Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The "Big" Purple One - SCX10 1:10 Land Rover 6x6 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #1

Default The "Big" Purple One - SCX10 1:10 Land Rover 6x6 build

Well seeing as most of the parts are ordered or have arrived I thought I would start a build thread, it will be slow progress for now but here is the plan...

This all starts with my 1:1 Land Rover rebuild project... which has sort of stalled.
Here is what it used to look like:

Recently I have wanted to build a 6x6 but have also been tempted to get back into RC, so I thought why not plan my 1:1 build by making a 1:10 RC?

So heres the plan, sort of...

To get this off the ground I needed a chassis, one with a long flat rear end I could extend... while hunting high and low through build threads and youtube videos I eventually turned to eBay and found this little beauty in the Czech Republic... Side rails for a 6x6 SCX10 already extended for the job!

Being a mechanical engineer by trade means that plastic and bodywork doesnt come naturally to me so eBay came up trumps with this Land Rover truck cab again from the Czech republic.

While I am waiting for the parts to make their way from the Czech Republic I got to ordering the tyres...
I used to love my old Tamiya Hummer, and the rims just have that sturdy offroad look I have always loved, so two packs of four found their way to mine via eBay.
My 1:1 Land Rover ran 37s with a 2" lift, I wanted to replicate that as best I could so RC4wd 1.9 Mud Thrashers were purchased from Wheelspin hobbies for the job. In 1:10 scale they are a 38" tyre on a 19" rim, but with the slightly oversize Land Rover bodies it will look like a 35" tyre on a 16" so that will do for me

Now I needed a transmission to spin them...
I wanted to replicate the ability to have the wheels barely turning while crawling and then highway speeds.
To do this I have started with a Lesu 3 speed planetary transmission which gives a good ratio spread.
Behind that I will be running a chinese copy of the RC4wd Helios transfer case giving a low crawling reduction and an overdrive highway gear.
After that Another cheap chinese 1:1 transfer case will be used to split the drive to the two rear axles, the rear most taking drive via a Lesu centre bearing carrier. So it will look a little like this...

Now I just need to make a decision on electrics, suspension and axles (need the diffs offset to the right like a normal landy).
Any suggestions shout up!
NRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

The "Big" Purple One - SCX10 1:10 Land Rover 6x6 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Land Rover 110 "Gasoline Alley" swissmade Mäsi 1.5 Scale Rigs 71 07-30-2013 02:30 PM
Land Rover 3/4 ton "Big Lightweight" The1nonlyJ 1.9 Scale Rigs 40 12-21-2008 10:21 AM