Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: X-Crawler issues I've encountered.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 05:09 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default X-Crawler issues I've encountered.

The X-Crawler appears to be a very solid kit in terms of strength and function however I have found a few problems that people should be aware of.

You can not take the axles apart without pressing out a pin from the drive shaft. This is not as easy as it sounds and requires a press of some sort. You will likely need to rig one up. ( managed to break a drive shaft when pressing out the pin, managed to do the second one without issue....no replacement parts yet)

When taking the gear box apart I had 2 heads of the stainless steel cap head screws break off due to them being so tight. I was taking them out NOT over tightening them so the loc-tite used I believe is too strong, or they are being over tightened during assembly. Most the screws required fair force to get out and 2 screws broke. I will be attempting to remove the remaining screw with a drill press and a screw extractor tomorrow.

I also had another cap head screw head snap off when removing the servo mount in order to move it to the other side.

Other then those issues everything is VERY nice. These issues would be less critical if replacement parts were more readilly available. XTM needs to create an addendum to their manual with a process to remove the drive shaft pins as this will be something that everyone with this kit has to do eventually. They should also check the torque specs or loc-tite compound being used on their axle assembly. Tight is tight, I should break screws trying to take them out.
Dynamic^Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #2

Default good info!

im sorry to hear that buddy, i haven't tried to clock the axles yet but i read somewhere that the pin was a problem, can you post pictures?
rusty_rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

only have a cell phone camera however this is the end of my drive shaft.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

to add to my fail when attempting to use a screw extractor to remove the broken off screw from my gear housing I managed to crack the inner wall of
146837 gear box housing. At least that part is in stock at global services so I can get it.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

for removing drive shaft pins, this is what i use, might help you not break them....

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...1&kategoria=69
stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #6

I just finished up my X and within 5 minutes I managed to do the same thing. I was crawling through some pretty bad ass rock but never the less it snapped the end of the axle clean off. I'm thinking instead of the steel pin for the wheel hex nuts, a roll pin or something that will sheer befor the axle brakes would be better suited here. it's a lot easer to replace that than the whole axle. Another thing I have found is the chassis is weak and will bend or distort under extreme articulation or binding which is easy to do if your not right on with your sticks assuming your using a stick radio. A fix for this could be to add a plate between the lower link rods that connects the two togather at th chassis adding to the single sheer piont. Another place that would benefit from this is where the inner links rods that attach the center of the axle housing to the chassis. Here would be a good place for a single cap screw (as apposed to the two individual ones) that goes all the way from one side of the chassis to the other with a spacer in the center. last place I can think of is right at the axle where the lower links attach to the axle. XTM should have machined a second sheer point in the axle design for the cap screw to fasen to.

Last edited by Sixstring; 10-30-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Grammer and wording
Sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I'm hoping that the new drive shafts are going to be strong enough. I've been told by XTM via their forums that the new driveshafts are being made out of a stronger material.

Stuff...that press tool looks perfect for removing and re-insterting the pins.

Personally I don't mind a little flex in a chassis, with all the extra holes you have for adjustability it is easy to make some stiffeners out of some link material if you want to eliminate the flex.

Last edited by Dynamic^Cipher; 10-29-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic^Cipher View Post
I'm hoping that the new drive shafts are going to be strong enough. I've been told by XTM via their forums that the new driveshafts are being made out of a stronger material.

Stuff...that press tool looks perfect for removing and re-insterting the pins.

Personally I don't mind a little flex in a chassis, with all the extra holes you have for adjustability it is easy to make some stiffeners out of some link material if you want to eliminate the flex.
Did they say when they would be available? as far as the flex goes I guess a little wouldn't hert but after bending it back into shape with a pair of plyers it seamed very easy to do.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

on the forums at globalservices.globalhobby.com which is the XTM forums I was told 10 days as of last monday.

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:46 am
"We have more coming in within the next 10 days. We changed the material so that you should find it much harder to break the next one. But that change resulted in a slight delay for replacement parts. "

I'm in Canada and can't get the parts directly from globalhobby.com, so I was referred to hobbypeople.net which is the retail arm of XTM. When I contacted them in regards to my order I was told 1-2 weeks
" Your back order will be filled and mailed out to you as soon as the parts arrive. (Currently expected in 1 - 2 weeks)"
Old 10-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic^Cipher View Post
on the forums at globalservices.globalhobby.com which is the XTM forums I was told 10 days as of last monday.

