Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: New Bright 1:15 FJ Cruiser Build........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #1

Default New Bright 1:15 FJ Cruiser Build........

Ok, here I go! I used to build scale model cars when I was a kid, and always loved r/c but could never afford them.

I customize full size cars with custom audio, so electronics is in my blood.

I recently went though a rough time with some personal problems and anxiety, and that led me to look for a smaller hobby, that I could work on indoors, and even do some small stuff at my desk at work!

I love all the crawlers, but a scale build is more my style, I just really like all the crawler parts underneath!

I want this to be a learning project for me, then I'll move onto a 1:10 build (SCX10 with some scale body, unsure yet).

I know I've got a lot to learn from you guys, and I search the site every day.

I'll be asking a lot of newbie questions as I go.

....I already have the body, ordered a LED light kit, ordered a RCBros Mixer chassis, and some parts, and know I will have to make my own shorter delrin links to shorten the wheelbase. I have no idea what axles will be used, so post up any advice! Then it'll be on to the electronics.

First off the disclaimers:
#1 I'm a newbie, this IS my very first build...so be nice!
#2 I know, I KNOW! I thought I scored a good deal on eBay for a 1:10 FJ,
and the sucker turned out to be 1:15!
#3 I like the smilies!:-P

So I got started stripping the body down, pulling off the stickers, roof rack, windows and light lenses.

Started sanding off all the seams, and cleaning the body:
ptcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #2

that body looks nice. what kind of axles are you planning on running underneath it?
Alexridesabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #3

Self etching primer....kinda nice color actually!

Khaki color paint:

White top had to be done:

Did the bottom half and inside of the body in spray can bedliner:

And the stickers began!

I had some 'bleeding' of the bedliner through the tape onto the tan! I'm a little rusty on the painting, but will try to cover it up with some touchup and some pinstripe tape.

Carbon fiber hood insert and a sunroof! Added a Associated spare tire!

Well it's not perfect, but its a start. I am waiting for the LED lights to arrive, then will add some accessories to the roof rack, (Proline scale stuff).

I am ADDICTED! This has really helped me, but now I spend all my time on eBay looking for stuff. I just saw a 1:10 New Bright Jeep Wrangler JK 4 door for $70, and it was all I could do not to get it for a future build!

Well that is all for now, please post up what you think. It is just for fun, no competition or anything like that....just for me!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexridesabike View Post
that body looks nice. what kind of axles are you planning on running underneath it?
Thanks.

No clue on axles yet.

I am searching every r/c site to see what the narrowest MRC axles are, maybe some that I don't have to modify.

I'd kinda like to stay close to a scale look, in terms of width, but I know I gotta compromise a little due to the 1:15 and my skill level (or lack thereof)
Old 08-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Wow
Good job!

you even get a smiley :-P
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #6

Thanks guys!

I have a lot of fun with scale bodies, so my first builds will be all scalers.

Lets just hope you guys are equally happy with my chassis building skills.

RCBros mixxer is coming with some rod ends, and parts, I'm ordering some delrin tube tonight.

So far on the axles, I am looking at the RC4wd and Tamiya; with the RC4wd's probably being beyond my budget.

If you guys wanna recommend some narrow axles for a newbie....please post! I really think that cutting up some axle housings to cutomize them might be too much for me right now.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Venom Mini Giants were pretty small, I don't know if they will end up @ 5" though
My 1.9 is on TLTs and Tamiya touring wheels, 200mm wide.
Karadjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking fj, it's a pretty narrow body, even my losi mini crawler axles are almost 5 1/2" wide.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #9

Well, RC4wd has these for $49 each. 3.2" wide. And they have 4 link mounts for them. Maybe too small??? Or would I be able to get wheels with an offset to help?

Last edited by ptcary; 08-18-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #10

Anyone know if a RC4wd R2 transmission 70mm would be able to fit the mixer chassis 1.75"???

I scored a brand new one with dig for $30, and can save it for a future build if I can't use it here.

**EDIT....ok I think it is way to wide for an MRC, so I will save it for my SCX10 build. I just could not pass it up for the money.

Last edited by ptcary; 08-21-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Not sure if it would fit, but those transmissions are known to be incredibly weak. So if you can I would use it on a small build like this one if you can, to reduce your chances of braking it. Not sure on the width of that body, but I reckon it would look trick with those little RC4wd axles that you posted and some 1.55 rims and tyres. They are also from rc4wd. Should look good

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

You can always go with a gear motor and use a mrc, mini-t or mlst trans as a transfer case.. the rc4wd axles are nice but I'm not sure if they are wide enough.. I have plenty of pics if you need them I've been building minis for years..
jaymillz517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymillz517 View Post
You can always go with a gear motor and use a mrc, mini-t or mlst trans as a transfer case.. the rc4wd axles are nice but I'm not sure if they are wide enough.. I have plenty of pics if you need them I've been building minis for years..
Nice! RCBros says that the transmission might just fit after looking at the measurements!

I wont give up hope yet, and will post pics when the chassis and trans arrive. I figure I can give those axles a try and try various wheel sizes to get the look right.

Do you have any build logs for your FJ??? It Looks great!
Old 08-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #14

Default Transmission

Here is the model I found, it has the single dig, and they do sell a kit to mount a servo on it, and a plexiglass window for it, too. I might have to paint it black, though!

I hope it works out.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #15

Here's the flashing light kit I ordered. Gotta wait for them to arrive from Hong Kong, though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uf3J...eature=related

Last edited by ptcary; 08-22-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #16

Chassis arrived!

...there are more nuts and bolts in there than I know what to do with, but I figured out a few of them just to get it this far so I can eyeball it under the body for ideas!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #17

Ok I really need some advice here....

Yes?....No?.....Maybe???

I know I would need to make a skid plate, servo mount for the dig, and add two more delrin tubes for chassis support. I would still have plenty of room up top for electronics to be mounted.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:56 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Ok I'm watchin this! body looks great. you could always put spacers in your skidplate to move your tvps outward but you'll have to build new top braces if you need more space.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:36 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I have a mixer, and oddle enough I was just talking about trying this the other day.

I love the idea of the R2 in it. I see where the case is hitting the upper rails on the TVP's.
This is what I would suggest.

1st, pull thos braces from where you have them, and move them to the front corners wherever your shocks are going to mounts. Thats the way that I have mine run. It eliminates alot of fuss with shock mounting and having to come up with all sorts of ball ends, and nuts because you can just thread your ball end, or bolt straight into the brace itself.
Then, after I had done that (and try and stop from wincing on this). I would cut those upper rails off at the point where the R2 tranny is hitting them now. Not cut the whole rail off, but cut a seciton out of it the exact width of the r2 so that it slips right up in where it needs to be.

PM me if want, and I can give you alot of other measurements, tips and tricks for the mixer
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #20

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll try not to bother you guys with PM's and post my questions here so I can keep track of everything.

I got some more work done on the FJ body, added a flashing LED kit, and cut off the top of the brush guard that came with it, and used some CA glue to attach it to the bumper, found the KC stickers on a Traxxas sheet at my local shop.

Also added the plexiglass window with some carbon fiber vinyl to the transmission. Still sitting here looking at the chassis from all angles trying to figure out how it will all go together.

I have 5 feet of delrin, so I can always make some new spacers to widen it later on.

Here are some more pics: