Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: My X-Crawler. with pics!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My X-Crawler. with pics!!!

after undergoing many upgrades, tweeking, tuning and broken parts i thought i would post my thoughts on the x-crawler. my first
setup was very minimum which included 1 super rooster esc, 1 6 cell mounted on the bottom shelf of the chassis, 2 integy
55t lathe motors, 2 jr 650m servos and a traxxas tx and rx.

my first thoughts of the truck were "why would they mount the
lower shock hanger on the lower link? which hangs up on every rock you slide over.

my next issue was the inner axle gear's. why would they press two gears together instead of welding or make a solid unit?

another thing that bent in the rear and broke in the front was the tie rod's. my fix was removing them, buying 1/4" mild
steel solid rod, cutting to length and drilling holes. with this modded tie rod i have hit rocks SUPER hard with not even a bend.

the next step was to fix these problems so i took the gears out and welded them and they are still running strong. next to fix the lower
mount hang up i ordered the longest springs i could find for a reasonable price and i went with stock hpi savage shocks
and springs, then i was able to move the mount up against the rod end. while i had the shocks off i decided to do some
custom bends to the bottom of the upper links so i could rotate the axle to give me more clearance. next i bent the lower
links for more clarance

my next problem was radio glitches which were VERY bad.
i went to my lhs and found a spektrum dx5e radio which i am very happy with and was only 99$.
my 650m servos both burnt up within a week of eachother so i ordered hobbico cs170 333oz servos which work pretty good but
would recomend 400+ ozin servos for those who want to be able to turn at a stop.
next i couldnt' go any longer with out rear dig so i ordered my 2nd super rooser. it took a while to get the hang of it but
now i can go more places that i couldnt' go before.

next was to get rid of the top heavyness of this rig. so i ordered 7 sub c 4500mah battries for 37$ to make a saddle pack
and placed it over the front axle.

another thing i noticed is the link screws that attach to the chassis were coming apart all the time. how i fixed this is i removed the plastic spacers and replaced them with rod end balls. also i added another nut behind the other to work as a jam nut and it has not come apart sence.

at this point i am able to go places that i wasnt able to go before and now love this truck.
revo-4tec-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Nice job

I have done the same thing to the steering on mine and I am waiting for the shocks to get here so I can move the shocks. I have one question though do you have to bend the links so the mounts don't hit the motor and if so what measurements did you use to do yours? I like the way it looks I have only had mine for about a month but I am tired of getting hung up so time for this mod now.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

first off welcome to this forum and any q's are welcome!

you dont have to bend the links to make the shocks fit but it helps alot with more clearance under the truck. also i bent the upper links so i could rotate the axle to give me even more clearance.

using a 1/4" handheld tubing bender i bent my links at a 25 deg angle 3/4" from the start of the rod end which worked awesome for me.
revo-4tec-mike is offline   Reply With Quote