Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Inexpensive Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #1

Default SCX10 Inexpensive Mods

I just got a new SCX 10 TR for Christmas. I have been more than impressed with it out of the box but, I would like to improve its crawling capabilities. I have already moved the battery to the front and have put holes in the inside of the wheels for more traction. Does anyone know of any inexpensive ways to impove the scx10?
scx10crozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Inexpensive mods

Well when i first got mine i weighted the wheels, moved the battery, took the rubbers off the shock shafts, and changed the pinion to slow it down.

Now i have 30 degrees bent links front and rear, did the hand bros servo move, put in a rc4wd 2.1 gear reduction box, made a true 4 link in the rear, and changed the body.
alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scx10crozier View Post
I just got a new SCX 10 TR for Christmas. I have been more than impressed with it out of the box but, I would like to improve its crawling capabilities. I have already moved the battery to the front and have put holes in the inside of the wheels for more traction. Does anyone know of any inexpensive ways to impove the scx10?
You can pick up sticky backed wheel weights from your local tire shop. Put them inside the tire,on the rim.. About 3-4oz (per wheel)for the front and 1-2oz in the rear. I personally run 4oz front 2.25oz in rear. It keeps the rear stable wen decending. Oh and the weights are cheap.
tklatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

is there any where else to buy weights?

I like this thread alot. I need to improve my tr too
bronco_trail_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I've heard that the tr's driveshafts pop off often and that a cheap upgrade to fix it is to get some axial driveshaft rings and install them in so you dont get the driveshafts poppin up in the middle of a gtg or comp or trail run.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco_trail_rig View Post
is there any where else to buy weights?

I like this thread alot. I need to improve my tr too
Wal mart has a tire/lube express. you can try there..thats were i got mine.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco_trail_rig View Post
I've heard that the tr's driveshafts pop off often and that a cheap upgrade to fix it is to get some axial driveshaft rings and install them in so you dont get the driveshafts poppin up in the middle of a gtg or comp or trail run.
Yup,there a good,cheap fix.Havent had any problems since install.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Yeah what is the deal with those driveshafts falling off? I took mine straight out of the box, and hadn't even driven yet, just messing around with the flex doing some poser shots, and within 15 mins the front and back shaft had both fallen off of the motor. I tried just retightening the set screws but they came off again. The driveshafts have threaded holes for a set screw on each side of the yoke but only come with one installed. I put a nother set screw on the other side and lock tighted them both in. Haven't had a problem since then.
FuriousCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskancrawler View Post
Well when i first got mine i weighted the wheels, moved the battery, took the rubbers off the shock shafts, and changed the pinion to slow it down.

Now i have 30 degrees bent links front and rear, did the hand bros servo move, put in a rc4wd 2.1 gear reduction box, made a true 4 link in the rear, and changed the body.
Where did you get those 30 degree bent links? Did you have to make them or does someone already make a direct replacement for the TR?
FuriousCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousCal View Post
Yeah what is the deal with those driveshafts falling off? I took mine straight out of the box, and hadn't even driven yet, just messing around with the flex doing some poser shots, and within 15 mins the front and back shaft had both fallen off of the motor. I tried just retightening the set screws but they came off again. The driveshafts have threaded holes for a set screw on each side of the yoke but only come with one installed. I put a nother set screw on the other side and lock tighted them both in. Haven't had a problem since then.
Lock-Tight is your friend, take the time to lock tight the driveshaft set screws as well as the wheel hex set screws. It will eliminate these little annoying problems.
Fiveology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #11

Hey, thanks alot. I moved the battery to the front and removed the bumpers on the shocks. I also poke a few holes on the backside of the wheels to allow the tires to deflate better. I may have weighted the tires alittle much though. I have about 7 1/2 OZ. Front and back. So far it works great. I think im going to glue the set screws on the driveshafts. that seems to be a problem from what i've read and experinced. Where do you get the gear reduction from?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Default 30degree links

They are from the ax10 parts list. I wanted to stretch mine so went with longer ones. If you buy the round 30 degree links you can shorten them to fit the stock tr wheel base.
Attached Images

alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklatti View Post
Yup,there a good,cheap fix.Havent had any problems since install.
did you put one on each driveshaft or two? like on on each end?should i buy 4 rings or just 2?lmk
Old 12-31-2009, 02:29 PM   #14
RCC Addict

check out some of my custom mods for the scx10 using all stock parts.
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:44 PM   #15

Where do you get the side rock guards for the scx10?
xphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:14 PM   #16
RCC Addict

i just seen that and was about to ask the same! lol
so - where do you get those?
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #17

Question New to Crawling (stupid questions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scx10crozier View Post
Hey, thanks alot. I moved the battery to the front and removed the bumpers on the shocks. I also poke a few holes on the backside of the wheels to allow the tires to deflate better. I may have weighted the tires alittle much though. I have about 7 1/2 OZ. Front and back. So far it works great. I think im going to glue the set screws on the driveshafts. that seems to be a problem from what i've read and experinced. Where do you get the gear reduction from?
I just built a Axial SCX10 and took it out yesterday and loved crawling on the rocks. But I belive weight is an issue. I am going to move the battery box (as soon as I get another screw as Axial gave me 1 less for the shock mount and I had to use one of the optional mounting screws for the battery). So sorry I am a green horn when it comes to crawling so bear with me, so here are some of my stupid questions.

1. Where do you put the weights on the tires? Any pictures of this, and does it make the tires "wobble"?

2. Do you just take a dremmel and drill a whole in the sidewall of the tire? 1/4" or larger or smaller?
xphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #18

You have to take the tire off the rim and put the weights around the wheel. Then put the tire back on. It is super easy. I just did mine. As for drilling the wheel.... Take the wheel off the truck and on the inside lip drill 2-3 holes. if you do it right you will be able to squeeze the tire and hear and feel the air come out and back in. Whatever you do don't drill into the actual tire it will ruin it. I would probably use a 1/16" bit or a 1/8" bit. That should be perfect. Let me know if you have anymore questions or if that was confusing.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #19

Default SCX 10Mods Inexpensive

Hello there...i am fairly new to this Scale...trail...rock thing...i have just completed a SCX 10 and wheeled it for the first time this weekend...55T Novak Motor, Rooster ESC...Nicads up front...Drive shaft rings from Axial...4 oz of lead in the front...1.5 oz to the rear...results blew me away...this truck rocks...as i am finding out...practice practice practice...wheel position is key when on the trail...only change things one thing at a time and the results will come...fab product...its worth experimenting with damper oils to
Shardlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #20
"HOLLYWOOD"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskancrawler View Post
They are from the ax10 parts list. I wanted to stretch mine so went with longer ones. If you buy the round 30 degree links you can shorten them to fit the stock tr wheel base.

Did this mod on mine I love it works great!!!!
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote