Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: XTM X-crawler setup questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzumonkey View Post
I don't know the pinion size, and would be interested in that myself. I'm running dual sidewinders pushing 65turn motors with a 9.6v pack, and have no wheel speed either. For servos I had to go to the Hobbico 333.oz. The 200.oz servos I had couldn't get the job done. The Hobbicos still struggle on occasion, but they seem to work.

The biggest issues I have had with the truck are the tires, and the lower shock clamps. I found that the tires just don't grip and want to slide sideways on the slightest incline. The lower shock clamps would catch on everything I tried to climb over.

I have some Imex rubicons on the way to help with the tire issue. I had really good luck with the smaller size version on my Axial. I am hoping these will work as well as those did.

For the shock issue, I bought some HPI Savage shocks that are almost twice the length of the stock shocks. This put the lower clamps down within the diameter of the tires and now the tires will always hit before the clamps do. So far they seem to have done the trick. The articulation hasn't really changed as it seemed the original shocks allowed the chasis to articulate to the limits of the links.

Other than those two issues, I have been happy with the rig so far. A little more wheel speed would be nice, but it still performs well as is.
Pinion size is 9 tooth.... As for wheel speed im running 2 novak rooster crawler set ups with 55t I added aqn 8.4 batt max for esc and an 11 tooth pinion its perfect now. As for tires im also looking for a better setup so let me know on your new tires that are comming. As for the shock clamp, I bought the integy custom 190 mm links. You can mount the shock on the top of the link and they will allow you to scrape over the rock rather then getting hung up. I havent got them yet but when I do I will post on them.... I also tryed to put the clamps inside the tires. All it did was rub :-(

Last edited by crawlman; 02-04-2009 at 11:21 AM.
crawlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2009, 05:01 AM   #22

My mistake guys, it is not the pinion size I want to know, but the thread pitch. I have not found any info about the thread pitch. I doesn't match up to the 48 thread pitch of my other trucks. I was wondering if it was maybe a 32 pitch.

I am running both ESCs off of one battery. I have not run it enough yet to give a lot of details, but run time with 3000mah seems to be around 45 min. or so. It has plenty of power to turn the wheels, and pull its own weight. However, I can bind them up enough to lock it down without breaking anything, so I think I am okay with the performance as is.
Kuzumonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

Well got the links today from integy they look great very beefy...

BUT it took me 4 hours to build mounts for them on the axels they are to big to mount in the original holes:-( BUT they work great shock mounts very nice. had to had to move to other holes to tune but she going good now just waiting for tires and im good to go
crawlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I don't know the pinion size, and would be interested in that myself. I'm running dual sidewinders pushing 65turn motors with a 9.6v pack, and have no wheel speed either. For servos I had to go to the Hobbico 333.oz. The 200.oz servos I had couldn't get the job done. The Hobbicos still struggle on occasion, but they seem to work.

The biggest issues I have had with the truck are the tires, and the lower shock clamps. I found that the tires just don't grip and want to slide sideways on the slightest incline. The lower shock clamps would catch on everything I tried to climb over.

I have some Imex rubicons on the way to help with the tire issue. I had really good luck with the smaller size version on my Axial. I am hoping these will work as well as those did.

For the shock issue, I bought some HPI Savage shocks that are almost twice the length of the stock shocks. This put the lower clamps down within the diameter of the tires and now the tires will always hit before the clamps do. So far they seem to have done the trick. The articulation hasn't really changed as it seemed the original shocks allowed the chasis to articulate to the limits of the links.

Other than those two issues, I have been happy with the rig so far. A little more wheel speed would be nice, but it still performs well as is.

AHHHH yes the lower shock mounts are terrible! they get caught on everything... I was about to buy a new chassis and shocks... but after reading your idea, im going to try that and see how it works out.

as far as wheel speed... the x is geared sooo low that 65t motors are almost too much. I'm running a 1000KV brushless with dual 11.1 2200 mah batteries and i get plenty of wheel speed. im not sure what the sidewinders handle but u might wanna look into a lipo
prozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
My mistake guys, it is not the pinion size I want to know, but the thread pitch. I have not found any info about the thread pitch. I doesn't match up to the 48 thread pitch of my other trucks. I was wondering if it was maybe a 32 pitch.

I am running both ESCs off of one battery. I have not run it enough yet to give a lot of details, but run time with 3000mah seems to be around 45 min. or so. It has plenty of power to turn the wheels, and pull its own weight. However, I can bind them up enough to lock it down without breaking anything, so I think I am okay with the performance as is.
pretty sure its a 32.
prozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Default Strong enough...?

DO you guys know if there is a ESC out there that handles 2 motors but has a drag brake like the Rooster Crawler..?
m&mkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:02 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

The pictures you have taken of these x-crawlers are great!
dano104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

im running 2 novak goat brushless systems with the stock gearing and i have absolutely no problem with wheel speed im actully thinking once i get bigger tires i will want to gear it down more. they are both running off a maxamps 8000 hv pack witch will get me more run time than i need. not the ideal battery placement atop the chassis but the rest of the truck is so heavy i dont have a problem with cog. as for the tires we can all admit xtm kinda missed the mark there i am thinking of getting a pair of rc4wd 40 series rock crushers. i know they dont quite have their compound down yet but im not a comp crawler so i just need something big and better than the stock tires. i also am having a problem finding 40 size rims with no offset. i like the narrow rc4wd beadlocks but i think they have too much offset fot the xtm.
dyecocker is offline   Reply With Quote