Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: Great X-Crawler MOD!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Great X-Crawler MOD!!!

**WARNING, THIS MOD WILL NOT WORK WITH THE STOCK ALUMINUM RIMS, THIS IS A MOD FOR A COMP CLASS X-CRAWLER USING 17MM/40 SERIES RIMS SUCH AS THE 40 SERIES AXIAL RIMS**

This mod cost about $25, but it seems well worth it!

Well, if XTM didnt use chrome plated lead for parts we wouldnt have to do this but since they did, you MUST DO THIS MOD!

I finally got my X-Hustler dialed in (so I thought..) took it to our last SoCal comp, ran it on 3 courses and broke the axle right at the dogbone side on course 3... (keep in mind, I already did the internal gear weld/fix)

Got it home, tore it apart and I noticed the outer stub axles were all chewed up?! Not just the side I boke at but all the way around!
The meltal they used is sooo soft and the axles are hardend steel, not a good match!

So my quess is this, since the outer stub shafts are soft and getting chewed up so fast, this allows them to strech open and causing the axle shaft pin to get lodged in there and eventully snap!

So heres my fix...

Buy (4) of these..
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEPA7&P=FR

And ( 8 ) of these.. (8x12 bearings)
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...99MR128-ZZ-X10

And a set of these..
http://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?p...&cat=20&page=1

Everything is a direct fit, with no cutting, drilling etc.

This MOD makes a MUCH STRONGER X-Crawler... I havent comp'd with it yet but from what I tested so far so good! Much tighter in the outer axles, alot less slop!

Hope this helps you with your X-Crawler!
~K4L
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

nice fix...good info. maybe sticky worthy for this section. Some of us still run em its nice to see.
Super Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default KRAWLR, Thanks for the advice at RCX

I was the guy at RCX with the X-Crawler and the questions. Thanks for letting me bend your ear about the axles. Im going to do that mod as soon as I can afford the rims/tires that work with this mod.
evlwevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlwevl View Post
I was the guy at RCX with the X-Crawler and the questions. Thanks for letting me bend your ear about the axles. Im going to do that mod as soon as I can afford the rims/tires that work with this mod.
I remember you! Your welcome man, anytime! Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Do you have some pics you can post? I am working on doing this to mine but it seems like the wheels are going to hit the steering. Unless I am missing something here. Are there any extensions that you need or something?
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Any ideas on where else you can get the 17mm adaptors for this setup? RCPCrawlers gave me a refund on them. I guess they don't have them anymore or something. The other parts are on the way just need the right adaptors.

Last edited by craddock35; 06-01-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I am looking for some spare parts for my crawler but very little in stock
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
RCC Addict

My x-crawler must be different than yours. The bearings and the axles fit fine but with the adaptors the wheels hit the steering and won't even tighten up which is kinda what I was thinking to start with. Anybody got any ideas on where I can get extensions. Probably have to have them made. The extensions need to be about 1.25 inches long for the wheels to even go on and not hit the steering.

Last edited by craddock35; 06-22-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:05 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAWLR4life View Post
**WARNING, THIS MOD WILL NOT WORK WITH THE STOCK ALUMINUM RIMS, THIS IS A MOD FOR A COMP CLASS X-CRAWLER USING 17MM/40 SERIES RIMS SUCH AS THE 40 SERIES AXIAL RIMS**

This mod cost about $25, but it seems well worth it!

Well, if XTM didnt use chrome plated lead for parts we wouldnt have to do this but since they did, you MUST DO THIS MOD!

I finally got my X-Hustler dialed in (so I thought..) took it to our last SoCal comp, ran it on 3 courses and broke the axle right at the dogbone side on course 3... (keep in mind, I already did the internal gear weld/fix)

Got it home, tore it apart and I noticed the outer stub axles were all chewed up?! Not just the side I boke at but all the way around!
The meltal they used is sooo soft and the axles are hardend steel, not a good match!

So my quess is this, since the outer stub shafts are soft and getting chewed up so fast, this allows them to strech open and causing the axle shaft pin to get lodged in there and eventully snap!

So heres my fix...

Buy (4) of these..
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEPA7&P=FR

And ( 8 ) of these.. (8x12 bearings)
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...99MR128-ZZ-X10

And a set of these..
http://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?p...&cat=20&page=1

Everything is a direct fit, with no cutting, drilling etc.

This MOD makes a MUCH STRONGER X-Crawler... I havent comp'd with it yet but from what I tested so far so good! Much tighter in the outer axles, alot less slop!

Hope this helps you with your X-Crawler!
~K4L
Ok I tried your mod. The bearings fit perfect and the outer stub shafts work but you need to shave down the cup to keep your steering and rebevel it. The hexes would not even come close on my x-crawler. I had to get one inch extensions for a Savage and make a spacer to go behind it to take up the slack. Now the wheels and this setup work great so far. I am not trying to down you or take over your thread this is just what I had to do to get better parts on mine. I got the wheel extensions from novarcproducts. Maybe this will help others cause there must be 2 different axle setups they used on these.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #10

Default Re: Great X-Crawler MOD!!!

I've looked for these parts but they say they are discontinued, any knowledge as where to acquire these parts?
alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote