Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SSD Trail King Pro KIT build - Ford F150 Raptor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default SSD Trail King Pro KIT build - Ford F150 Raptor

I'll start with the pictures.
Following the manual, the first thing are the axles.

I got these 1.55 RC4WD black wheel. They are basic, but they still feel very strong (metal aluminum it seems).

I'm paring these wheel with the new Proline TSL SX, they are amazing.

It's working. Need to figure where to locate the battery. I don't like having the battery in the backtray adding weight on the back, I will try to use the right side side plate for battery and the left for electronics.

I can probably do a better work with the wiring, but it's getting there ...

Firs I will check how the body fits. I had a New Bright Ford F150 Raptor body from a previous build waiting for this kit. The length and width fits perfectly with the frame and wheelbase (12.3in). To mount the body I custom build plastic parts to screw the bottom sides of the body to the side plates.

Works. Need to go back to get the wiring done properly, install the engine cover and some bumpers.

I had an old XJ fromt bumper (from Axial SCX10-II) and a rear JK bumper (also Axial I think) that fits perfectly with the shape of the body. But, the front XJ bumper is really long and has mounting space for a winch that I don't want - I want the bumper to stay as close as possible to the body to keep a scale look and also avoid hitting everything when crawling.. so I did some major trimming.

Since the XJ bumper still has a gap where the winch was supposed to be, I decided to trim a bit the body to fit the shape of the bumper to get a perfect fit. Is hard to see, but in the center the body is a bit longer than the sides to fit that gap in the bumper.

Perfect fit.

The rear bumper was straight forward, no real trimming required beyond removing the original body bumper.

And this is how it looks from the bottom at this point.

Put together the engine and installed it.

Added a strong 3m velcro for the battery and spend time hiding the wires as much as possible. Also added some strong plastic sheet (forgot the name, but it's commonly use to build knife bags) to fill the gap between the transfer case and the battery mount to add more support to the battery and isolation from the elements.

Loved the result so far.

Tested the rig on the backyard, I have some good challenges, climbs, side paths, etc.. and I'm impressed with the performance at this point. This is the 6th crawler I have built and I'm amazed by how well it performs out of the box. The weight is perfectly up front, climbing very hard hills and rocks. The TSL tires do a great work even with the standard foam. The rig is still very light weight tho, and that's helping the performance. Next I will add a full interior, clear windows and a servo winch - and with the added weight with the scale accesorios I'll probably need to upgrade the foams and add some weight to the front wheels, we'll see...

Last edited by D440; 12-13-2020 at 11:44 PM.
D440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SSD Trail King Pro KIT build - Ford F150 Raptor

Looks good! Those little TSL's look fantastic.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:16 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I wanted to install the 3d motor bottom part which mimics the oil gasket but there were some clearance issues. If you have the shocks fully compressed the axle top link mount will hit the front. So did some trimming to remediate that. Vualá

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I don't like most rigs with that Raptor body, but those 1.5's look like a perfect match!

Good lookin build
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #5

Great looking rig! I built my TK about a year ago and still haven't had a chance to run it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:30 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

If you ever wondered how I made the rear shock tower fit without cutting the bed, here some pictures showing the setup. I really like this angled-low shock mount, helps with shock travel, keeps weight low and geometry wise ks perfect for climbing.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:32 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I wanted to mount a front servo winch for a long time, bur there's little room to do add one and the way the steering servo is mounted is really not optimal for that purpose. I started by looking double servo mount aftermarket people sell for SCX10 and similar, but couldn't find anything that would fit at all in this Kit. Since the motor is mounted forward and the scale motor on top, there was no way to make something fit.

But, I've wanted to get into 3d printing for a long time and after doing some calculations, two servos should fit in there. This pushed me to pull the trigger and get a 3D printer, and so far loving the experience! I started designing a double servo mount for this Kit and I went through 4 prototypes untill I was able to design something that fits perfectly.

This is the final result printed in PETG:

The servo mount feels strong and sturdy, fitting perfectly the mounting points that the original part for mounting the servo used. I also added inner fenders (sold for scx10-ii). This is the final result with both servos mounted:

Loved the result! Everything fits perfectly and I'm ready to test the winch!

Old 02-01-2021, 02:59 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Nice. I was never too impressed with the stock battery tray location, on an otherwise nicely balanced truck.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:43 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Yes, I didn't even installed the Kit's battery tray as I think is suboptimal position, where the sider are better. Wanted to solve the problem of having the battery on the side without removing the body, so again I went ahead and printed a battery tray so I can slide the battery in from the rear and pull it out. Worked perfectly.

Bonus: this is how the front winch looks like:

SSD Trail King Pro KIT build - Ford F150 Raptor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Sneak Peek of the SSD Trail King-Pro Scale Chassis Builders Kit!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 05-22-2019 11:48 AM
Proline True Scale Ford Raptor SVT F150 Xporter Non Crawler RC's 1 02-14-2016 04:20 PM
NB Ford F150 Raptor SVT (Bad Street) Jynx1983 Newbie General 2 03-09-2013 10:25 PM
Micro Ford F150 Raptor Funcrawler Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 9 03-13-2011 11:01 AM