Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: How to remove inner axle gears without pressing axle pins!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default How to remove inner axle gears without pressing axle pins!

i found out that i could remove most of the gears in the tranny without removing the pressed pins in the axles and here is a step by step.

1. first remove tires, hexes and hex pins on both sides of 1 axle.
2. remove axle carriers.
3. remove ''E-clips" from axle's.
4. remove all gearbox cover screws on the opposite side of motor.
5. now slide the axle tube carrier as far as it will go which is when the pressed axle pins are touching the end bearings.
6. look inside the axle where it splits and you will see a gear retained by a "E-clip". remove the clip and slide the big gear over on the shaft.
7. now both 8t/34t gearsets will slide off.

i hope this helps and let me know if you need any more info.
revo-4tec-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #2

Default Great help thanks

Thanks for the tips, I just finished assembling my new x-crawler (yellow body on the box) yesterday. It took about a minute before the gears in the rear axle separated. I was reading this post just before I finished building it, so when the time came I knew what to do.

I was a little disappointed about the gears but I have been lurking here on rccrawler for a while and expected it or something along that line.

I don't have access to a tig welder, but I do know a few people who can do it for me. I have brazing materials and can braze myself. Is there any chance that might hold the gears?

Thanks again
Kev
i2oadsweepei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2oadsweepei2 View Post
Thanks for the tips, I just finished assembling my new x-crawler (yellow body on the box) yesterday. It took about a minute before the gears in the rear axle separated. I was reading this post just before I finished building it, so when the time came I knew what to do.

I was a little disappointed about the gears but I have been lurking here on rccrawler for a while and expected it or something along that line.

I don't have access to a tig welder, but I do know a few people who can do it for me. I have brazing materials and can braze myself. Is there any chance that might hold the gears?

Thanks again
Kev
no problem, im glad i could help . in the last few days i put this truck through torture. i put about 6hrs of hard use on it to test the gears and there was no problem. the only thing i was able to break was the tie rod at the threads another week link that i fixed just by using a 1/4" steel rod with a hole drilled in each end. its un adjustable but i set the tires straight.

as for brazing i think it will work good. i havent done much for brazing but i know when you braze it will bond the two together so i see how it could work. in that case i bet even jb weld would work.

i was dissapointed also with the quality of some parts but all we have to do is put are heads together and figure out this awesome truck.
revo-4tec-mike is offline   Reply With Quote