Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA > WRCCA Information

Notices

Thread: 2017 .... its coming and we need growth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
Custom Carbon Fiber

Default 2017 .... its coming and we need growth

Ok 2016 is rolling and I think a lot of us can say there has been some growth to competitive 2.2 and Super classes. But can we say its growth we have seen years before? Is it growth becuase veterans took a break and are slowly dusting off their trucks? Or is it growth with new faces?

I think (maybe) a lot of us could agree its a mix but more of it being veterans dusting off trucks. How do we get those new, actually real new drivers to try the comp side?

Not trying to lite fires or turn anything into a finger pointing thread but looking for real input for ideas on what we as a community can push to have changed, rearranged, added, retracted .... something to try with serious intent to get our hobby back where it was. I think the keyboard sometimes hides the passion a lot of us have about our hobby and that holds us back from trying new things.

Heres my thought into Shafty ..... much of which I think gets misunderstood in other discussions. My heart is in sporty, I truly believe its the stepping stone for many and something we should utilize to attract new people. Many I have sold the un-Stuck too I find telling me they dont even bother with here or comping big events. Most tell me its because traveling to an event they soemtimes feel they cant compete with the level of drivers that are there. Ya kind of feeds into that everyone gets a cookie mentality now but how do we change that image or thought processing?

2.2 use to be shafties all the time then MOA came and the field changed and the winners became the new truck. Shafties went into the closet until the 2.2S class came out. We saw more trucks come out full of dust and we saw new people showing up. The class brought positive growth I felt and loved the 'grass roots' style again. You could compete with something that cost half as much as an MOA.

Then over time innovation and limits were pushed and I think we reached a point where new drivers saw their pockets emptying and the pros winning. The feeling of being competitive on an equal level faded and we lost people. Yes that wasnt all that happened but if you look at the positive side of the other changes I think we got lucky RCCrawler and USRCCA just didnt close the doors and leave everyone out dry.

So lets discuss what could possibly, hopefully, help bring some new drivers around and grow the sport again. Lets work on 2.2S as our growth spurt.

Ive always been a believer in class separation and have verbally mentioned it several times. Even when the class was created 5 years ago but I think it was misinterpreted/understood.

Ive always said we needed a 'No Drive' drivers list but Ive never meant it to be a way of telling anyone they couldnt compete in the class. Ive meant more of a separation between Pro and Novice drivers.

Heres what Im always thinking and believeing could work and wouldnt even put a work load increase on event hosts. We seperate the drivers by wins and their own choice of classes.

We create a Pro and a separate Novice entry level into the 2.2S class. Its not an extra class, its not any different courses, its all judged the same, scored the same, teched the same. Nothing about the class rules is different. Both class drivers would run the same exact courses, You would just be competing against similar skill drivers. Ill get into vehicle separation shortly too because that would play into it.

If you have won a Worlds, Nation or even any of the qualifiers any year then you would be added to a No Drive list. All that means is if you won a 2.2S qualifier/championship (Ill use those terms just out of habit) then you couldnt run the 'novice' class at the big events. If you are a past 2.2S National/Worlds champion then again you would have to run in the 'Pro' level of the 2.2S class at big events.

I believe this would take the fear of competing against serious veterans out of the picture and maybe help people feel they are competing against drivers closer to their own skill level.

Now if a Novice class driver won any big events in the novice class their name would be added to the no drive list for the following year and they would have to bump up to the Pro level. We wouldnt instantly make them bump like a break out class for the same year, it would only effect them for the following year and after.

Now what if a Novice driver wanted to try the Pro level? We let them, we're not gonna tell them they cant until they win. But we also wont hold them to it either. If they ran for instance the Pro level in NENC and felt they didnt or werent good enough then we would let them fall back to the Novice class for lets say ECC. But once they won a big event then there would be no going back for the following years.

Make sense? In the racing world they have a rookie class for racers. You cant have any level or type of sponsor or even put sponsor stickers on your car. It is straight rookies. Its more to take the fear of driver experience out of their minds and attract new people.

Now rules ..... we need them and we need straight forward ones that help driver wallets but dont hold them back or hold parts companies back. So heres where I think our big help could come from.

