Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Dig usefullness on a Scaler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Dig usefullness on a Scaler.

hey peeps. got another ? is a dig usefull on a scaler? i have a few tranny ideas for the build that may or maynot be useable with my VF Dig, and got to wondering if dig would be usefull on a scaler build (prolly wont comp with it as far as total crawling but.. never say never).

so how usefull is a dig system on a scaler? if its quite usefull how durable are they? i plan on useing a multispeed tranny, so not sure if there is a dig unit that is good for this type of application, or if there is one that will hold up to high rpms?

tahnx for any insight and info you can offer.
Tim
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

probably be real useful most if not all scale rules it would be illegal. but if you dont run in any comps who cares do what you want.. I know we sometimes joke when we are running our scalers about using dig..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
PapaGriz Yo

CRF450R has dig on his scaler. It helps just as much as in a comp rig, I don't know why it would be any different. He uses it all the time when he's crawling.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have been toying with the idea of a rear cutting brake open rear diff and locked front.. simple jamb brake servo setup mounted on rear axle lock up one tire or the other. not really a "dig" setup IMO might be a fun setup
Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Mudboger07 and I were talking about this once, and he came up with an idea for putting a dig on the front only, driving in 2wd for the majority of the time and kicking it in 4wd for when it's needed. Now THAT'S scale.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
[HOONIGAN]

I hate driving anything without dig. I have dig on my 2.2 Wreckluse, I love it. You can do soooooo much more with dig than without it. I highly recomend it. I want to put dig on my MRC, but the rules don't allow it.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Whats the rule regarding dig in scale competition I thought I read it was illegal at the 2008 Scale Nationals wouldn't that be the baseline?
I did read the post where someone asked the question about using a dig system as a front engage/disengage for front wheel drive but never heard the ruling?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

i have been eyeballing the space in the Crunko to put dig in just as someone listed above.
so i can have 2X and then when needed drop into 4X.

that's just cool to me.
im not a comp guy, or a dig snob.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Whats the rule regarding dig in scale competition I thought I read it was illegal at the 2008 Scale Nationals wouldn't that be the baseline?
I did read the post where someone asked the question about using a dig system as a front engage/disengage for front wheel drive but never heard the ruling?
dig is illegal but like some have mentioned so what if you dont compete it doesnt matter...

I dont know about montana but I would have no problem with front free wheel disengage.. a 2wd truck is legal for sure..
Old 11-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
RCC Addict

In non-competition use, it all comes down to what you want your rig to be capable of. If you still want to pull off really difficult lines without having to re-position and such, then dig would be a good addition. If you prefer easier trails or don't mind re-positioning your rig to get past certain obstacles, then you could defintely get away without it.

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 11-24-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Just my opinion, a true dig that locks the rear wheels though useful, wouldnt be very scale. However a dig that alows the front wheels to freewheel, but not lock them would be very scale, and cool to boot. When the new venom axles become available, you could have locking diffs and 2 0r 4wheel drive...now THAT would be scale! Any ways, you have to decide wether you care if it works like a 1:1 or not. If you dont care...dig away!
slobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
DMC
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
Mudboger07 and I were talking about this once, and he came up with an idea for putting a dig on the front only, driving in 2wd for the majority of the time and kicking it in 4wd for when it's needed. Now THAT'S scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobert View Post
Just my opinion, a true dig that locks the rear wheels though useful, wouldnt be very scale. However a dig that alows the front wheels to freewheel, but not lock them would be very scale, and cool to boot. When the new venom axles become available, you could have locking diffs and 2 0r 4wheel drive...now THAT would be scale! Any ways, you have to decide wether you care if it works like a 1:1 or not. If you dont care...dig away!
Not here to contest the rules nor do I really care truthfully since I do this for my own enjoyment rather than competing seriously. I am however having a hard time understanding how the notion of a dig being "unscale" (note I did not say illegal to scale rules because I'm not here to contest them)?

Is it not like an atlas or a stak or a d300 or a 205 that is set up for front burn? If used with cutting brakes it is identical to what you are describing in function. In fact, if you have a locked rear diff it does more or less drag like a dig and locked rear would...

Actually I can think of a better example -- a sami t'case with a rockrat disco on the rear shaft and cutting brakes or just a locker in the back. this is identical to a VF, CKRCC FT, DNA HR etc...

So these real products for real 1:1's replicated for RC is not scale? Does not make sense. Actually seems like some folks who run less than competitive set-ups getting there beat and so therefore we'll make a rule about it.

My 1:1 is a suggy (mostly buggy some resemblence to a sami) with front burn and cutting brakes (locked F+R), it is not a comp rig and therefore a real trail rig. My ax based tuber is more or less a copy in function and form but in a smaller scale -- therefore a "scaler".

Geez. Good thing I just beat up on the comp guys instead of the scale crowd. Can you imagine the whining! (J/K!!!!!!!)

Dig's work great no matter what the application and IMHO are scale in function. I guess that eritex needs to build front burn (1:1 terminology) into the "atlas". Then a challenge to the "scale" notion we would have me thinks?

Last edited by DMC; 11-25-2008 at 04:38 PM.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:05 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Hmm. I hate being ignorant. I admit I hadn't heard of people using cutting brakes on trail rigs other than 2wd baja bugs and sand rails. I learned something new. But then again, I have never owned an extreme trail rig, just garden variety stuff. Even in my reading crawling mags and such I guess I just missed that poeple do a dig like set up in 1:1. So my statement that it wasnt scale was apprently in ignorance. Any ways, it was just an opinion and I didnt mean it to sound like Whining, in the end you run what ever makes it fun for you! Mine are set up like my 1:1 rigs were cuz thats the challenge I enjoy. And it sounds like a dig would make yours run like your Sami so go for it. I do scale becuase i like to play. I have way to many other hobbies to spend time at comps so I couldnt care less about the rules.
slobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #14
DMC
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobert View Post
Hmm. I hate being ignorant. I admit I hadn't heard of people using cutting brakes on trail rigs other than 2wd baja bugs and sand rails. I learned something new. But then again, I have never owned an extreme trail rig, just garden variety stuff. Even in my reading crawling mags and such I guess I just missed that poeple do a dig like set up in 1:1. So my statement that it wasnt scale was apprently in ignorance. Any ways, it was just an opinion and I didnt mean it to sound like Whining, in the end you run what ever makes it fun for you! Mine are set up like my 1:1 rigs were cuz thats the challenge I enjoy. And it sounds like a dig would make yours run like your Sami so go for it. I do scale becuase i like to play. I have way to many other hobbies to spend time at comps so I couldnt care less about the rules.
Most of that ws tongue and cheek but I can appreciate a learning curve and limited context (garden variety) -hey no prob there. I'm not all that into comps just like to have a good time with my buds and a little rivalry here and there. Fun stuff. Just seems wierd to call something "unscale" when it really is... but whatever, we don't really have scale comp classes here more run what you brung so any edge is a good thing.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 AM   #15

yae well the dig is just like having a twin stick tcase and an e brake you could do the same as a 3 pos dig.... o got an atlas twin stick in my real JEEP
dieseldick3408 is offline   Reply With Quote