Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: I think its done .....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default I think its done .....

Here's some pictures

Its been a long road but I think i'm there - or close.

Gear and axle issues are hopefully behind me. Shocks have been moved. The 208oz ebay servos were super glitchy, replaced those with the 423oz airtronics. Was still a little glitchy so added the bec. Was still a little glitchy so I upgraded to the airtronics radio. Seems smooth as can be now, can't get it to stutter even a little. The servos are on sale for $99 and the radio with 2 rx is $179 on sale.

Novak 55t motors
Novak ESC
Novak BEC
Airtronics 423oz servos
Airtronics radio
Lipo battery (s)

I guess i'm not allowed to post attachments????

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4915/dscn0216i.jpg
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/458/dscn0221i.jpg
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1417/dscn0225s.jpg

Sorry pictures started out nice but by the time they got here they were small and crapy?? Lotta work for a computer idiot such as myself.

Last edited by outofreach; 04-15-2009 at 10:48 PM.
outofreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Its because you dont have a star, if its a photo bucket account or similar just pm me the link and i will post up the picture for you .
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Nice setup!!!

nice job on extending the chassis.
revo-4tec-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

those would be the "Tower pro mg995" servos right? i am now running dual servos front and rear which are the mg995's and they work great for me. do you want to sell your old ones? the glitch was most likly in your radio setup. i had the same problem until i went with a spektrum now everything is as smooth as silk.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

No it wasn't the tower pro servos, they were the no name servos from the "cheapservos" guy on ebay. They were bad but he was good about returns - took them back no questions asked.

Can I do front and rear steer with the airtronics 3 channel radio? And will it reverse the servo if I want to do them both at the same time?

Trying to get the hang of everything.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #6

Thats roughly the same setup I am using too. Except I am using hxt servos from hobby city for now. I use tower pros in my ax10 and they are solid with my dx3s. Man I would like a set of those high power airtronics servos $99 is a good price but right now the exchange is killing me on everything. Also like the chassis mod, looks alot nicer for mounting shocks further down the links.

If you have channel mixing on your radio you can probably get it to work. Is it a 3 position aux channel? My dx3s only has a 2 position 3rd channel.

Kev

Last edited by i2oadsweepei2; 04-21-2009 at 04:43 PM.
i2oadsweepei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Looks GOOD... Very nice job..
I haven't started mine yet but seeing the...afterwards is getting me itchy...lol
How does it crawl...? are you happy with it or is there a little tweekin to do still...?
NICE JOB
m&mkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

I like it but sill a little work yet to do.

I think i'm ganna make a bottom plate out of delrin, the aluminum seems a little sticky. Maybee a little delrin on the bottom of the axles coming up in front of the steering linkage to protect it a little and make it a bit more slippery. Also think i'm going to mount the battery over the front axle to lower the center of gravity a bit. It seems to be holding up well now after the initial cluster $%$^&% of problems. I think it crawls good but the tires seem a little hard - maybee tackle that next.

Also open to any advice anyone might have for me.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofreach View Post
I like it but sill a little work yet to do.

I think i'm ganna make a bottom plate out of delrin, the aluminum seems a little sticky. Maybee a little delrin on the bottom of the axles coming up in front of the steering linkage to protect it a little and make it a bit more slippery. Also think i'm going to mount the battery over the front axle to lower the center of gravity a bit. It seems to be holding up well now after the initial cluster $%$^&% of problems. I think it crawls good but the tires seem a little hard - maybee tackle that next.

Also open to any advice anyone might have for me.
so are you running 4WS...? are you using one esc or 2 and how many batteries..?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

I'm running 1 esc and 4 wheel steering. Using a 5000 MAH 7.2v Lipo or 7 cell nimh packs, seems to have plenty of power.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm running 1 esc and 4 wheel steering. Using a 5000 MAH 7.2v Lipo or 7 cell nimh packs, seems to have plenty of power.
what esc are you running...? are you using the stock shocks...? how long of a run time are you getting out of it..?
Old 04-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

Novak Crawler, stock shocks ( not doin it for me ). Run time , i'll have to get back to you when there are no xtm parts left on my xtm crawler - its like my F.O.R.D.....

If your ganna build one the first thing I would do is take it apart ( ALL APART ), weld the gears, replace the axles, modify chassis to move shock mounts,.......... much more i'm forgetting right now.

The replacement pressed gears come apart as-well ( about an hour ago )- - WELD THEM.

I would post pictures but it is a pain in the ass for a computer idiot like me.

This thing has me frustrated again - - it is a true engineering nightmare. They should refund everyones money. Not everyone has a machine shop, the skill or the desire to F with this thing after every 10 minutes of use. I have 3 other rc's and enjoy working on them but this is just nuts...

Old 04-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

i know how it feels to be very frustrated about all the problems with the crawler including the horable design but i thought i would let you know that after doing alot of mods my x crawler is finally reliable. in the last 20hrs of use ive had no broken parts but some loose screws. keep with it because its so worth it.

i wish some of us could help design a crawler.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

They should replace all nuts and bolts with wing nuts and velcro so its easier to take apart. :-P
Old 04-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
They should replace all nuts and bolts with wing nuts and velcro so its easier to take apart. :-P
=. ur funny!
there sure are alot of screws on these things.

i found a place that sells hardened steel, black oxide coated screws for rc's. http://www.tonysscrews.com/category.sc?categoryId=10 i have only heard good things about there product so i think i will give them a try.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #16
I joined the Band!

I'm thinking of making a custom chassis and basically only using the axles. You think I should use these axles or just buy some other brand? Do you now have confidence in your axles, gears, driveshafts>??
Old 04-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

if you're asking me, yes i do have confidence in the axles and grears after welding the gears. ive bound the wheels super bad and no breakages. im thinking of using the links and axles to make a tuber myself.

as for the tires being too firm, it takes about 10 hrs of crawling for them to get broken in. dont worry they get alot softer.

for the material to go under the axles, there is a product that is called "UHMW" that is more wear resistant than delrin, more slick than delrin and 1/16" thick . i think i might try some because we carry it at work. im sure either would work though. great idea by the way .... http://www.google.com/products?q=uhmw+sheet+1%2F16
Old 05-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo-4tec-mike View Post
i know how it feels to be very frustrated about all the problems with the crawler including the horable design but i thought i would let you know that after doing alot of mods my x crawler is finally reliable. in the last 20hrs of use ive had no broken parts but some loose screws. keep with it because its so worth it.

i wish some of us could help design a crawler.
Can I ask you what issues I might have right off the bat..? I know there is probably a post with those issues but...I have really bad vision and tryin to read everything i hard a very time consuming.. I am finally starting my build and will most likely be hitting you guys up for advice...
I'm hoping to run off an EVX and either a lipo or 2 nicds... do you guyd have any advice frm the start..?
THANKS
Old 05-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #19
I joined the Band!

Gears seperating, axles breaking and shock mounts catching on everything. First thing you should do is take it apart weld the gears.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Gears seperating, axles breaking and shock mounts catching on everything. First thing you should do is take it apart weld the gears.
my buddy read somewhere that you can call XTM and let them know you have the old style gears and shaft frm the BLUE BOX and need the upgraded stronger steel that comes with it now..
is that true..? has anyone heard that..?