Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Priceys hybrid Hilux

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2015, 05:05 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Priceys hybrid Hilux

This has been a work on progress on and off for a few years now, usually building cars for others but now concentrating on my own.
Its running. . .
Yota1 axles
Bruiser chassis with Wraith skid
20mm longer leaf springs with rear anti-wrap bar and buggy leaf
King shocks
AX2 trans
Junfac shafts
Bruiser shell with dropped bed
BRXL and CC bec
Hitec 7955
Racelines, with RC4WD rotor hubs with G8 Flatirons

I bought the hilux in pretty poor shape, was a horrid yellow colour with runs in the paint. I had previously done all the barwork for my mate who i bought it off, he never got around to using it so i figured id grab it and give it the time it needed to be a cool looking trail rig.

So far, its had new paint on the body, and all of the above mentionedd parts added. Its still very much a work in progress.

The plans still for this are
Exo cage, VP Led bars, RC4WD inner guards, Axial lighting kit and a complete strip down, sand blast the chassis and suspension and paint to make it tidy.

Anyway heres a few pics of it in different stages, i initially made it with RC4WD ultimate scale shocks.
Attached Images

1tuff40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2015, 05:13 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Priceys hybrid Hilux

Few wheeling pics!
This is an area where we have the Australian National crawler comp, its a great spot, and super grippy. I broke a CVD here, but they were the ratty original cvd's so i upgraded to the newer versions, so far so good.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2015, 05:28 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I had some King shocks laying about, so decided to play around with getting these to work. Theyre 110mm in the front and 100mm rears. Works great with them, and running half a standard Ultimate shock spring in each shock to help take the load off the leaves.

With the leaves, i made them 20mm longer than stock and redrilled the shackle mounts to suit the longer leaves. Decided to go the buggy or elliptical leaf setup on the rear for something different.
I used the spring out of a lawn mower pull start for the leaves and bent the eyelets with using the mapp gas torch and carefully rounded with long nose pliers, then tapering the eyelet to allow the leaf to twist.
Works alright for leaves i say.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Took both of my hiluxes out for a local beach run.
Very happy with how both the Hiluxes went, the green one is my "rental" which my mate Hulksta wheeled.
Anyway, a few photos of the day.....
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Handles better now it has oil filled shocks. The ultimate shocks didn't do much in the way of dampening.
It's a very cool rig to wheel.
The choice of a rather low ratio low range that lets it crawl very nicely or high range which will let it do circle work on the sand is pretty cool haha.
The buggy leaf setup is going to be an on going trial and error thing, but so far it seems to work well for what it is.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Spent this afternoon looking at improving the approach angle, was pretty frustrated ramming the square edge of the spring hanger on the front into everything!

Managed to re drill the leaf mounting point up around 6mm, and removed the square hanger that caught up on everything, now with the leaf up higher, and a smooth bracket it should be a lot better.

Also made some slightly longer leaves, only 6mm longer than what the previous leaves were so now theyre roughtly an inch longer than stock. Drilled the leaves out to push the front diff forward the extra 6mm. All that mmade a pretty good difference to the approach.

Nice soft front end should be nice on the rocks too. Shackle angle is more around 45 degrees so happy with that.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Next on the to-do list is get the Wraith knuckles onto a new Yota housing.
Been wanting to do this mod for a while now, and with a stripped kingpin screw, i figured why fix that when i have a new rear housing and all the wraith outers sitting here.

Aiming for about 10mm track improvement as well to take advantage of the increased steering and not just rub the tyres onto the leaves.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2015, 06:40 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Just bought this, will look heaps better on the ends of the Yota housing and the VVD's being 5mm thick all the way on the axle will be so much stronger and more suitable to shorten and modify to suit the Yota locker compared to the normal Wraith uni's.

Ill be using all the outers, which obviously are the VP C's, scale knuckles, brass bushes and VVD's.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2015, 11:52 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

So, this happened. . . .

Total width is 5mm narrower than the yota 1 setup, so ill either get some 9mm wide hubs for the Racelines or swap to some Methods i have here for another build. The tyres rub pretty hard into the leaves so need a little bit more width.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2015, 04:06 AM   #10
Sinking with the ship

Seen this axle mod a few times now, really want to give that a try for myself. Anyone who owns the axles knows there biggest down fall is lack of steering but doing this mod clears that's right up! Nice work dude
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Should be a different car to wheel now.
I went with a rear Yota housing for a TF2, as it suited what I wanted better and had more of a nice round area to mount the Wraith outers onto.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:41 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Seen this axle mod a few times now, really want to give that a try for myself. Anyone who owns the axles knows there biggest down fall is lack of steering but doing this mod clears that's right up! Nice work dude

Hey Mike

I thought 1 down fall was the R&P Also?

Sweet build also
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:52 AM   #13
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
Hey Mike

I thought 1 down fall was the R&P Also?

Sweet build also
I have never stripped one, if they are shunned and properly greased they are plenty strong IMO.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:23 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Im not hard on the lux at all. If its in a bind or wedged then ill pick it up. Also im looking at going to some 1.55 Pitbulls as well stretched over the racelines.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

So i mounted up a new set of 1.55 Growlers to some Methods, stuffed with some of the usual CI foams and approx 150g of weight in each front wheel.

Just need to make a new pair of steering arms and looking forward to taking it out and giving the new front end a test run!

The reason for the change of rim was the front end turned out about 6mm narrower than the Yota axle, so these were laying around and with already having .600 hubs fitted its just enough to clear the tyre on the leaves on full lock.

The new front leaves seem to love life stretching out and the front end with the now added weight in the wheels (previously no weight run) should make it feel more planted, well thats the plan anyway.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

WOW! Look at that fall-out! Impressive work on your Toy so far. The steering mod is sickness. I also like the stretched pits..... You will love that rubber compound. Traction is yours in any terrain.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Truck looks amazing and has some really good flex with leaf springs. You have any more pics or a build thread on the green hilux?

Sent from my 2500HD
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpede View Post
Truck looks amazing and has some really good flex with leaf springs. You have any more pics or a build thread on the green hilux?

Sent from my 2500HD
Thanks mate.
It's all work in progress!

The green hilux doesn't have a build thread as such, but specs are similar to this one.
Bruiser chassis, leaf front (same as this one) but coilover 4 link rear (to be changed to seperate coil/shock soon)
FXR, Bec, 19t Holmes pro motor, 7955
AX2 trans, Junfacs
SCX10 diffs with VP chubs, knuckles and 3 racing cvd's.
MT beadlocks with sticky claws

Plans for that are full interior, but more barwork and lighting along with the suspension changes, and run King shocks all round.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:30 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
WOW! Look at that fall-out! Impressive work on your Toy so far. The steering mod is sickness. I also like the stretched pits..... You will love that rubber compound. Traction is yours in any terrain.

Thanks Banana.

Super keen to wheel it!

More cool mods to come hopefully soon!

Priceys hybrid Hilux - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*** Hilux Honcho Hybrid *** Wild Snapper 1.9 Scale Rigs 34 06-27-2013 06:30 PM
Tamiya Hilux Axial hybrid dun79 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-09-2010 12:21 PM
Hilux Hybrid paint in progress chino438 Paint and Body 9 01-01-2009 07:45 PM