Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Custom Body Jeep TJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Pullman Crawler

Default Custom Body Jeep TJ

So I fell out of the hobby a few years back because of heading off to WSU for Architecture and Construction Management degrees. But the hobby got back in my blood this last month after watching the KOH race. So I am starting up me TJ build again. What I have so far is part of my body designed to be cut out on a laser cutter. I need to finish redesigning my axle trusses. Then start designing more parts. Here are some photos of what I have right now. Some of the photos are from when I started the build a few years back, it is really dusty. I will be remaking almost all the parts that are currently on it.
Attached Images

A_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Pullman Crawler

Default Re: Custom Body Jeep TJ

I got a little time last night when working on a bid assignment to cut out part of the body parts. Now i just need to set up a jig, test the fit, and make more to finish up the out side of the body.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice work, I like that truss!!!
badBKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Pullman Crawler

So I final got around to working on the things I cut out some time ago. As you seen I completely started over on the body. It is coming together pretty good. There is still lots of work to be done. I'm trying out a new plastic welder. I have always used Tenax but they were out at my LHS so I picked up a bottle of Plastruct Bondene so far it seem to be working good. we will see how it holds up over time. I haven't even got done with the body work and I am already thinking about what to do with the tube work.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Man I wish I had access to a machine like that! The body looks awesome!
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
Pullman Crawler

Okay I was working on the tail gate tonight and I am thinking the hinges look to large for it. It was the smallest styrene tube my LHS has. But I haven't looked online. What to you guys think?

Old 06-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
~THE SCALE SHOP~

damn! how much for a kit!?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Nice work! On the tube hinge maybe a hair big, but some times its hard to tell from a pic. It would pass for me!
simp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Pullman Crawler

Haha. I wish I could make them up into sale kits. I might post up the cad files of the parts I cut out that way if people want.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Jesus, what a way to break back into the hobby! Welcome back to the scale world (in which I'm new myself), and keep up the awesome work!
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
Pullman Crawler

Yeah. This thing was always an idea on the back of my mind when I used to do the 2.2 comps, but I never got to it. Now I have no hardcore comp rigs. Now I have two scale crawler I'm building and a twin hammers. I can't wait to finish them up and make it to some scaler runs. I'm working on a 3D engine model that I'm hoping to try and print that will have the 7t puller inside of it. What is bugging me right now though is the fact that I can't find a nice scale looking transmission that is two speed. I'm hoping to maybe marry a motor to a gear reduction unit to a two speed transmission. My hope with the gear reduction unit is so I don't have the large spur gear and I can mount the three all tight together so it looking like a real motor and trans. So as soon as I have to money I will be buying the parts and try to see what I need to fab to make it work.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Very cool work.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Jeeper View Post
Yeah. This thing was always an idea on the back of my mind when I used to do the 2.2 comps, but I never got to it. Now I have no hardcore comp rigs. Now I have two scale crawler I'm building and a twin hammers. I can't wait to finish them up and make it to some scaler runs. I'm working on a 3D engine model that I'm hoping to try and print that will have the 7t puller inside of it. What is bugging me right now though is the fact that I can't find a nice scale looking transmission that is two speed. I'm hoping to maybe marry a motor to a gear reduction unit to a two speed transmission. My hope with the gear reduction unit is so I don't have the large spur gear and I can mount the three all tight together so it looking like a real motor and trans. So as soon as I have to money I will be buying the parts and try to see what I need to fab to make it work.
I've been contemplating using a gear head on the end of my Mini Mongoose setup so I can mount it in the nose of my Sami project, but finding a transfer case is the part I'm not looking forward to. I'd love to do away with the obnoxiously huge trans/spur/motor/motor plate setup in my rig.

You opposed to cutting stuff for other people? I have the files and materials ready. Just waiting on cash...
Old 06-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #14
Pullman Crawler

I wouldn't mind it, but I don't think I could do that with out buy a venders star. A moderator can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong with that. But I think that is the way it works.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Actually, I believe you're right. My fault for asking.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #16
Pullman Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Actually, I believe you're right. My fault for asking.
It's cool. I used to have a venders star when I used to do comp, because I sold a few different products when I lived in California and had the tools and time to make parts. Im p.m.ing a member right now that is looking into make body's. So if you want, if he does start up, I'll pass on your name to him.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I actually was looking to have the parts for my quadcopter design cut. I believe I found somebody locally that'll do it cheap as well. Thank you for the offer though!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
Pullman Crawler

I finally got back around to working on this thing again.
I finished up the front inner fender. I worked more on the rear inner fender as well. Last night I got the door hinges made up and mounted to driver and passenger doors. That was more of a pain then I thought it would be. I need to make up the ones for the tailgate and then make up the latches for them so they can open and close and stay closed. Trying to sort out the rest of the drive train so I can start designing the steering gear and the whole engine compartment.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #19
Pullman Crawler

I bought some new parts for the sale section that should work quite nicely for this build. Picked up a gear reduction unit as well as an R3 two speed transmission. I'm hopping to fab up a coupler to join to two without a pinion and spur gear. Then the whole unit will look much more scale. I need to get off my lazy butt and design the engine for this thing. My plan I to 3D print a engine that the electric motor will fit into. Hopefully pulling off a very clean engine compartment. I can't wait to have this thing done!