Body rules for both driver classes. We need to stick to having a shell of some sort on the trucks. No body less at all, bodies would stay being made of Lexan. Also they would have to meet A, B, C measurements like it use to be. None of this 'including' the frame/chassis stuff. Put them back to the old way for the 2.2S class both Pro and Novice level. Theres nothing attractive about seeing a body hacked up to just the cab so it meets the roof rule and having a chassis 8'' long. Keep it simple .... the lexan body must measure A, B, C .... 8'' x 3'' x 3'' like it was. Plain and simple and everyone has to meet it. Heck we could even maybe see more involvement from the bigger companies with this.

Now lets look at truck costs. I can understand how a sporty can cost 1000-2000$ but whats the first question someone always asks when they see you practicing? How much does something like that cost?

How do we keep costs down for new drivers? Fresh into the hobby with bare minimal equipment or none at all. Rules.

Novice class .....

What about chassis material limits? What if we took the Carbon Fiber price out of the equation and limit it to G10? We could cut chassis prices almost/virtually in half. Drivers could get the same exact designs that are already out there and even be able to use that chassis in Pro level classes. They wouldnt have to buy new chassis just to move up. It would be their choice to do that if they wanted. They would still get pro level chassis but at a cost saving. We already have very competitive chassis's out there in G10 performing at top level so we know the material isnt holding them back.

Weight minimum. Again its a rule everyone would have to follow so the novice field would be closer to each other. It would take the mind set of 'have to be under **lbs' to win' out of the driver. We all drove 5-6+ pound trucks for years and tuned them to win. What about a 5* minimum .... for all novice class drivers? It doesnt matter where they stack it, what bias they run or even it 2lbs was in the roof. They all have to way the same.

Yes smart drivers will stack their front axles, stack it low or what ever but thats all part of learning. Light drive trains and as much weight below the axles as possible. Again its not gonna limit innovation or lose sales for anyone, it can only level the field by having a minimum.

We really cant and shouldnt limit radio equipment so I would never think of that. I would though think to limit batteries though, 3S max. With the motors we have today and ESC's we really dont need 4S but again a rule everyone has to follow in the novice class can only help to simplify things. Besides trying to handle a 4S and being new probably wont help someone trying to learn how to drive.

Tires ..... not a limit on types or brands but what if we got the thought of cut and shuts out? You want to compete but now you have to buy 80$ tires and cut them in half or buy 80$ of one tire and 80$ of another just to cut them all up and glue them together. Its not gonna make you win by doing it but if there was a rule limiting it then drivers may not feel like they lost because some one else spent 150$ on tires and they didnt.

I believe in my heart 2.2S class is the growth of our sport thats why I always jump into discussions when it comes to changes that effect that class. 2.2M is the big dogs, its the crown jewel of our sport so I always roll with its decisions and rule changes. If we could bring more into the shafty class by financially helping them and leveling the field I think we could see a positive growth again.

Again Im never one for creating or adding classes, this would be more of a way to separate experience and help ease the shell shock of getting into crawling.

Events wouldn't have to do anything different except separate scores by driver classes. No extra courses, no extra judges, no different scoring .... just simply separate driver numbers by driver class.

2016 is half over ....... if we start conversing now maybe as a collective community we could bring life back to crawling.

Ideas .. Input .. Thoughts ????

How do we attract those drivers that crawl around among friends to our clubs and events?

Last edited by Robbob; 07-29-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2016, 12:08 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2017 .... its coming and we need growth

Good points Rob.
There are some newbies out there that dont mind spending $ why limit them? It all boils doen to driver skill anyway...... plus who doesnt lie when.some one asks how much we've spent on our builds..... i know i have. Some people count the truck loads of $ theyve spent on items not being used, special shocks (rcbros) when a regualr set of shocks would do just fine....

I dunno. 2.2s is a good iumping point for many drivers..... but it wasnt for me. It was the xr10 kit and a bunch of cool and soild dudes that brought me to comp crawling.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
Custom Carbon Fiber

Agree some don't mind buying the best of the best from the start, that's cool too.

If we think of it that way then are helping the class and new driver who is on a 500$ (example) budget or are we discouraging them and pushing them towards a 400$ rtr scaler?

I wouldn't call it limiting them ..... I would call it Rules.

Guidelines everyone has to follow to run in that class. Our local race track has the Dare Stock class. Nothing really stock about it but they have guidelines, rules to what they can and cant use. It doesn't matter if someone wants to spend a million dollars on the car, they still can but it has to conform to the rules they set.

They can still spend a million dollars but now the driver just starting doesn't feel like they have to just because someone else did. They all run the same stuff.

