RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   XTM Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/xtm-crawler/)
-   -   Buying a New XTM Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/xtm-crawler/175208-buying-new-xtm-crawler.html)

jamorgan29 04-27-2009 09:09 AM

Buying a New XTM Crawler

I am getting to buy my first crawler. I have done a ton of research and came up to this crawler. Is there anything I need to know when buying one. What Precautions do I need to take. I already know my electronics and everything, I'm just curious about the actual truck.

outofreach 04-27-2009 10:08 AM

Read some of the threads here before buying, lots to know. :shock::shock:

jamorgan29 04-27-2009 01:08 PM

I guess one of the questions I'm asking is what is the difference between the box with the yellow and the box with the black crawler pictured. I have found both and I wanted to be edjucated before I purchased.

outofreach 04-27-2009 05:49 PM

They say the yellow box is better but it didn't work that way for me.

I would say as soon as you get it take it apart and weld the gears then change out the drive shafts. Then you will need to figure something out so the shock mounts dont catch on everything. You will then need to do some mods so the tires don't rub everytime you turn and get 400 oz + servos. They should send you the replacement parts without much of a problem. I think the chances of you buying a new trouble free rig are similar to winning the lottery. If you plan on doing all things and a few more it should then be a good rig for you. Its a good lookin rig for sure. Just know what you are getting into.

Joe

revo-4tec-mike 04-27-2009 07:01 PM

like outofreach said there is alot of good info on here for fixes and upgrades. :) "thumbsup"

#1. take the gears out and braze or weld them. (there are how to's on here for that).

#2. 2-400ozin servos (like outofreach said) or 4-333ozin servos.

#3. novak rooster, 1 or 2 of them depending on if you want rear dig.

#4. 2.4ghz radio. i run a spektrum modified 5ch which works awesome. i tried futaba 2 channel but it had the Worst glitches!:shock:

#5. remove all fasteners and add loctite.

#6. replace all plastic spacers (which crush easy) on the 4 links with steel tie rod ball ends. doing this helps keep the nuts tight.

#7. add a plate to support the 4 links. (there is a how to for that). this will help keep the 4 link screws from getting side loaded.

#8. buy longer shocks or modify chassis to move the lower hanger behind the front of the tire. the stock shocks and springs are very cheap so upgrading them is a no brainer. :roll: i bought savage shocks which work awesome!!! and you can get them for a low price. i got mine for 25$ new."thumbsup"

also buy the yellow box because it should come with the super strong hardened steel axles instead of the mild still ones that break easy.

outofreach 04-29-2009 06:17 PM

So did you get one?