Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: locking diff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2004, 11:16 PM   #1

Default locking diff

what do you guys do to lock your diffs? i want to still be able to drive and have fun with my x factor but still be able to hit the rocks. what wt. is in it from the factory? im thinking that it is pretty light it has a hard time on the rocks :(
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2004, 09:10 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Default Re: locking diff

You can try thicker diff grease for a limited slip feel,thicker the better . Some guys have used Silly Putty,it eventually wears out and your back to open.

If you want to go solid locked,like a spool,anything that will "jamb" the gears together. Hot glue,JB weld,epoxy,CA glue,fill it with,well,basically anything that will not let the gears inside the diffs turn. It's harder on axles and things but if you want no more 2 legger action,it's the way to get it.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 09:58 PM   #3

all that is in the diffs is hardly any grease. i put some 6000wt in them i will se if at makes any diffrence it should seeing on how there was hardly anything in them. I guess i will find out tomorrow. do any of you guys with the x have and problems with the screws breaking on the links? i have broken two in one bay same spot also. Its on the top links where it screws into the axles. i had a spare top part of the axle then same screw broke. so i cut the plastic so that i could get the screw out. Do you think that it will cause a problem? It is a fast truck other then every time i drive it somthing breaks. Also the servo mount is kind of weak i bent the front one and almost lost a $60 servo. any of you guys find somthing diffrent for a servo mount? I drive this truck so i need a new idea on how to NOT break my servo.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Nathan,

I would go with something thicker than 6000wt if you want to do locking with diff. oil.

I would start with 50,000 or maybe 100,000 and go up from there. I just read in RCCA article they did about the X ver. 2, they said XTM recommended to put 300,000 in both diff's for crawling.

Hope this helps....Tom
th67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:43 PM   #5

lol wow!!! i just put what i had laying around it the diffs. i will see if i can get some of that.