Similar to how I started, buddy of mine said hey can you make a tube frame for my Scorpion. I was like wtf is a scorpion, the kyosho? He showed me and I started digging around and found this site. Built his frame, had fun doing it so bought a bunch of parts to do my own. Ran into a long time racing friend that was crawling and he got me hooked. Shafty was all we had really back then for 2.2 so maybe that's why my heart is in boosting growth that way lol. But Ive been into a lot of corners of R/C for almost 30 years, I know what it involves to compete.

If we don't try something then we already failed ourselves.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I agree.

But can and cant rules for any class can seem arbitrary to the new comer and veteran. All of us learned by trial and error.

What gets ppl started is a kit or rtr. They build from there.

Ibknow this seems like a non action type of thing to rely on. But we as experienced vets can use our knowledge to help others learn (rules, strategy, how to set course, spot for them, help them learn how to drive)

The the idea behind class separation is a good idea too. They're score will also reflect how they compare against the pros too.

One thing to consider. Your pro class. Why do you want it so small? There are plenty of good drivers that would fall into your novice class.

Im trying to think of an east coast guy that is consistently good gives eveyone a run for their money but hasnt pulled off the win yet at a big event. I can think of a handful of west coast guys that would humilate a novice.

Growth is good, but we want good growth..... ppl who came to crawling when it was big weren't necessarily quality people. We want those driven by competition not discouraged by it. In comparison im new to the game. But getting beat week after week, month after month, and year after year drives me to learn and practice. My skills are dinally catching up to my car.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

if it was so easy to have a rockspot "race track and hobbyshop" like idea.. I would have rentals.

its like people only wanna bash or go race once in awhile.. to many people look at crawling and automatically say.. that's way to slow for me.

at Washtenaw rc raceway every winter.. there are slash 2wd's that can be rented.. and yeah its mostly kids but they are moving up and out of novice class and getting their own vehicles by the next winter season.

^this is easier said than done.

next idea.. is to actually have vendors that go to an event have a rental or two.

but thieves come to mind no? have them tagged. and serial number too maybe.

maybe im just rambling.. but I would like to see 2.2 mod and s.. super and 1.9 comp to hit the us like a freight train.. but it wont happen. not in Michigan anyway.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #6
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
I know this seems like a non action type of thing to rely on. But we as experienced vets can use our knowledge to help others learn (rules, strategy, how to set course, spot for them, help them learn how to drive)

The the idea behind class separation is a good idea too. They're score will also reflect how they compare against the pros too.
Yup we can help coach and spot them on courses at events.

Quote:
One thing to consider. Your pro class. Why do you want it so small? There are plenty of good drivers that would fall into your novice class.

Im trying to think of an east coast guy that is consistently good gives eveyone a run for their money but hasnt pulled off the win yet at a big event. I can think of a handful of west coast guys that would humilate a novice.

Growth is good, but we want good growth..... ppl who came to crawling when it was big weren't necessarily quality people. We want those driven by competition not discouraged by it. In comparison im new to the game. But getting beat week after week, month after month, and year after year drives me to learn and practice. My skills are dinally catching up to my car.

For the most part our sporty veterans wouldn't fall into the novice class because of vehicle limits. 90% of them are already on CF chassis and running 4* rigs. Sure if they want to sandbag backwards we cant stop them but for the most part our veteran/seasoned drivers have honor and pride in themselves and the push to beat who evers on top already. Plus with a no drive list all it takes is one sand bagged win at a big event and they are out for the following years.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:19 AM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

For starters, I'd like to see 2.2s NOT be called Sporty and vice versa. To me they are very different and even though it's a nit-picky kind of issue, I think it's an important one.

Sportsman or "Sporty" is what I think of when we were all talking about this years ago. Low budget, low tech rigs. This is what you'd see at a local comp or get-together.

2.2s to me is the high dollar, high tech offshoot of Sporty. It no longer embodies what Sportsman started out as, and is basically seen as a Pay to Play type of class for many people. Let's face it, 2.2s is not what comp was before MOA.

Take a stroll through some of the old TLT and AX-10 picture threads stickied at the top of each section. Those are the trucks I think of when someone says Sporty, and that is where I feel the stepping stone is for those in scale looking for more.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Have you guys locally tired running a "run what you brung" class? IMO if local clubs can't get guys to show up for a RWYB class, then changing any class or rules in place now doesn't make sense...
RWYB is an open class to all rigs bring your scx10, wraith, wheely king, red cat, ect... come on out and crawl competition style courses... in this class you could toss out class specs, lose point out. but keep point system and a set time per couese depending on number drivers.
Build this class to bring new drivers.... good luck...

Last edited by tapped-out; 07-28-2016 at 08:09 AM.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Here is my main input regarding growth of any class from "new blood". The primary enabler is events, particularly hobby shops and established clubs that are hosting events. But we still need the vehicle that is easy to obtain. It needs to be a vehicle that can be practically purchased as RTR or kit, something with few or no mods to get started. The good old days of having to piece together rigs is what we are still doing a decade later, and that is fantastic for the motivated folks and for pushing innovation. But it is an extremely high bar for a newbie, or even a veteran R/C enthusiast that has built 20 kits. Buying a vehicle just for axles and tranny will not encourage the mass market to build up a comp crawler.

My suggestion: A novice shafty class with big body or else stock measurements. SCX10, Ascender, trailfinder, make a list of what people can buy with solid axles. Require aftermarket bodies to be "big" like what comes on these vehicles, just like the original ruleset. Keep measurements and tech to a minimum and let the gate width regulate vehicle size. We basically have this already, the Trail class. It needs streamlining and fresh promotion, but the concept is there.

I would encourage people to talk with local hobby shops and manufacturers about this. Get their opinion on the sort of vehicle and event they would be able to support. I've been doing this for years, and the answers they give are completely opposite of what RCCA comp crawlers have been willing to get behind. Most everyone involved in the RCCA comp scene has been so afraid of "selling out" and watering down , we have just watched the RC crawler segment boom while RCCA events stay even at best. Be willing to get rid of on-course judges. Be willing to bow down to an RTR and the performance limits they have. Be willing to throw away everything you know as competition. Getting out of OUR comfort zone will be the only way to make OTHERS comfortable in competition.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Outside looking in I think the weight minimum and pro vs novice separation are solid ideas. I love my 4s but I support the idea of a 3s limit to keep costs down for newbies.

The one gripe I have is the rule allowing rigs to go flying through a gate and so long as the rig can fish flop around and end up on its tires before time runs out it counts. Is it a driver class or basher class? Pick one, it can't be both.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
For starters, I'd like to see 2.2s NOT be called Sporty and vice versa. To me they are very different and even though it's a nit-picky kind of issue, I think it's an important one.

Sportsman or "Sporty" is what I think of when we were all talking about this years ago. Low budget, low tech rigs. This is what you'd see at a local comp or get-together.

2.2s to me is the high dollar, high tech offshoot of Sporty. It no longer embodies what Sportsman started out as, and is basically seen as a Pay to Play type of class for many people. Let's face it, 2.2s is not what comp was before MOA.

Take a stroll through some of the old TLT and AX-10 picture threads stickied at the top of each section. Those are the trucks I think of when someone says Sporty, and that is where I feel the stepping stone is for those in scale looking for more.
2.2S is named 2.2 Shafty. I felt the same way about the sportsman name, it has no bearing on the actual class. And so it was changed.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:32 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Your talking about restricting usually 1 or 2 guys from a club with your qualifications based on wins history. That seems like a waste. I agree with some of your rig rule suggestions. Going back to lexan requirement in 2.2s seems great.

I believe the real issue is the access to RTR or kit rigs from major manufacturers. Axial took a huge risk going out on a limb when they released the original AX10. There wasn't a crawler segment of the market. They essentially created it based on what they saw happening on RCC waaaaaay back and guys starting to scratch build crawlers out of TLT and then WK axles. The AX10 was a massive success and suddenly everybody wanted one, hobby shops supported crawling, and local clubs exploded. Now the 2.2 class is dying. Nobody is really supporting it as a manufacturer. Without a new shafty rig being released that sets the world on fire again I think it's going to be a struggle to really grow membership in local clubs and the competitive 2.2 classes in general. At some point everything started going to scale focus. I'm not sure how that happened or when. I took a 6yr break from RC crawling and just came back this spring. I used to run 2.2 competitively. I competed as often as possible locally and traveled to several national events. When I came back to the hobby in the spring it was all scale and I couldn't really find a local club which was active, at least not like the old club I was in. I even picked up a set of built Berg axles in anticipation of competing in 2.2 Pro but now I'm not motivated to build that rig. Instead I built an SCX10 and a Wraith. Without manufacturer support I just don't see competitive 2.2 exploding. There needs to be an entry level rig. Maybe Axial pulls another magic trick but it seems unlikely.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #13
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
Have you guys locally tired running a "run what you brung" class? IMO if local clubs can't get guys to show up for a RWYB class, then changing any class or rules in place now doesn't make sense...
RWYB is an open class to all rigs bring your scx10, wraith, wheely king, red cat, ect... come on out and crawl competition style courses... in this class you could toss out class specs, lose point out. but keep point system and a set time per couese depending on number drivers.
Build this class to bring new drivers.... good luck...
A couple local guys have been doing the loaner system to anyone who wants to try the class for the day. They've converted one scaler so far.

Years ago when I had more upper involvement in the club I started the LSO class. It was 'limited shafty only' not the best name but it was clear the type of truck you needed. We saw growth and guys traveling two hours just to compete. The following year was when USRCCA created the 2.2S class so it helped keep drivers interested and some moved up. With family life and the business now I don't have the time to push for that booster locally. I leave it to the club runners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
Your talking about restricting usually 1 or 2 guys from a club with your qualifications based on wins history. That seems like a waste.
Local clubs can, and should, always do whats best for their club. Run the drivers all together, New guys can watch and learn. If we have separation like this on a bigger level then maybe that club could see a couple more faces show up one week. Maybe next week they have 5 new guys and 4 pro guys, now they can say hey lets separate the scores and you got 5 new guys scoring against each other. Not the 4 pros all running negative course scores. [/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
I believe the real issue is the access to RTR or kit rigs from major manufacturers. Axial took a huge risk going out on a limb when they released the original AX10. There wasn't a crawler segment of the market. They essentially created it based on what they saw happening on RCC waaaaaay back and guys starting to scratch build crawlers out of TLT and then WK axles. The AX10 was a massive success and suddenly everybody wanted one, hobby shops supported crawling, and local clubs exploded. Now the 2.2 class is dying. Nobody is really supporting it as a manufacturer. Without a new shafty rig being released that sets the world on fire again I think it's going to be a struggle to really grow membership in local clubs and the competitive 2.2 classes in general. At some point everything started going to scale focus. I'm not sure how that happened or when. I took a 6yr break from RC crawling and just came back this spring. I used to run 2.2 competitively. I competed as often as possible locally and traveled to several national events. When I came back to the hobby in the spring it was all scale and I couldn't really find a local club which was active, at least not like the old club I was in. I even picked up a set of built Berg axles in anticipation of competing in 2.2 Pro but now I'm not motivated to build that rig. Instead I built an SCX10 and a Wraith. Without manufacturer support I just don't see competitive 2.2 exploding. There needs to be an entry level rig. Maybe Axial pulls another magic trick but it seems unlikely.

My opinion is Axial saw steady growth, simple and clear cut rules and a corner of the market no one was in. We had other suppliers come out with shafty kits but I think the turn to MOA was happening and it took the shine off them. Even with their failures we could have seen some bigger company involvement.

Now the class has blown up so much that manufacturers probably look at it and figure drivers wont use anything but axles ... why bother investing into a kit.

I took 3 years off and said virtually the same thing coming back. I watched a shafty run an entire pro course my first comp back and that's when I said that class got away from its grass roots.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #14
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
My suggestion: A novice shafty class with big body or else stock measurements. SCX10, Ascender, trailfinder, make a list of what people can buy with solid axles. Require aftermarket bodies to be "big" like what comes on these vehicles, just like the original ruleset. Keep measurements and tech to a minimum and let the gate width regulate vehicle size. We basically have this already, the Trail class. It needs streamlining and fresh promotion, but the concept is there.
Would those vehicles help increase the 2.2S class type vehicle? Or would they tend to paint the image of 'Scale' class? I can understand the cross breeding but would any of those 3 trucks mentioned bring drivers into the 2.2 classes?

Quote:
I would encourage people to talk with local hobby shops and manufacturers about this. Get their opinion on the sort of vehicle and event they would be able to support. I've been doing this for years, and the answers they give are completely opposite of what RCCA comp crawlers have been willing to get behind. Most everyone involved in the RCCA comp scene has been so afraid of "selling out" and watering down , we have just watched the RC crawler segment boom while RCCA events stay even at best. Be willing to get rid of on-course judges. Be willing to bow down to an RTR and the performance limits they have. Be willing to throw away everything you know as competition. Getting out of OUR comfort zone will be the only way to make OTHERS comfortable in competition.
I think the crawler segment boomed in scale trucks because the comp scene was left to be seen as a 'builders' class once Axial got out. It became the battery wars of Oval racing 15 years ago. Ye who could spend the most was probably gonna win in peoples eyes. Scale style trucks took off because they came in RTR forms and the 'competition' feeling didn't appear to be there.

