Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: Thoughts on a full bearing oil filled counter rotaional tranny?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Thoughts on a full bearing oil filled counter rotaional tranny?

Just like it says i am thinking ok making it out of 1/4 inch black lexan the other day...this stuff is litterly bullet proff me and 4 of my freinds tried to break a 5inch by 5 inch square of it...(i have a whole 4x8 sheet) and we couldnt do it not with a hammer, with a vise and hammer nothing...marked up as hell and ONE bend in it (all other just went back to being stright) Any way back on topic...

So all of the gears will ride on bearings probably from a TXT of TF just a bearing set...it will have differnt "compartments" with holes between them to let the oil flow through...on the out side the posts that the bearing ride on will be sealed with o-rings inside and out...the box will have 3-removable panles so that i can work on it..(with this setup it should be absolutly BOMB proof though)

I will get some CAD drawings up on firday (no school monday then ISS on tues day...then i have a SH!T load of work to catch up on...)

Duke
DUKEMURMUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #2

I wouldn't make it out of the 1/4" stuff, its TOO thick. You don't need that kind of strength. The 1/8th stuff works great. Mine is bomb-proof with the 1/8th stuff. As for the thread, yeah, Ace sells little rubber O-rings that would fit snuggly against the sidewalls of the bearings, if you decided to mount them in the tranny casing..

Just make it out of the clear stuff so you can see it all, looks way cooler

_bR3T7
clodbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I think 1/4" will work great ! It will give you lots of room to sink the bearings and drill holes for mounting. check out Clodbretts, Mine/project Shaft's, and Rcalloys, Trannies for a better idea.
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

That is what i was thinking it would allow me to set the bearings in better...also i just measured it and it is 3/8 not 1/4...so that is gives me more room to drill holes and tap them for the screws to hold it together...going to be sealed with a gasket or silicon...my buddie has a gasket making kit so i might try that...

Duke

Also i was wondering what bearings to get i am leaning torawrds some from MCmaster Car they ar pretty cheap and i can get whatever size i want...i am also getting stainless steel gears from them to use...lol this things is going to literly be unbreakable...

Duke
DUKEMURMUR is offline   Reply With Quote