Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: XTm X-Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default XTm X-Crawler

How is everyone liking it? I am very new to crawling and finding that my Losi MRC is a but too small for where I use it (a huge stone wall that literally goes a mile up the street) I've been staring at the XTM and thinking that maybe it is the truck for me.

So, any suggestions? Should I just dive in, or is there a better alternative.

I currently own:
Traxxas Stampede VXL which is modified to the point where the only reason it is a pede is because a few of the parts are made to fit a pede.
Traxxas Slash - rapidly becoming a frankenslash
Losi MRC
Tamiya Ford Focus MRC rally car

Is the XTM a good addition? What are its strengths and weaknesses?
dextermeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2008, 11:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextermeth View Post
How is everyone liking it? I am very new to crawling and finding that my Losi MRC is a but too small for where I use it (a huge stone wall that literally goes a mile up the street) I've been staring at the XTM and thinking that maybe it is the truck for me.

So, any suggestions? Should I just dive in, or is there a better alternative.

I currently own:
Traxxas Stampede VXL which is modified to the point where the only reason it is a pede is because a few of the parts are made to fit a pede.
Traxxas Slash - rapidly becoming a frankenslash
Losi MRC
Tamiya Ford Focus MRC rally car

Is the XTM a good addition? What are its strengths and weaknesses?
Have you checked the other threads on the X Crawler? I just bought one my self and should have it next week sometime. I know a few others on the site just got them as well so really to new for a good / bad sorta thing. That being said though the general consensus is it looks pretty well built. There are a few thing that some don't like, small chassis, shock mounting location but everyone seams to like the axles.
Sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I have. I guess I didn't find what I wanted to hear, which all of a sudden makes me think I made this decision before making this thread. ;)
Old 10-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Waiting on one more part for my crawler so i have not run it yet but take a good look at any crawler you buy they all need upgrades actually any rc car needs upgrades to make them perform the way you want it to.

Yes there are some caracteristics that need upgrading but i am very happy so far cant wait to go and play hopefully this weekend if the esc shows up...............kasper
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:52 AM   #5

In all honesty I think it will be a good crawler. I have looked at most of the other stuff and it all seams to be moded to the point that they don't even resemble the original. It looks like there are a few other 2.2's that are coming out on the market but none that are like this. It seams their are those that build their own from scratch and use the best components from different manufactures to get what they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper View Post
Waiting on one more part for my crawler so i have not run it yet but take a good look at any crawler you buy they all need upgrades actually any rc car needs upgrades to make them perform the way you want it to.

Yes there are some caracteristics that need upgrading but i am very happy so far cant wait to go and play hopefully this weekend if the esc shows up...............kasper
Did the kit come with pinion gears?

Last edited by Reflection; 10-12-2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: merging,cleaning up the thread
Old 10-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #6

Default My New X-Crawler

I have been running mine for about a week now, with no problems. I'm new to crawling but have been playing with r/c planes, boats, cars, trains and helicopters for almost 25 years. This thing is beautiful!! Almost too nice to scratch up on the rocks.
I'm running a pair of the Rooster ESC's with 55-turn motors, off a 4200mah 2-cell LiPo pack (which lasts for freakin' ever). The radio is a Spektrum DX6i with an AR6200 receiver.
When I added up what I'd spend in upgrades for a $200 AX10, and compared it to the X-Crawler's sub-$400 price tag, it seemed like a no brainer - for an all-metal kit.
Of course, now I also want an AX10, to bash around with while the X's batteries are charging.
sabrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrams View Post
I have been running mine for about a week now, with no problems. I'm new to crawling but have been playing with r/c planes, boats, cars, trains and helicopters for almost 25 years. This thing is beautiful!! Almost too nice to scratch up on the rocks.
I'm running a pair of the Rooster ESC's with 55-turn motors, off a 4200mah 2-cell LiPo pack (which lasts for freakin' ever). The radio is a Spektrum DX6i with an AR6200 receiver.
When I added up what I'd spend in upgrades for a $200 AX10, and compared it to the X-Crawler's sub-$400 price tag, it seemed like a no brainer - for an all-metal kit.
Of course, now I also want an AX10, to bash around with while the X's batteries are charging.
I saw that one coming when I started to get into this so I went a head and did that also. For electronics I went Tekin FSR x 2, Torque Master Pro Handwound 540 x 2, Castle BEC for the servos, Poly RC 2200mah 3 cell Lipo, Hitec 5955tg Titanium Geared Servo's. I'm in to it for about $1,000.00 I'm using an old Hitech LYNX 3D but I think I will need to step to a 2.4 gig.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #8

I have had the x crawler for a couple of weeks. It is a awesome truck. It rotates 180deg with no problem. The only problem is where the shock mounts to the lower link. It catches on the rocks. I mounted a set of Savage shocks by rc one and solved the problem. The photo shows the stock shock and location.

Andy O.
outacontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by outacontrol View Post
I have had the x crawler for a couple of weeks. It is a awesome truck. It rotates 180deg with no problem. The only problem is where the shock mounts to the lower link. It catches on the rocks. I mounted a set of Savage shocks by rc one and solved the problem. The photo shows the stock shock and location.

Andy O.

Wow that is a weird location. Do Maxx shocks put it right at the axles? I've got a spare set here.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:

Andy O.
Bring that thing out to the Ocoee white water center next Saturday. We are holding a comp there. Your more than welcome to join in or just hang out. I'd like to see one of these first hand.

As far as the shock mounts hanging,I seen that would be an issue a looong time ago. Link mounted shocks are kindly your only option though with a long wheelbase and a super tiny chassis. You might try rounding the edges of the mounts,might help some. Axle mounted shocks are,IMO,the best.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:

Andy O.
Can you post a pic of the shock mod that you did? being fairly new to this sport I saw this being an issue after buying the kit, watching countless youtube vid's. I was thinking of a way to put multiple tab locations on the upper portion of the link rod for the shock to mount to. It's almost like the design might have been a pre planned idea for an aftermarket part hummm.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Could you run a piece of flat alum to the top of the chassis plates and mount the shocks to the axle? Like I did to my CD2 chassis
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart bender View Post
Could you run a piece of flat alum to the top of the chassis plates and mount the shocks to the axle? Like I did to my CD2 chassis
Funny after looking at some of the competition rigs I was thing that same thing. Add an upper like you have on your rig then mount the shocks in the same location where the lower link rod attach to the axle's.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

how about just making your own chassis sideplates out of delrin or aluminum? that way you have your own dimensions for link and shock attachments. i'm suprised none of the chassis guys on here have jumped on it yet, looks like it would be a money-maker.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote