RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Wyoming (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/wyoming/)
-   -   Any sweet camping/crawling spots in Wy.? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/wyoming/248767-any-sweet-camping-crawling-spots-wy.html)

Ramset 05-09-2010 09:07 PM

Any sweet camping/crawling spots in Wy.?

Looking for sweet rocks in Wyoming. My Brother and I are just getting into scale crawling. He Lives in Rapid City, SD and I live in Lakewood, CO. We want to get Together and camp and crawl somewhere near half way, which is Douglas, Wy. We are both willing to go the extra mile to find a sweet spot. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Ben

666 05-09-2010 09:09 PM

I know I drove by a formation called Split Rock, looked to be a park or something not really sure. But looked to be some awesome rock!!

I don't even remember where in WY it was!! :oops:

dkur 05-09-2010 09:36 PM

Split Rock is North of Muddy Gap on the way to Lander. Muddy Gap is between Rawlins and Casper. Not sure if you can camp out there. It might be private. Just because a place is a landmark doesn't mean it has public access in Wyoming. Ranchers are pretty particular about their property. Some are cordial while others are downright fiesty. Get a map which shows public land and private before venturing off into the unknown around Wyoming. Trespassers Fees can range around $750 per person. OUCH!!!!

If you fish, you and your brother might want to meet up at Pathfinder Reservoir or Alcova Reservoir. There is some good crawling in those areas. You just have to watch out for rattlers. Another place about the halfway point is Casper Mtn. On top back in Skunk Hollow just off of Strube Loop is some excellent trail rock as well as comp crawler rocks. It's all park land so perfectly legal to tread off-road 2.2 style. ;-) When the snow melts off that is where I will be spending a lot of my time.

Another place you might want to try is off of !-25 a short ways called Ayers Natural Bridge. It is just west of Douglas around 20 miles or so. Just follow the signs.

I try and keep my eyes open for spots accessible to everyone so I will keep you updated if I can remember. LOL

jon8christine 05-10-2010 07:21 AM

Louis Lake is pretty good for both. I've got a video posted of it.

Mr.Joshua 05-11-2010 09:21 PM

Has anyone been to Glendo Park? I always see it on the East side of the interstate when heading to Denver but have never checked it out. Are there rocks out there or just a bunch of dirt?

Ramset 05-12-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Joshua (Post 2450204)
Has anyone been to Glendo Park? I always see it on the East side of the interstate when heading to Denver but have never checked it out. Are there rocks out there or just a bunch of dirt?

Hey little Brother, good to see you here. I am really looking forward to hanging with you for a couple of days. The last time was up on North Twin Cone Peak, what 9 years ago?

Mr.Joshua 05-12-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramset (Post 2451420)
Hey little Brother, good to see you here. I am really looking forward to hanging with you for a couple of days. The last time was up on North Twin Cone Peak, what 9 years ago?

Yeah buddy. Seems like forever ago...no 1:1 crawling this time huh? Looks like we will have some decisions to make w/ all the help from the Wyoming clan. Thanks to everyone for the tips! "thumbsup"

Ramset 07-05-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Joshua (Post 2451868)
Yeah buddy. Seems like forever ago...no 1:1 crawling this time huh? Looks like we will have some decisions to make w/ all the help from the Wyoming clan. Thanks to everyone for the tips! "thumbsup"

Any idea if you picked out a spot for us to meet up and what weekend? We being self employeed, we can do a few days during the week if you want. The second weekend in August is the last time i am willing to go, too close to the baby's due date."thumbsup"