Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: X-Crawler Servo Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Angry X-Crawler Servo Problems

I have a XTM X-Crawler and have pretty much given up on keeping a servo on it. I have just gone to useing the cheap Tower Pro servos on it now but they aren't strong enough to start with but last just as long as the $100-$150 servoes I have used on it. Does anybody have any suggestions to a good servo for X-Crawler? I have tried JR and Airtronics metal gear servos that the lhs said had plenty of power but one JR lasted maybe 10 minutes and two others lasted maybe 3-4 batteries and the airtronics lasted about 3-4 batteries. I am tired of throwing money away anybody have any ideas.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post
I have a XTM X-Crawler and have pretty much given up on keeping a servo on it. I have just gone to useing the cheap Tower Pro servos on it now but they aren't strong enough to start with but last just as long as the $100-$150 servoes I have used on it. Does anybody have any suggestions to a good servo for X-Crawler? I have tried JR and Airtronics metal gear servos that the lhs said had plenty of power but one JR lasted maybe 10 minutes and two others lasted maybe 3-4 batteries and the airtronics lasted about 3-4 batteries. I am tired of throwing money away anybody have any ideas.
What were the servos rated at? I've had good luck with the 423oz Airtronics but don't have a whole lot of hours on them. revo-4tec-mike was having problems and went with 2 servos front and rear.
outofreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I had two JR z 650m servoes on the front and two on the rear which quit working last weekend they were going strong then just stopped they are 142oz each and I have also tried the JR s8711 at 403oz and it didn't last long either. The rest of them I have used except for the cheap ones have been 333oz. The 333oz and the 403oz would turn it no problem even in a little nit of a bind but I just can't seem to get them to last.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:28 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Does your Radio have EPA's and do you have them set?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I am not sure if it has epa's or not it is a stock Traxxas TQ4 controller I know I need to add epa's when I change my setup. I am Planning on going pimp Cane with it if I can ever stop replaceing servo's and I am going to add dig to it when I do.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Although the size of them are kind of a bummer,it's hard to beat the girth of the quarter scale servos. Around 350 oz. at 6 volts and the gears inside are beefy. They are also analog servos so there is no desperate need for EPA's on your radio. Having the EPA's on your radio is better no matter what you run,it's mandatory for digital servos though.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

are you burning up servos or are the gears getting messed up? my main problem was the gears in the servo would strip which was because of rocks hitting the servo arms/steering rod. since ive went to 4 tower pro servos and made bumpers i have not had any problems for about 25hrs of use now. i would use some plastic servo arms to give it a weak link so you dont go through servos.

i burnt up some jr650's also. they would get really hot.

the main reason we all are going through servos is because of the 0 offset which gives the tires alot of leverage off the rocks.
revo-4tec-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post
I am not sure if it has epa's or not it is a stock Traxxas TQ4 controller I know I need to add epa's when I change my setup..
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
Although the size of them are kind of a bummer,it's hard to beat the girth of the quarter scale servos. Around 350 oz. at 6 volts and the gears inside are beefy. They are also analog servos so there is no desperate need for EPA's on your radio. Having the EPA's on your radio is better no matter what you run,it's mandatory for digital servos though.

Yep.

Before you go spending more money on servos, I'd suggest you take that money and step up to a radio that can actually work. The Traxxas radios are great for the n00bie but that's it. Get a radio that has EPA's and all the other bells and whistles that will make you grin from ear to ear.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo-4tec-mike View Post
the main reason we all are going through servos is because of the 0 offset which gives the tires alot of leverage off the rocks.
That is called scrub steer. Put some backspacing in your wheels to take away scrub steer. Your servos will thank you. The closer you can put the center of the wheel to the pivot point of the knuckle,the better your scrub radius will be.

With digital servos,you NEED EPA's.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
That is called scrub steer. Put some backspacing in your wheels to take away scrub steer. Your servos will thank you. The closer you can put the center of the wheel to the pivot point of the knuckle,the better your scrub radius will be.

With digital servos,you NEED EPA's.
thanks. "scrub steer" is what i was looking for.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
are you burning up servos or are the gears getting messed up? my main problem was the gears in the servo would strip which was because of rocks hitting the servo arms/steering rod. since ive went to 4 tower pro servos and made bumpers i have not had any problems for about 25hrs of use now. i would use some plastic servo arms to give it a weak link so you dont go through servos.

i burnt up some jr650's also. they would get really hot.

