Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: HPI 79 F150 super cab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HPI 79 F150 super cab

I picked up a HPI 79 super cab body yesterday, great body, fairly scale. The only drawback is it's about 14.75" wheel base. I've got it mounted on the truck with a 15" Wb, it looks good. I'm running baja claws and HPI wheel wideners. It crawls like a champ but you need to do twenty point turns to get around corners, just like the real thing. I will post pics when my camera decides to start working.
rockwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Interested in seeing your pics!
I think that body has some promise.
My TLTs would almost tuck under it, but wholly.......21" long!

Takes away some from the lines of that years body style, but what if you cut the bed off and took 1-2" off the front of it and doved it a little?
Or cut it off and make the end a stubby tuber rear?

sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
RCC Addict

yeah i understand about the twenty point turns i have the gmc topkick about 14 1/2 " wb
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
Interested in seeing your pics!
I think that body has some promise.
My TLTs would almost tuck under it, but wholly.......21" long!

Takes away some from the lines of that years body style, but what if you cut the bed off and took 1-2" off the front of it and doved it a little?
Or cut it off and make the end a stubby tuber rear?

I'm going to run a four or five pack. That way i can see if i can live with the wheel base. I'm already thinking about doving the back or a full tube flat bed. Just to give a good idea the cab from the grill to the back of the cab is 12". Only time will tell what happens
but Running a 15" WB has some advantages. wow it climbs Intel you need to make that tight right hand turn at the top

Last edited by rockwalker; 07-03-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I thought this body was awesome since it was posted by hpi on bookface. But does it have the nitro cutout in the bed? Either way this body or the topkick is my next body
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
I thought this body was awesome since it was posted by hpi on bookface. But does it have the nitro cutout in the bed? Either way this body or the topkick is my next body
Yes it has cut outs but they did them in a way that it still loos ok. it only has a couple of lines no big ugly circles for the head.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I got some pictures had to use my work camera so no action shots. I pushed the wheels out a little more and trimmed the wheel wells to help the approach and departure angles what a big difference. Ive only ran it a little in the yard it seems to do really well. Its looking like a bobbed and doved bed are going to be in its furture
Old 07-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Awesome. Reminds me of my grandpa for some reason. How's it crawl with a wheelbase that long?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Awesome. Reminds me of my grandpa for some reason. How's it crawl with a wheelbase that long?
Its very different. It does well in the rock and on hills. but I think I will learn to hate the long Wb because it does not steer so good lots of twenty point turns.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwalker View Post
Its very different. It does well in the rock and on hills. but I think I will learn to hate the long Wb because it does not steer so good lots of twenty point turns.
3racing cvd's and front o/d gears with vanqiush highsteer knuckles, and a robotronics clamp style servo horn will eliminate "20" point turns my jeep can turn a full circle in a 3 ft circle. I bet urs could do 5' circle with this set up maybe even less!

Last edited by kaneohecrawler; 07-06-2011 at 11:33 AM.
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwalker View Post
Scale does have its compromises, looks good though. Any info on the HPI wheel wideners?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Scale does have its compromises, looks good though. Any info on the HPI wheel wideners?
Ive had the wheel wideners for a long time. They have problems the corners on the hex they are a slightly rounded.
the problem with that is if you do make sure they are very tight you will strip a rim. and some time even if they are tight they will still strip a rim. I run Losi mini crawler wheels with them and have not had any problems. For my money the RC4WD are a better product and a lot cheaper.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I Finley took it out on Sunday Ran it for around 6hrs. It crawles great it will climb a 12'' near vertical ledge.
its just point and shoot. As long as you don't need to make a super tight turn. But for a truck with a 15" WB
It turns pretty good.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #14

What frame are you running? I also have one of these bodys but have no luck finding or even building my own
skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooter View Post
What frame are you running? I also have one of these bodys but have no luck finding or even building my own
I'm running a BP Chassis Its still a little short for the WB So I bolted on some short frame extensions that way it still looks good. If you make a frame out of flat plate its easy you could do it with a hack saw and a dremel tool. it would take around a hour and the cost is cheep. If you are running a scx10 that's what most people have just trace the frame with or with out the shock tours and add some to the back of the frame in tell its like you want it. the biggest problem I had was the drive line you will need to make one. but don't be afraid to get creative after all that's whats great abut the hobby it is limited by your creativity. the long Wb has problems that's why In the next week or so I'm going to shorten it about 2'' and 45 the back add some tube work. Don't get me wrong the long WB is great but it just to long for the tight spots.