We wont see manufacturer involvement into the 2.2 comp scene again if we cant find a way to build a starting spot with rules to the vehicle that attracts new drivers. We wont see another Axial, Venom or HPI size company attempt at a kit again. Bring a kit that looks comparable to what we are already running in the shafty class, not a channel frame replica looking body.

My opinion bringing the Trail class wont help grow the 2.2 competition side of things. Not saying though it couldn't help the event attendances but it would be another class to add to a pretty booked schedule for event hosts. Im more thinking how can we improve the attendance for an 'already' running class at events. It wouldn't be watering anything down or having to step back, more of a lateral move to help a vertical direction for all of us.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Since nobody is doing a real 2.2 crawler like was being pumped out by the conex full and shipped over the ocean every single day 10 years ago why not have kind of a hybrid class using what is available? Call it a formula toyota approach if you will. Start off with a vaterra or axial ascender... err I mean vaterra ascender or axial scx-10II Pull the body and all the scale junk zip tied to it off and drop a crawler body onto it with crawler tires. Run what you bung style that would allow scale nerds to do something useful with their rig without having to build a completely different rig to compete. 2 speed trans? Sure. Have a transfer case setup? Sure. It won't take long before what does and does not work becomes rather apparent.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 07-28-2016 at 09:54 AM.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Before we change/modify any class that's running nationally. I think it should start at local cub levels.
Loner rigs are a great idea most guys I know would let any newbie drive their rigs... but the loner rig and RWYB class aren't even close to the same thought.

Run what you brung class guy show up with rig they own and don't feel awkward and afraid of Breaking someone else's toy truck.
They also get to run a comp course with no pressure and hopefully like it and move up into our other classes.

Last edited by tapped-out; 07-28-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
There are very few times a year where I feel an on course judge is necessary. At local events the judging clip boards are left on course and the group running together judges each other. But at national events it's important for event coordinators to organize judging to provide a quality event. How they do that is up to them.

Local clubs are the key for growth. No one will on their own build a car 1.9, 2.2 s/mod, or super and then travel to a national event to compete for their first time.

I'm not understanding what you mean by throwing out competition....
Old 07-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #18
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
Before we change/modify any class that's running nationally. I think it should start at local cub levels.
Quote:
Local clubs are the key for growth. No one will on their own build a car 1.9, 2.2 s/mod, or super and then travel to a national event to compete for their first time.

But if we got the ball rolling and rules written/added for an extension of the class to say ..... now we give clubs all the same direction of how to build and run the class. They can adapt for their needs but its a guide to go by.

Think of them more as vehicle requirements/specs instead of rules maybe?

We limit the chance of one club saying yes 4 lb truck is ok then having a driver show up to run another clubs event and they say no we run 5* trucks.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

If you start a RWUB class there's no specs... just a competition style courses to run with no worry of pointing out... just do the best you can...
A few of us from BLC are a running a RWUB type series mostly scale rigs but if a guy showed up with a red cat crawler or a Wraith ect. they can still compete and get the competition crawling atmosphere. To see if they like it or not... we run a no point out on course, but we keep a trimmer running set @ 6min. To keep things flowing.
Still fine tuning the GTG'S. this Saturday is our 2nd GTG/comp.
Reason I'm helping run this style of comps. is strictly to introduce scale guys/newbies to competition rock crawling, In hopes they crossover.
I also bring my comp rigs to show off and burn a pk or 2.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

tapped out has the good idea. but getting clubs and hobby shops to continue to do this is the hard part. and the lack there of..

"its to slow for me" is the biased opinion of people who only bash.. and its a big problem.

if somebody doesn't like the way the food tastes they wont eat the food...

as soon as the "twisted crawlers" club here in Detroit pretty much turned to dust.. I haven't seen a single comp that was close to me.

if the places are close the newbloods will come. if its to far.. they wont even bother.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

2017 .... its coming and we need growth - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Through the growth meanbgreen Scale Videos! 1 03-11-2013 10:02 AM
MGH Mini Growth Hormone tybalt6691 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 10 06-15-2012 06:17 PM
the rapid growth of rc crawling. joehein Chit Chat 14 11-05-2007 09:00 PM
RC Crawling growth!!! JIA's Dad Chit Chat 58 09-12-2007 05:46 AM