Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ultra 4 thing chassis ready for powder coat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #1

Default Ultra 4 thing chassis ready for powder coat

This is my first build type thread so ill probably screw it up. After Much building rearranging tearing down brazing and rebrazing I finally finished my ultra 4 chassis. I bead blasted it sanded it and it is ready for the powder coaters I am going to powder coat it a tigerlac safety orange. Here are some photos I'm not sure what to paint the body panels yet I was thinking about a pearlescent white. I know from my art school days that blue is the complementary color to Orange so maybe dark blue. anyone got any ideas?
It uses a narrowed new bright TJ body.
I bought an 18.5 brushless Novak motor with an mmp running through an r2 trans on 3s.
cb44v is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Ultra 4 thing chassis ready for powder coat

you didn't screw anything up, except for the layout of your pic's.... I think the idea is to place them below one another.

your brazing and tube work looks sweet . what color are you planning on the powder coat? If I can throw a reccomendation at ya' I would say silver.
z71baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

Thanks, it's going to be safety orange like a traffic cone. Silver might look sweet with it. It's going to have a half interior. I was looking for the driver figures from an hpi Baja but I'm having a hard time locating any for sale.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #4

Ok so back from powdercoat. And I must say it looks amazing. They did a fantastic job.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #5

Ok so I'm starting the buildup of this beast. Got some wires in. It's cool not to have to worry about the interior in this rig.
I am going to put in a half interior here's my driver.
He comes out of a tamiya frog.
I also fabbed up a fuel-cell for the back.
My only concern so far is that this transmission is geared way too low. now I kind of wish I'd gone with two speed anybody have any experience with one of these? maybe I can get better gears.
Okay that's all for now getting late I'll have some more tomorrow maybe some paint And a little more interior.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Looks like an awesome start!!

I think your wheel speed will be fine. Are you running 2s or 3s?

What colors are you going to do for the body panels?
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

Thanks man I wasn't sure if anyone was watching this. I'm going to be running 3s . I'm not sure what color for the panels yet. Blue maybe. I ordered an exo radiator and fans . My Lego window netting also showed up so ill be starting the interior soon.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #8

Small update. I made these rock rings for the axial wheels. Then I painted the wheels orange. It was a pain putting all of the 0-80 stews in but they look pretty cool IMO.
I don't think I'm going to use these cut boggers. They are a little large. I wish they made two faced in 1.9 maybe irocks or those maxxis trepadores. Here's a little preview.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

You will have plenty of speed on 3s. Nice job on the rings, they look good.

I think bright blue, like a subaru blue, or real heavy metallic or pearl black would look cool.

For tires 1.9 ttc claws might look good. What are you going to use for axles?(sorry if i missed it)

I really like that chassis, it has a really cool look to it.
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #10

SCX 10 Axles, mip shafts with the traxxas pins. I like the blue idea I think I'll go with that. If it would just stop raining I would be able to do some painting "stupid tropical storm". Got to go to the hobby shop and pick up some pro weld and some styrene then more updates.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
RCC Addict

WOW... this things looks fantastic!!!! I absolutely love the Orange it doesn't get used enough in my opinion. If you are still looking for input on panel color to make the Orange POP, I think blue is the easy go to color but not the only best option, so I suggest silver and blue two tone panels.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb44v View Post
this looks great
Old 06-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #13

Okay a small progress update. Got some pain on this thing I decided to go with blue and silver stripes. I think it came out pretty nice I couldn't resist sticker bombing it. But it is full factory race you know so you have to have your sponsors, ha ha. I went with a 4000 number because that's what all the ultra 4 Rigs run. Sorry about the 2 Wheel Dr. but I'm trying to get the front suspension set up, a process that I hate.

I got the rest of my interior components today too. A co driver and an exo radiator and fan set. More updates soon.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #14

The tube work looks good, and I'm really digging the orange..
Can't wait to see it finished.
Yaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #15
RCC Addict

this thing is looking nasty I love it
Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #16

nd4spd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #17

This isn't really update worthy but a few small things. I'm waiting on some Revo ball ends and some other stuff. So I've Been concentrating on the interior a little bit.
I've got the fuel-cell in place I will probably make a spout for it later. Also a little bit of diamond plate in the back in case I want to put a gas can or some batteries.

Here's a shot of the rear end I found these really cool LEDs at RadioShack for a dollar 50 apiece they Already have the resistors soldered in-line.

Here's my driver and co-driver Jeff and Lou. I got them all painted up and hooked up the forced air to their helmets. It gets a little dusty when you're going a buck 29 in the desert ha ha.
I feel like the wheels stick out a little bit too much but I can't afford any D 44 axles. So I decided to make some heavily offset bead lock wheels out of delrin. I should have those done by next weekend.
More updates next week when I get the rest of my linkage parts.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #18

Well it's been a long and crazy summer, camp the beach, everything else anyway I haven't had much time to work on this thing. I just about got it wrapped up a few more electronic things hook up the lights and she'll be done. I think it turned out pretty good it's sits up a little high and it doesn't exactly look like a KOH rig but it sure is fun to drive. Have a look and let me know what you think.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Looks like a monster! How much does it weigh in at?

Also, curious as to the reason for the wire loom on the steering?
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #20

I haven't weighed it its pretty heavy. I'm running a Novak 18.5 brushless with an mmp on 3s so I don't really notice the weight. The wire covers are to cover the threaded rod until I can come up with something else. I had it lower on smaller tires but it just didn't look right.

Ultra 4 thing chassis ready for powder coat - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Powder coat service cnick60 Paint and Body 7 10-09-2008 02:29 PM
Powder Coat a tube frame chassis El Capitan Tools, and Procedures 7 06-22-2008 03:18 PM
Paint or Powder coat clodman General Crawlers 17 01-09-2006 01:58 PM
Paint or Powder Coat TxT 1 chassis? MrPhantom Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 0 10-29-2004 12:46 AM