Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 6x6 axle to axle drive shaft?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 6x6 axle to axle drive shaft?

i got a cut down stock driveshaft to make the link between the 2 rear axles on my 6x6 but it doesnt seem to be long enough cause it keeps popping out under load is there some other trick to linking the 2 axles or something better to use than the stock cut down shaft ?
Randy_4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Building the drive shaft between the 2 rear axles gave me the most grief when I built a 6x6 last year. I ended up using traxxas metal yokes and plastic drive shafts, they ended up being super short in length. I had to limit the articulation in the rear most axle to stop the drive shaft from coming apart.

This isn't the best pic but you can see the intermediate driveshaft. I sold the rig earlier this year so I can't get any more pics.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

This is something that happens to most multi-axle trucks. I have gotten around the problem by using bigger tires and spacing the axles out by that extra 1/4 inch or so you need.

You may need to limit your suspension flex too.

BigSki is right, traxxas pede shafts are shorter(and stronger) than axials, so try those.

I just built my 3rd mulit-axle truck, and it does not have this problem, although the other two did.
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

awesome thanks guys keep the ideas coming im open to all options right now
Old 06-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

make u a rubber sleve to go over it and that will keep it from comin out also u mad to get another and cut it longeroh yea u got any build pics
XxRockStar199xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

What about using a highlift drive shaft so that it can't come apart?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
What about using a highlift drive shaft so that it can't come apart?

not a bad idea i wonder if i cut down the highlift shaft and weld it back together that might work but welding it back together straight might be a problem though there is not much room to play with at all so i been thinking that if the rig was on 2.2's i could space out the axles a little more and have a bit more shaft on there but i wanna try and keep it on 1.9's so i am really limited to the room i have
Old 06-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I put a short limiting strap on the center of my intermediate axle. Mine would pop apart going up inclines when the intermediate was drooped and the rear was compressed. Putting a strap in the center didn't hardly hurt the flex side to side but it won't let the entire axle droop fixing the problem like a charm.
Blazefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_4life View Post
not a bad idea i wonder if i cut down the highlift shaft and weld it back together that might work but welding it back together straight might be a problem though there is not much room to play with at all so i been thinking that if the rig was on 2.2's i could space out the axles a little more and have a bit more shaft on there but i wanna try and keep it on 1.9's so i am really limited to the room i have

I am using 1.9 Baja Claws, though many of the polish rigs use 2.2s and are built to true 1/10th scale. 2.2s are not out of scale for such large trucks!
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote