Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SEMA FJ Cruiser Soft Top

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default SEMA FJ Cruiser Soft Top

OK, here's the next project I'll be working on. It's a little premature since it's still in the design phase and I don't have hardly anything I need to get started, but I've got some pics of what I'm shooting for. I'll be combining some of the expertise of some of the guys (Vendors) from this forum to pitch in along the way...by paying them for their handywork of course. I'm finally joining the FJ club but I think I'll be doing it a little differently than previous builders so I hope everyone enjoys.
Specs: Nikko 1:10 Scale FJ Cruiser Body
A MOCRAWLER Softop
A Custom Chassis from The Scale Shop (Stang Killa SS)
R2 2 speed Tranny (2 spd transfer case!)
35T Warrior motor w/12 to 16 Tooth Pinion w gd600 divorced from tranny
Mamba Max ESC
TBD 2.4 GHz Radio System
ACE Digital Servo
High volt Battery
One of Stefan's New Winches
Things I'm leaving out but shall add later on
Attached Images

Last edited by BGGruff; 03-05-2008 at 04:42 PM.
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Here's some pics of some of the items I'll be using to complete this build:
Custom Chassis from The Scale Shop
Create A Crawler Beadlocks
SDI Trail Dr XL
RC4WD Rock Crushers
ACE Digi Servo
Stefan's Winch
Tamiya Dark Impact Shocks
RC4WD Remote Reservoir Shocks
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Looks like a good start. I hadn't seen that soft top FJC, but It looks like it's the only convertible ever made that's easier to see out of than the hardtop version. The FJ has enormous blind spots!
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
RCC Addict

And here are some pics of a Chassis from The Scale Shop, The Warrior Motor, the choices of axles, the aluminum case for the Axial Tranny, and the RC4WD Crazy Crawler Tire.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
RCC Addict

OK, the previous posts were to show you guys what I'm shooting for and what I'll be working with. Any input, suggestions, comments, and criticisms are welcome. I'm trying to do something that no one has done yet, but not only that I'm trying to build a cutting edge, technologically up to date rig that not only looks real and sharp but performs as well. You guys let me know and please provide some input b/c everything that is done to this rig will help support the vendors on this forum since I'll be buying 99% of my stuff from them.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:53 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
Looks like a good start. I hadn't seen that soft top FJC, but It looks like it's the only convertible ever made that's easier to see out of than the hardtop version. The FJ has enormous blind spots!
Thanks chrisjlittle! I know this is the first convertible Fj I've ever seen myself...that's why I chose to try and conquer it.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:55 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Ok you guys if you got a minute give me some input on which axles, tire/wheel combo, and suspension set up you think would be more realistic.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

ooh this looks to be a good one.

rock crushers would be best IMO, but may be too tall for the body at 4". dunno. If not, I'd go mudslingers. crazy crawlers look too rounded across the tread to me, but may just be the pictures I've seen.

let me tell you-creatacrawler beadlocks are the way to go. they are stunning in person and so well machined its a work of art.

dunno any of the axles but I hope you're going black. I would. Same for the chassis-looks 10x better in black.

good luck.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:49 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
ooh this looks to be a good one.

rock crushers would be best IMO, but may be too tall for the body at 4". dunno. If not, I'd go mudslingers. crazy crawlers look too rounded across the tread to me, but may just be the pictures I've seen.

let me tell you-creatacrawler beadlocks are the way to go. they are stunning in person and so well machined its a work of art.

dunno any of the axles but I hope you're going black. I would. Same for the chassis-looks 10x better in black.

good luck.
Yea I'm thinking the Crushers look the closest to the actual tires on the 1:1 so that's probably what I'll be using. I'm definitely am going with the Create a Crawlers, I'm just not sure which ones yet. As far as the axles go I will be using black if I have to get em powder coated. Same goes for the frame. It'll get painted black. Thanks for the compliments and the choices you've made. That's just the input I was looking for.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yet again, Here's another way I've been inspired. I did a short writeup of what I think can get you a real looking "soft top". I forgot about it until just now.

My Guide to a soft top for any truck project

Hope it helps ya out!

-Tim
Tim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_B View Post
Yet again, Here's another way I've been inspired. I did a short writeup of what I think can get you a real looking "soft top". I forgot about it until just now.

My Guide to a soft top for any truck project

Hope it helps ya out!

-Tim
Thanks Tim! That is a great write up and seems like a solid way to make a soft top for any rig but my good friend Terry (MOCRAWLER) is gonna take care of it for me. He's already made two tops for me. One for my D90 and one for my Courier and both turned out perfect. I have build threads for both in the 1.9 section so go check em out if you'd like, he does fantastic work! I already contacted him months ago about this project and he said he'd take care of me, but I appreciate the input and I may try this method in the future on another rig.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #12
~THE SCALE SHOP~

crushers or stompers at 4.25" will be much too big for a 10.5" WB. youll need trail docs or high lifts
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
crushers or stompers at 4.25" will be much too big for a 10.5" WB. youll need trail docs or high lifts
I appreciate the input Corey and I know they'll be too big for the WB, but the Crushers look so close to the actual tires on the 1:1. I'll most likely go with the Trail Docs b/c they'll look more proprtionate. Hey what about the new 3.7" 1.9er that you've been pushing RC4WD to build...are they coming out with it? Won't it look pretty good?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Location: a place where everything looks the same. oh and no rocks.

iam surre this has been posted up already but i want to get the correct info where are you getting the soft top from? is it from a user here if so what his screen name? nice build its gonna come along great.
live2crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Looks like a great start so far man!!!!
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Yes he is a member on this forum. He's been making tops for a while but I just looked up his profile and he's saying he won't be making any more for a while. He goes by MOCRAWLER, and yes he is a vendor here. Thanks for the compliments live2crawl. Here's a couple of pics of my rigs with his handywork on them.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59359

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2crawl View Post
iam surre this has been posted up already but i want to get the correct info where are you getting the soft top from? is it from a user here if so what his screen name? nice build its gonna come along great.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy4life View Post
Looks like a great start so far man!!!!
Thanks countryboy4life! It's going to be a very long build and will take quite a while to complete so I hope you come back and check it out periodically.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I can't believe I missed this before...THESE are going to be the axles I will be using for this build for sure. They're more scale than any out there for a Yota build.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Can you cut down any 2.2"s to be 3.7" tall or so with a better scale tread appearance?

The Rock Crushers have awesome looks but will be huge for sure. Could you section them slightly to shorten them?
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen View Post
Can you cut down any 2.2"s to be 3.7" tall or so with a better scale tread appearance?

The Rock Crushers have awesome looks but will be huge for sure. Could you section them slightly to shorten them?
Yea you can and I have thought about it. I'm not sure what the 2.2 Crushers cut down to 1.9s would be. I'm sure they'd probably be real close to 3.7". But if you go by scale then if the rig being 1:10 scale then the Crushers would actually be a 42.5" tire in 1:1 world, but still may be a little too big. A nice 35 to 37 inch tire would look just right on the FJ.