Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA > WRCCA Information

Notices

Thread: How do we increase public awareness of crawling and events?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Don't forget about stopping by 1:1 offroad and motorcycle shops. Print some flyers with your club info, local hobby shop info, dates and times of gatherings, some cool pics of local rigs, etc etc. If they drive the real thing there is a damn good chance they'd like to drive a mini version as well, or at least come to check it out.
this is how I got reintroduced to this stuff. axial donated an ax10 to freak fest last year and the raffle had a ton of tickets in it. afterwards there were a few guys on the rocks at Rausch creek with them and I was like that's pretty cool, maybe my son would like this. we off road in my jeep a lot so this is fun when we can't get to the local orv park. not to mention it teaches him a lot about how trucks work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
fade2black is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Default Re: How do we increase public awareness of crawling and events?

Some thing we could do to keep guest from thinking comp crawling is dead.

Give the rules revision numbers instead of years as labels.
Makes it look like the ball has been dropped.
We are more than half through 2014 and the 2013 rules are what is being used.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Exposure is KEY! Advertising, media attention, local demonstrations in key cities....whatever you choose, you need EXPOSURE! (NEGATIVE EXPOSURE IS COUNTER PRODUCTIVE ..."Rowdy")

There are a few websites, but you have to actively seek them...nothing that jumps out at you and says, "LOOK AT THIS RC CAR CRAWLING OVER GIANT BOLDERS - Click here to learn more"

My personal opinion is the Trail Comp Class is the next step to get folks into crawling. Its geared to include "off the shelf" rigs into some form of crawling comp at any experience level. The guy of the street with no idea can get a rig and go compete. Then when he is done, he can hit the trails with the same rig.

Comp rigs are very specific and expensive utility RCs. I personally cant afford to drop coin on a crawler specific rig, only to find out I dont like the hobby and now all that money is tied up in something that will just sit. Now you lost the person from any type of outdoor RC hobby.

With the advent of the Trail Comp Class, you can target more RC enthusiasts in hopes of getting others to move up into the Pro classes. But even still, you have to advertise and you have to get exposure! Big Squid RC, RC Car Action and a few other RC media outlets have started including "Scalers", "Crawlers" and "Trail class rigs" into their lanes, but nothing for Pro Crawlers anymore: "...that boat has sailed"! Since "Scalers" are starting to get attention, perhaps the Pro Crawler community should ride the banwagon and set up demonstrations in areas that are promoting Trail Rigs or Scalers in hopes that crawlers get some attention.....again, segue (ˈsegwā) approach. Again, EXPOSURE!

Contact the LHS and get permission to set up a DEMO like CFM did a few posts up. Get the local newspaper do a story on the next local event; leisure section. Start bombarding RC Car Action with stories and photos from all over the country. The more attention, the more exposure, the more notoriety.....gotta start somewhere.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
(NEGATIVE EXPOSURE IS COUNTER PRODUCTIVE ..."Rowdy").
Really, you have no idea, what have you done? If standing up for what's right and calling spades spades is wrong then I suppose I am guilty, BUT nobody cares about this hobby more than I.

I like many others spend thousands of hard earned money traveling to all these events, not to mention sponsoring many of them, and answering questions, and lending a hand all the way. I attended all 3 east coast qualifiers this year and spent my fair share of time, judging, course building, and doing whatever else was asked of me (I saw many others do the same thing at all 3 events).

This past weekend there was a photographer from RC car action at NENQ and he said all you have to do is call and they will be there.

Last edited by ROWDY RACING; 06-30-2014 at 12:39 PM.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #45
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Exposure is key...and it starts at the club level. Again, several weeks before each comp place a nice glossy ad at every hobby shop within 20 miles of the comp site. Do this religiously and watch what happens. Big comps won't "succeed" without clubs as feeders. We need an organized national effort to build clubs, not just put on a few big comps. Build it [clubs] and they will come [big comps].

Thanks for your [unpolished] efforts Rowdy. Love you man!

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post
We need an organized national effort to build clubs.
who, what, how?
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #47
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx View Post
who, what, how?
Recall our text conversation from 6 months ago?

I'm trying to paste it here on RCC but it comes out at 19000000000 characters when it is not that long.

Anyone know how to paste text into an RCC post? Please help.

I'm still volunteering to get the clubs section organized and keep it up to date just give me RCC power to do so.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm still volunteering to get the clubs section organized and keep it up to date just give me RCC power to do so.

I am not an adimin of this site so options are limited. The only option is for you to copy existing info into a thread you start. After that I can hide the section you do not feel works any longer.

Because its the club section the thread might initially need approval so don't panic. Once visible it should work like a normal thread.

After that then what?

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 06-30-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #49
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:

I am not an adimin of this site so options are limited. The only option is for you to copy existing info into a thread you start. After that I can hide the section you do not feel works any longer.

Because its the club section the thread might initially need approval so don't panic. Once visible it should work like a normal thread.

After that then what?
That sounds like a starter for the RCC part. I'm still trying to figure out how to paste text. Hold on. I don't want to retype all of what I sent you.

J
Old 06-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog;
Hold on. I don't want to retype all of what I sent you.

J
Screenshot. Post image! Maybe?
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Red face Re: How do we increase public awareness of crawling and events?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Really, you have no idea, what have you done? If standing up for what's right and calling spades spades is wrong then I suppose I am guilty, BUT nobody cares about this hobby more than I.

I like many others spend thousands of hard earned money traveling to all these events, not to mention sponsoring many of them, and answering questions, and lending a hand all the way. I attended all 3 east coast qualifiers this year and spent my fair share of time, judging, course building, and doing whatever else was asked of me (I saw many others do the same thing at all 3 events).

