Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: FATBOY's other Trail Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default FATBOY's other Trail Rig

not real sure how this rig will end up when finished. all i know for sure is, it will be a 1.9 scx10 axle/skid based build

well a big thnks also goes out to scottanthony for hooking me up with this almost mint Isuzu AMIGO-aka red shaker-body.

here's what i started with, as it arrived monday.

it did have the spare, however he did not get the rear roof section with it when he purchased it. anyway, i think i;ll manage without it
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: FATBOY's other Trail Rig

so, not liking the short stock wheelbase it was, i spent a few minutes measuring, and then marked some lines,

studied it a lil while, not really, then started cutting.

no turning back now well i guess i could, but what fun would that be? nobody wants to see me just mount this body on a chassis and have me say "look at my custom scaler i built", do they?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
RCC Addict

after cutting the "wheel well" opening out, i also removed the section that was left back even with the tail light.

then reinstalled the wheel well against the tail light.

this gives the lil rig the appearance of being bobbed, while maintaining the stock overall length of the body and adds 1.25" to the wheelbase.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

well i also had time to get the new space between the wheel and door filled in as well.

got the body lines roughed in pretty good. still have to add some filler, but i'm gonna wait on that till i get both sides ready.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I like the approach to this simple yet effective and looks like a very cleanly done body mod. Did you just use abs cement? Its also very cool as this isnt a super common body. Keep it up!
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohecrawler View Post
I like the approach to this simple yet effective and looks like a very cleanly done body mod. Did you just use abs cement? Its also very cool as this isnt a super common body. Keep it up!
yes, bondene to be exact, and some good ol CA glue as well
Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Damn.. Now why didnt I think of that? It just goes to show one of the Masters at work...! Sub'd!!
scottanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
RCC Addict

looking good Fatboy, already making me regret passing on the body. lol cant wait to see whats in store
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanthony View Post
Damn.. Now why didnt I think of that? It just goes to show one of the Masters at work...! Sub'd!!
me.....a master? thanks for the vote of confidence scott, i hope i make you proud with it.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
looking good Fatboy, already making me regret passing on the body. lol cant wait to see whats in store
thanks jimmy, and i'm glad you and everybody else passed on it as well. my hunt (which i thought would take forever) for one, only took a few hours, thnks to scott
Old 04-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
RCC Addict

i also would like to send out a BIG thnks to rockedup ricky for another peice for this plastic puzzle i have in my mind. but we're not going to reveal that one just yet
Old 04-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
RCC Addict

ok fellas, i got the other side modded yesterday evening, and took a few more pics along the way that i thought i'd just share of the process i used to fill in the new open space that is creadted when i relocate the rear wheel well opening.

i started by gluing a couple of wide strips across the gap on the inside of the body. these hold it in position while you fill in the space. they will me removed later on, and i will back the inside a lil differently before final paint/body work.

then i cut a peice of .020 sheet styrene and glue it in place. i will layer in thin sheets as i go to buildup/match the contour of the body and lines.

when i added this second peice, i made sure to cut it a lil narrower, this gap will be used to form the door line along the back edge of the door. this is easier than trying to rescribe it.

and also, the second sheet brings me close to the overall shape of the body as well.

i then added a small 3rd peice along the bottom to bring out the rocker mold line. taking your time and lining peices like this up will save you alot of time and headache in the end. and require less filler also.

then, with just a cheap "dremel" and a debur bit, and a steady hand, i ruff in the body lines/molding.

then a lil sanding and shaping, and your ready for some filler. which will come later.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Shes looking better already Jeremy. Cant wait to see this little sucker in person
TheManCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Nice !! I have a "Red Shaker" on the shelf just waiting for some wheels !! Like that bobbed look for sure !! SubD !!
SlownSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
RCC Addict

well, i got to work on this a lil yesterday while it was pouring rain here. i removed the upper styrene brace that i had installed before filling the gaps. then i mixed up a lil resin, brushed a coat on the inside of the body, then applied a layer of fiberglass cloth, and brushed a final coat of resin on top of that.

with any luck, this lil step will help save the final body work on the outside.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
RCC Addict

i then applied a coat of glazing putty to the outside, let it dry, and then give it a lil sanding.

then gave it a coat of primer and then resanded.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
RCC Addict

well, i've been working on a modded scx10 steer axle for a lil while when i get some free time to spare. i have told/showed a few people about it, and they've been kind enuff to keep it hush-hush. so anyway, i finally got around to finishin' it up this evening.

here's a quick pic of the finished product, a OCP axial steer axle that is the same width-hex2hex (when using 10mm hexes) as a stock axial rear straight axle w/scx10 hexes.

i'm actually gonna use this axle in this rig, so testing will be at a later date. but i honestly don't see where or how it would fail, outside of breaking some stock knucks & C's.

Last edited by FATBOYrs10; 04-29-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #18
RCC Addict

thats sweet looking man, i remember you showing me something along those lines before but they were wider than stock, i like where this is going
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
RCC Addict

yeah jimmy, basically the same thing i ran before on one of the rigs when i trailed with you last-the Fj cruiser i believe it was, but yes, this setup is narrower than that one was. with this mod, of course you get awesome steering angles, and the pinion angle, well....................you've seen how i run them. more pics a lil later.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Very cool.. I'm liking where this is going.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote

FATBOY's other Trail Rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FATBOY's TF2....Formerly to nice to trail FATBOYrs10 1.9 Scale Rigs 120 07-18-2016 12:34 PM
FATBOY's goin' LEGENDs racing! FATBOYrs10 Non Crawler RC's 6 02-01-2013 11:42 PM
Fatboy's XR10 build Fatboy Axial XR10 14 07-07-2012 03:37 PM
My 2.2 trail rig jcolvin 2.2 Scale Rigs 8 03-09-2012 02:22 PM