Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: X-factor super build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Knuckles are stock as far as I know, bought the axles used. I swapped in savage stub shafts and aluminum 14mm hexes. You could do the exact same thing but run 17mm hexes. I'm running 14mm maximizers, the LSTs run on any 3.2" maxx sized wheel. The link you posted looks like the old style losi claw tire, which is much harder than what I have. I've read on here that both tires have the same part number so ordering them can be difficult. I planned to run moabs, but was interested in the lst's. When I saw them in the LHS I made a quick desicion and changed my plans on wheels and hexes to match that. Moabs might be better but I wanted to try something different. These LST claws are much softer than the old style. Best way to spot them is the hollow lugs, similar looking to the 2.2 rock claws.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #22
RCC Addict

ahh gotcha!

These are the rims I have so they should work on the claws.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNWR1&P=ML

I'll have to see if I can find the softer version. The only problem I see with my setup would be the wheels I want to use have a total of 1" offset (from front of rim to back of hex) which will make this thing WIDE. I have a set of Moab XLs on 23mm cheyennes so that is an option also. I'm not a fan of the look of moabs though.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Nice, I don't remember ever seeing that design of maximizer. I got the solid ones, yellow, and buggy narrow, because they were on sale. Lucky for me maximizers take to dye extremely well. Yes, 1" more offset will be wide. Mine are 0 offset and mounted up with the claws are 16.5" wide at the outsides of the tires.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

hows this project coming along, look foward to seeing some more

btw, i think you sould do something like this to the tranny, but you dont have to, its just a sudgestion

scalerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:57 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalerfreak View Post
hows this project coming along, look forward to seeing some more

btw, i think you sould do something like this to the tranny, but you dont have to, its just a suggestion
I'm in a motel right now but will be home tomorrow. I hear that my scorpion and mamba max have arrived from Holmes Hobbies so I am that much closer. I had planned to trim the motor plate or make another one. I didn't cut it yet because you never know when you might change plans, I have an idea that I might use for the other side of the plate actually, we'll see.

Pic of the power for this beast.

Last edited by Jamus; 10-26-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Got yet another very small update, with pics of course. I found the wax stuff you use on belt sanders for sanding aluminum while in Florida. Stuff works great, made making 4 identical shock mounts a quick job, just bolt all 4 pieces together, drill and sand to shape. Anyway, here's the latest.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

looks sweet, if you want, i can make you a set of shock mounts out of lexan, i just nee one of your shock mounts to go by and badda bing badda boom, i can do them for free too
Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Thanks for the offer but I'm going to stick with the aluminum. Lexan probably doesn't work well with powdercoating, haha. I plan to powdercoat the chassis and links black, then maybe paint the body chrome with carbon fiber trim.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:34 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Got the other axle glued and JB-ed. Mounted it up with the tires and plopped the body on top. It really gets huge once you bolt tires on. I think it's too high, what does everyone else think? I could swap to other shocks, I have stampede and losi buggy shocks. Or I could mount the shocks on it at a lesser angle as sown in bright yellow in the last pic.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:29 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Looks beefy. Going to take the risk with the Losi's?

Nice job! Now get thet body painted!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

id say use shorter shocks to bring it down a bit, this si how i have my twin setup

Old 11-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalerfreak View Post
id say use shorter shocks to bring it down a bit, this si how i have my twin setup
Good looking twin. That's my plan I think. Right now I have it mocked up with stampede shocks mounted to the lower links. It lowered it to the point where the lower links are level with the ground. I think it will work out better this way, just need a better mounting point on the links. The links are solid 3/8" aluminum rod, so I may sand the top flat, drill a couple holes, and bolt TLT axle stays on the top.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Another small update. Posed on the kitchen table of course, about the only place indoors this thing will fit. Moved the shocks to lower the stance. Also trimmed some things and other small housekeeping type work. Got my tiny batteries in, 2x 5cell 2/3A packs. Pinions, 1000wt oil, and paint should be here tomorrow from tower. And finally holmeshobbies had a castle BEC in stock, so ordered that up. 6V 10amp power for the servos. Here's some pics.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Lookin good! curious to see how it does on the rocks!
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy View Post
Lookin good! curious to see how it does on the rocks!
I doubt it'll be great but I'm hoping it will do ok. And not break anything, that's always a plus. Since this is my first in a lot of things, first super, first droop, etc, I doubt I'll get it right without tweaking or even redesign. But I should be close since I tried to swipe as many good ideas as I could from RCC.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

looks comp worthy to me, very nice stance too, im in the process of rebuilding my twin, gonna use a BMVii talk about low COG, cant wait to see this thing done and running!
Old 11-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #37
RCC Addict

It moves some. Still lots to do before it's crawlable but it's coming along.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPF_0Lpd7n8
Old 11-12-2007, 05:15 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

What radio/reciever are you running? Looks like it performs rather well. Are you using a reciever pack with those 1/4 scale servos. I had two on one of my rigs but never got them to work right.

Krystopher
Toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #39
RCC Addict

I'm running a used TQ3 that I got in a trade last year. I put 2 momentary buttons for the 3rd channel and one melted a little when soldering. So that is why the rear steer doesn't turn as smoothly as I'd like. Once everything is strapped down and the antenna up like it should be it shouldn't clitch any. I have a castle BEC inline to power the servos, 6V and 10amps.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Nothing to take pics of really but a slight update. Got a new receiver and the slight glitching, seen in that video, is gone and the servos seem to be more powerful. Amazing how a $3 receiver from china can make such a difference. Also trimmed down the shock mounts and motor plate. Tried out my powdercoat setup on the motor plate but I think it needs to be warmer to work correctly. That or I'm a fool and don't know what I'm doing with it, the latter being most likely. Also locked the trans in first and locked the slipper, no more slop.I have ran into a slight problem though. I've never actually filled a shock with oil and am having trouble with adding the 1000wt. I'm sure a search on here will remedy that though.

Last edited by Jamus; 12-10-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: illiteracy