This past weekend there was a photographer from RC car action at NENQ and he said all you have to do is call and they will be there.

just so we are clear - I was simply poking at you for being rambunctious on the forums and not commenting on your ability or inability to bring exposure to the hobby. Thank you for all you do for us!
Old 06-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
That sounds like a starter for the RCC part. I'm still trying to figure out how to paste text. Hold on. I don't want to retype all of what I sent you.

J

"Ctrl V" = paste
Old 06-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #53
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
Screenshot. Post image! Maybe?
I can't get the text into one screen on my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
"Ctrl V" = paste

No form of text works even if I run it through a word doc. Let me try Excel. That worked!

Here is the text I sent you Fish.

"Start with RCC. Get club section updated and keep current with leader contact info. Identify active clubs. Post up blank flier files for leaders to use to advertise comps at LHS. Make 2.2S an anything goes rookie driver class that all clubs must run. Put together a small comp how to pamphlet for leaders. Let vendors know where club list is so they can contact clubs. Let club leaders elect rules/advert committee (RAC). Keep the RAC current (two year tenures). The RAC should issue a quarterly updated pamphlet with ideas and suggestions. Stay involved with the active club leaders. Let the advertisers pay for the pamphlets. Give pamphlets to LHS too. Print 5 pamphlets per active sanctioned club and start there. Let the RAC do something other than make comp rules. This is a lot of work and some stripped down version may work too. Regardless, get current and organized via RCC and start there. Club leaders would crap (in a cool way) if you/RAC called them to offer advice or help"

End of text.

Now....

Fish, since I'm never going to be able to help crawling via the USRCCA (numerous requests to be So Cal rep denied...so we still don't have one) may I at least help crawling (other than with burger pics) by being a moderator on the club section. I'll get it oganized via google docs and keep everything up to date. I'll work on the flier files and take care of the printing/mailing if I have to. I'd rather put effort in to the local scenes. Qualifiers are cool but they burn out good people and bring in few new crawlers (see WCC). Clubs are where the fun is. In the end my efforts will benefit your organization so please help me help you [indirectly].

Jason/Badger do not return my PMs. Please help...and give SoCal a Rep please, JD resigned forever ago!

J
Old 06-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #54
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Jason/Badger do not return my PMs.
PM Harley to tell them to.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Make 2.2S an anything goes rookie driver class
J
To avoid confusion I deleted everything else from the quoted post.

PLEASE do not do this to 2.2s. It is in my opinion the most fun comp class to run.

I don't know how other clubs do it but at WPaC comps we run this class as it is in the rules BUT if anyone new shows up with something out of spec or something like a wraith (as an example) they are still allowed to run anyway. There is no reason at LOCAL events clubs can't just let people run what they have. We do and it still goes smoothly. The newcomers still get the same amount of time and the same point system the rest of us use. The only difference is they are informed upfront they can't win the series using an out of spec/illegal rig. We have had many comps where people show up with stock wraiths and they try to run the same courses we do anyway and they almost always tell us how much fun it was and thank us for allowing them to run with us.

Last edited by stevejr; 06-30-2014 at 06:11 PM.
stevejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #56
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Don't worry. I do not have the power to do anything like that. That was just an idea. I'm still hung up on doing anything possible to get a drivers class. I believe I made that comment before the trail class even existed.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:

Fish, since I'm never going to be able to help crawling via the USRCCA (numerous requests to be So Cal rep denied...so we still don't have one) may I at least help crawling (other than with burger pics) by being a moderator on the club section. I'll get it oganized via google docs and keep everything up to date. I'll work on the flier files and take care of the printing/mailing if I have to. I'd rather put effort in to the local scenes. Qualifiers are cool but they burn out good people and bring in few new crawlers (see WCC). Clubs are where the fun is. In the end my efforts will benefit your organization so please help me help you [indirectly].

Jason/Badger do not return my PMs. Please help...and give SoCal a Rep please, JD resigned forever ago!

J
With all the talk about crawling becoming a dying sport, you'd think the powers-to-be would welcome any help from dedicated members. The club section here on RCC is in tatters with little or no updates. Someone willing to update all club info should be snapped up immediately, IMO.

If JD was the So Cal rep and now there isn't one...why not?
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #58
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Quote:

J

Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
may I at least help crawling (other than with burger pics) by being a moderator on the club section. I'll get it oganized via google docs and keep everything up to date. I'll work on the flier files and take care of the printing/mailing if I have to. I'd rather put effort in to the local scenes. Qualifiers are cool but they burn out good people and bring in few new crawlers (see WCC). Clubs are where the fun is. In the end my efforts will benefit your organization so please help me help you [indirectly].

J

Quote:

1) I cannot add or create moderators.
2) I believe you can create an thread and do everything you have mentioned in the quoted text without being a moderator.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #60
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
1) I cannot add or create moderators.
2) I believe you can create an thread and do everything you have mentioned in the quoted text without being a moderator.
Thanks for the help man.

J

How do we increase public awareness of crawling and events? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trail/crawling clubs/events???? 6sharky9 Ohio 7 02-05-2014 05:15 AM
Any RC Crawling Events during Jeep Easter? lwb Sami Utah 8 03-18-2010 06:46 AM
Crawling places in AL, both public/paid and hangouts Loose Screws Alabama 3 01-18-2010 05:01 PM
weekly crawling events??????? down2earths10 Utah 5 01-08-2010 12:29 PM
Canadians, where and when are the snow crawling events? bonmot General Crawlers 0 07-25-2008 12:23 PM