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:46 am
"We have more coming in within the next 10 days. We changed the material so that you should find it much harder to break the next one. But that change resulted in a slight delay for replacement parts. "

I'm in Canada and can't get the parts directly from globalhobby.com, so I was referred to hobbypeople.net which is the retail arm of XTM. When I contacted them in regards to my order I was told 1-2 weeks
" Your back order will be filled and mailed out to you as soon as the parts arrive. (Currently expected in 1 - 2 weeks)"
I found your post on that forum after I posted so I went ahead and did the same and ordered up two axels in the event I brake the other one. I also ordered up part# 146823 x 2 and 146824 x 2 to incorporate some of the mods I think will add strength to the weak spots in the chassis that I found. I thought of posting this info over their but I think it will fall on deaf ears. I just hope the 10 days doesn't turn into 2 months...
Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #11

Default broke drive shaft

well i took mine to my local spot this morning and after about five minutes i broke my rear axle shaft.
either they are not thats strong or it must have been sensitive from removing the pint to clock the axle.
anyways cant find replacement part i wonder if you where ever able to find yours
Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I suspect the ONLY place you will be able to get them right now is
http://hobbypeople.net/part/145632.asp

They should be in this week. If your in the states you can also try globalhobby.com.
They will be getting the parts at the same time however.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #13

Default good news

i talk to globalhobby today and they said they are sending me a new axles shaft for free all they requested was a picture of the brocken part
let see how long will this take, but i was shocked at the way they handle it, no questions ask or nothing at the very least they stand behind their product,
the bad of all of this.........it started to feel like raptors are not the only axles with problems out there.
im planning on getting some clod axles for that pimp can (wich by the way still hasnt showed up yet, order it on the 26, maybe tomorrow)
i'll keep this axles for the hustler.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #14

I'm just going to assume that these things are made and/or assembled in China or some third world or undeveloped country - like many RC vehicles and parts. If that's the case they tend to use subpar materials, especially when it comes to fasteners. It's still the manufacturer's fault for not having higher specs and a better manufacturing process. Sounds like that's the case here. But at least they stand behind their product. That shouldn't be overlooked.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:08 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Yeah I'm still waiting for my cane too, ordered on Oct 12, I hate snail mail with no tracking :( Its a race to see what arrives first, my drive shafts, 2 day fedex when the back order is filled, or my cane that should arrive sometime between today and mid November.

My prediction is both will arrive the first day of snow.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_rail View Post
i talk to globalhobby today and they said they are sending me a new axles shaft for free all they requested was a picture of the brocken part
let see how long will this take, but i was shocked at the way they handle it, no questions ask or nothing at the very least they stand behind their product,
the bad of all of this.........it started to feel like raptors are not the only axles with problems out there.
im planning on getting some clod axles for that pimp can (wich by the way still hasnt showed up yet, order it on the 26, maybe tomorrow)
This is good info to know. I will be calling Global and sending a pic of my broken axle for the freebe. I already ordered two but hey extra parts are always good.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_rail View Post
Just out of curiosity, why should they send you a new axle after you modified the axle by clocking it? If you hadn't clocked it would it have still broke?

The reason I asked that is because I am still running my axles stock and have yet to break them.

Last edited by t9dragon; 11-05-2008 at 10:22 PM.
t9dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:15 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I don't know if mine would have broke or not and payed for my replacement with out a second thought.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by t9dragon View Post
Just out of curiosity, why should they send you a new axle after you modified the axle by clocking it? If you hadn't clocked it would it have still broke?

The reason I asked that is because I am still running my axles stock and have yet to break them.
Just give it some time they will brake. But to better answer you question the fact that XTM has changed the type of steel that the axle is made from would sugest that 1 they know they have a problem with the axles and 2 customer service. I can't think of a better way to solve a customers problem then to hand them a newly designed axle for the inferrer one they just broke. Although it would be outstanding if they handed you two. Clocking the axle wouldn't have anything to do with it braking nor does it modify it. It would be like saying I had to change a bearing in the axle housing. The procedure is still the same, you have to press the shaft pin out to split the case which really sucks to do ether way your not modding the axle. IMHO XTM should make a tool just for this. When you have to go and finagle a tool to fix or work on the rig you just bought is not right.

Last edited by Sixstring; 11-06-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: content
Old 11-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #20

Dynamic^Cipher, Did you ever try the Chain break to see if it would work? I found this one http://www.pitposse.com/pojuchcu.html and it looked like it might work but not sure of the clearence on the steering knuckel and the thickness of this chain break.

Last edited by Sixstring; 11-07-2008 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Content