Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: motor / esc ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default motor / esc ???

I have a xtm crawler and am having trouble hooking everything up. I bought 2 Novak 55T motors. I don't want to operate the motors or steering seperately, just want to use a simple control with forward / reverse and all wheel all the time steering. Do I need 2 esc's or will one work? I would rather use one esc and keep it as simple as possible. Maybee down the road upgrade everything but for now just want to get it moving. In general I just don't know the best way to wire the thing.

Any advice would be great. I searched for a thread with details on the connections but couldn't find anything that I could work off. I know i'm new and have a lot of questions..................

Joe
outofreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Does the X-crawler do better with wheel weights?
Old 03-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofreach View Post
Does the X-crawler do better with wheel weights?
i personally think for adding weight to the front by installing a saddle pack over the front axle is the way to go. you get more weight up front and make the rig less top heavy.
revo-4tec-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I have a xtm crawler and am having trouble hooking everything up. I bought 2 Novak 55T motors. I don't want to operate the motors or steering seperately, just want to use a simple control with forward / reverse and all wheel all the time steering. Do I need 2 esc's or will one work? I would rather use one esc and keep it as simple as possible. Maybee down the road upgrade everything but for now just want to get it moving. In general I just don't know the best way to wire the thing.

Any advice would be great. I searched for a thread with details on the connections but couldn't find anything that I could work off. I know i'm new and have a lot of questions..................

Joe
awesome, another x crawler owner!!
you can use just 1 esc for both 55t motors. here is a how to link from novak. i would wire them in parellel to get a higher top speed sence its so low geared. if you have any other q's, feel free to ask.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Thanks for the help

I read your other thread on the gears, mine just came apart and it hasn't left the house yet. :-( Axles havent broke yet but 2 screws broke off in the tranny case. I'm still glad I got it but its a bummer it comes with so many glitches.

Joe

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/h...ors/index.html
Old 03-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thanks for the help

I read your other thread on the gears, mine just came apart and it hasn't left the house yet. :-( Axles havent broke yet but 2 screws broke off in the tranny case. I'm still glad I got it but its a bummer it comes with so many glitches.

Joe

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/h...ors/index.html
no problem, any time.

if the picture on the front of the box of the x crawler you bought shows a pic of a yellow truck you most likly have the new axles like i have and ive found the axles to be very strong. (if a tire binds it will flip the truck).

i hear you there about it being a bummer with all of the glitches. but the worst thing ive found so far is im going through servos.
one more thing about the esc/motors. on the last motor in parallel you need to switch the polarity because one of the motors will rotate the wrong direction. let me know if you have any more q's.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #7

I have the same setup two 55t motors and a rooster crawler esc. I wired mine in parallel too. It is still slow, but it's a crawler. It's slower than my walking pace Tons of torque too. I fixed one of my gears by brazing then broke another in the front axle last weekend. Global Hobby sent me new gears and they arrived in one week.

X 3 it is a bummer about the glitches, Most of the truck is very well built and I wouldn't give it up. I have a friend who's dad wants to look at my gears and see if he can cut me a new set.

Kev
i2oadsweepei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

hey guys, have you had the same problem as i have with servo arms and servos. ive gone through 10 arms and 3 servos in the last 3 months. why i went through so many arms was because i put weak ones on to make it a weak link to save the servos.

right now i have a dual 208 ozin servos but we will have to see how long they last. the servos were 9$ ea.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo-4tec-mike View Post
hey guys, have you had the same problem as i have with servo arms and servos. ive gone through 10 arms and 3 servos in the last 3 months. why i went through so many arms was because i put weak ones on to make it a weak link to save the servos.

right now i have a dual 208 ozin servos but we will have to see how long they last. the servos were 9$ ea.
i use 2) hitec HSR-5995 servos,..the robot version of the now discontinued Ti geared servo,they can be run at 7.2v for 417 oz of torque(26 lbs!!) and at 6v is 333 oz
and still needed long servo arm, only alum one i could find was the double end hitec arm, needed extra length over the std. arms i was using

i hate to say it but bad design again.....
no wheel backspacing ..makes the wheel turn thru an arc instead of just pivoting on its footprint which puts even more resistance to steering effort, not to mention it moves your rig by moving the footprint instead of just twisting
the person who designed this rig should be fired!!, followed by the person who authorized production...imo
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

i hear you there about the problems with the rig. but i guess if all the problems were fixed they could sell it for 600$ instead of 300$.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

nice info! thanks for posting it!

it's always nice to clear up rumors.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

They want me to send in the broken axle and they will fix it they said..... This will take a life time to do one part at a time, what about the gears and broken bolts...... While I am waiting for parts I guess I can try to fix the terrible shock mounts that hang up on everything......This is crazy, big dissapointment.

Joe

Edit - I think they decided to send me a set of parts, would be nice.

Last edited by outofreach; 03-31-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: They emailed me again
Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #13

I emailed them about my gears and received them in a week. I'm in Canada so.... not too bad. They sent me four new gears. I brazed my first boken set back together then broke another one in the other axel on my next outing, I was abusing it though, jamming it forward and reverse really quick LoL. I think I will remove all the gears and braze them. Then start again. I will use the news ones they sent me if all else fails.

It is a shame about no back spacing too, I was using 7955 servos in there but decided to use two hobbycity hxt servos instead for now until I work out the bugs. I would rather kill $20 in servos than $300.

The lower shock mounts absolutely suck. What a crapazz design. I put Cen Gst shocks on now and moved them in behind the tires. They are awefully close to the motors on their respective sides now.

The chassis looks great, but if it was longer maybe we could mount the shocks to the lower link mounts on the axles and keep the shorter shocks. I am thinking new chassis..... any thoughts?

Sorry for being off topic

L8rz
Kev
Old 03-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

i bought my crawler through hobbypeople.net and with all my broken parts they sent me new ones no q's asked. they sent them on a monday and i got them on that thursday. there customer service has been great for me. i dont know about globalservices though.

to help with the hang up i used savage shocks and stock springs which moved the lower hanger at the base of the rod end which is behind the wheel and also i bent the links.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 PM   #15

Great idea Mike on the bended lowers, I have a set of Crawford Performace lower link mounts for shocks. They are upgrading the sire right now or i would post a link. They are really just cable stays, but they are really firm. I may give them a go. Maybe then I can move the lowers to the inside of the chassis and clear the motors

Kev
Old 04-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
I joined the Band!

Curious if anyone has put on wheel extensions to stop the rubbing?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2oadsweepei2 View Post
Great idea Mike on the bended lowers, I have a set of Crawford Performace lower link mounts for shocks. They are upgrading the sire right now or i would post a link. They are really just cable stays, but they are really firm. I may give them a go. Maybe then I can move the lowers to the inside of the chassis and clear the motors

Kev
no problem.

if you could post some pics when you get the lower mounts done it would be awesome!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
i have not but when i bent the links i bent them so they sit up and in which gave me 1/4" more steering. not a bad idea adding spacers but i cant because of how narrow my course is.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
I joined the Band!

I got all the upgraded parts, axles and gears they even sent me a bag of screws to replace the ones that broke off - - very happy now.

My wheel extensions should be here any day , will post when I find out how they work.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Default wheel extentions

yup i bought a set of cheap ones i found on ebay. like 30 bucks i think. they work well with the stock rims if your servo can handle it. but the truck is super wide(mine are 1.5" for a total of 3"). i am going to be using the rc4wd narrow 40 series rockstars with the rock crusher tires.

Quote:

Last edited by dyecocker; 04-06-2009 at 08:41 PM.
dyecocker is offline   Reply With Quote