I have been burning them up I have not had any gear problems with them I made a bumper for mine right after I got it and bent the front steering link into the axle and broke it trying to straighten it out. The tower pro servos are the best ones I have had on it so far. I think it is because I didn't realize I needed end points. I am fairly new to rc rock crawling and have never had this issue with any of my bashers. I will try adding the epa's to my controller and let you know what happens but from what I have read that should fix it and wouldn't hurt to get a different set of wheels and change my setup so I can put them on to get rid of the 0 offset. Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #12

I burned up a Titanium gear hitec servo by using it with a radio that had no end points. I'm pretty sure you will need a new radio. You can't add epa's to a traxxas radio as far as I know. A new radio is a great investment, one of the best you can make. I use a DX3s and or a DX6i.

Good luck

Kev
i2oadsweepei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

i use a 99$ Spektrum dX5e and it works great. stock the throttle stick does not return to center. i added a few parts from an old futaba 4 channel to make it like the right stick. it was super easy to install and took only 10 minutes to do if you know how.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
i use a 99$ Spektrum dX5e and it works great. stock the throttle stick does not return to center. i added a few parts from an old futaba 4 channel to make it like the right stick. it was super easy to install and took only 10 minutes to do if you know how.
I have thought about going with that controller but I am not sure about the whole stick controller thing. I am looking at the Airtronics M11 but I am not sure if it will do all that I need it to do. I know it will do the 4 wheel independent steering but not sure if it will operate the micro servo for front and rear dig also. How did you mod the dx5e to go to center? Any pics or anything would be great. I may just give it a try. Can you adjust the end points and all on it? Thanks for all the help everybody.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have a question....is there a 1/4 scale servo mount for the x-Crawler...?
I was planning on going with the Hobbico cs-170 servo w/333oz and a TowerPro for the rear steer...

On another note...I was reading some of the posts and saw some were running 2 in the front..? Is that 2 servos ( one for each wheel...? )
m&mkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&mkrawler View Post
I have a question....is there a 1/4 scale servo mount for the x-Crawler...?
I was planning on going with the Hobbico cs-170 servo w/333oz and a TowerPro for the rear steer...
my buddy has two cs170's in the front and 2 no name servos and they work great!!! also the only mount they have are for the standard size servos. the cs170's and towerpro mg995's are standard.

Quote:
On another note...I was reading some of the posts and saw some were running 2 in the front..? Is that 2 servos ( one for each wheel...? )
i am running two "y" harnesses and 4 servos for steering. what i did is run a connecting rod between the two servos, turn on rx/tx, then adjust the rod ends until the servos are lined up perfectly so they dont fight each other.

by doing this the servos have been lasting me 28hrs of use so far, running on Quarry rock!!! not bad for 40$ worth of servos.

another thing to mention. most places that sell the tower pro mg995 servos are in hong kong but ive found a supplier in the us with quick shipping. http://www.hobbypartz.com/4ptopromgmeg.html

Last edited by revo-4tec-mike; 05-06-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: i forgot the pic!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
TEAM MODERATOR

Not many places make a servo mount for the 1/4 scales for any axle. Servo mounts are super easy to build though.

Quote:
but ive found a supplier in the us with quick shipping. http://www.hobbypartz.com/4ptopromgmeg.html
You didn't have to look that far. A few of our vendors sell the Tower Pro servos,have a look in the vendors section.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

RIGHT ON....THANKYOU... Thats what the issue was...HongKong sucked cause they never got back to you when you emailed them...I will definatly go US. I clicked on that one site but whats the 'vendors' one...?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #19
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
I clicked on that one site but whats the 'vendors' one...?
Well,I know Run2jeepin used to sell TowerPro's. I think he's still selling those or an equivelant economical servo. He posted in this thread. Check above and have a look at his website. There's a couple more I believe. You can also look in the "electronics" section inside the vendors market.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Thanks again for all the help....I really apreciate it...
Can I ask you guys about your esc...whats a good one if I don't run 2 Roosters...?