Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: My pops needs new shocks for his Yota

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 12:41 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My pops needs new shocks for his Yota

So... It's a 1995 Toyota T100, RWD, DX, 1 ton. 145,000 miles on it. Shocks are worn out... This truck never sees anything but pavement, though it does get used as a truck (hauling fire wood maybe twice a year). I've been borrowing it to commute to and from work, until I can get myself a new vehicle (still unsure what I want, I change my damn mind three to four times a day, much less week to week), and I've noticed that the shocks are worn pretty bad. So, I'd like to buy the old man some new shocks for the rig.

Obviously, I'm not going to make any actual changes to anything beyond the shocks, the truck is completely stock (literally, other than filters, bulbs and the exhaust, and the headgaskets, nothing has ever been replaced on this thing) and will stay that way.

So, I'm looking for some shocks that would help the ride quality for freeway driving... I'm tempted to throw some bilsteins on it, but they are expensive. I have found some, they're $85 each for the front, $78 each for the rear, but just being the shocks, I'm not sure it's worth it to spend that much on them. KYB makes a few options, which are like $35-$40 each front, and $28-$35 each for the rear.

Anything else I should consider? Remember, my pops is in his mid 70's now, so ride comfort is more important than anything else...

And no. Buying him a Cadillac isn't an option.
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2016, 01:32 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My pops needs new shocks for his Yota

Kyb monomax are solid shocks at a fair price. I run them on my autocross truck and I've been happy as can be with them. Amazon had a set of 4 for cheap when I bought them.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #3

Don't worry about throwing money away on shocks.

Obviously price around and comparison shop pricing, meaning don't pay $149 for the same Bilstein you can get somewhere else for $85.

But as for set of shocks....for quality shocks it's money well spent.

Day to day grampa might not notice anything more then a smoother ride and good tire wear, but get into any sort of "driving" and you'll very quickly know what a "good" shock is vs. a stock shock or a bad shock.

I personally have in the past few years found a liking for a good set of Koni's

I was a big fan of KYB's for a long time until the last couple sets of Koni's..

No matter what you decide on (if you do), just remember.... You get what you pay for.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

You do get what you pay for.

I've got Bilsteins on my F350 now and have run them on several other cars I've owned. Very nice shocks IMO. I tried Ranchos on my old rock buggy and they were VERY stiff, never again will I buy those. I ran some KYB's on my low rider VW back in high school, they were decent at best...but, allot has changed since then as far as technology, that was over 20 years ago.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Rancho makes big box store garbage. Bilstien shocks are great, even their cheaper line is better than most top shelf since they actually consider the vehicle when valving the shocks.

Kyb's aren't great but their price point is decent and they are valved pretty well for the application. At half the cost of bilstiens I think they're better than half as good.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:08 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Mkay, I'm gonna order the Bilsteins on Saturday. Probably put them in myself, as well, though I'll have it professionally aligned (since I suck at maths, and I don't think I have enough string to do a DIY alignment).
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote

My pops needs new shocks for his Yota - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
yeti pops/clicks!!! need help Wilt Axial Yeti 14 06-08-2015 03:05 PM
prayers for my pops rock hard Chit Chat 49 03-08-2011 01:48 AM
I Need a Scaler for my pops TheSkunkBuster Colorado 5 12-23-2010 04:39 PM
defender for my pops OIT_TLT 2.2 Scale Rigs 26 12-24-2006 02:30 AM
Axle pops out of gear AmigaJoe General Crawlers 1 07-24-2006 08:23 PM