Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The blazer, now with 2.2's!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Wink The blazer, now with 2.2's!

2.2's are so fun. Who would have thought another 3 tenths of and inch can make all the difference. I was running the stock wheels and tires on my TR until last weekend. Bought some used 2.2 flat irons on j-concepts wheels from another member (thanks rottenbelly) for a great deal. I was able to bolt them up with out too much more clearancing over the 1.9's. I did have to lengthen the three link bars in the front a little and move the CMS around a bit but nothing major. The truck crawls really nice now. I did put my 55 turn back in (had a 27 in for months) to save the battaries from dying a hot death. pics:

This is how the truck was sitting on 1.9's

and this is how it sits now:

Can't quite tuck those big meats but dang they look cool!

I did have to shorten the front bumper too. That however has given me a better aproach at putting a front tire on something insted of hitting it dead on with the bumper. I plan on closing the bumper in again but I havn't decided if I want to keep it that big or not.

The front three link has held up well. The only thing broken was a traxxas rod end right at the skid plate. That was from some TTC style jumping though (not the trucks fault)

I had originally planned on swapping to a jeep body or wreckluse chassis, hence the three link with a panhard but the blazer body has worked really well so far.

Here's an overall setup pic

I picked up a hyperion charger and some thunder power lipo's from krawler hobbies a lil over a month ago now. best money I've spent in a long time. now I'm looking at a brushless setup and maybe some 3s batts but that's alota dough for a layed off electrician right now

Comments and suggestions welcome!
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
RCC Addict

That thing looks great!! All the mud just adds to it!

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Of course some one posts up something good after it goes up for sale :(
Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Sale? What? If it were mine, it would stay out in the mud and on the trails!

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

It's definitly alot of fun to play with. The best thing about having a crawler is you don't have to go to the hobby shop everytime you want to upgrade or change something. Most of the time, you just go to lowes or the hardware store ;)

I'd really like to see some one make a selectable locker axle for 1/10th trucks. That's the one thing I can't get right now that I would buy in a heartbeat. It would make a truck like this so fun to play with. I have almost as much fun driving this one as I do working on it.

If I could run a section in 4wd with the front and rear locked up, I'd try it again in 4wd with the axles unlocked or in 2wd with the rear locked up. I think it'd bring a new method of scoring with scale rigs too. "oh he ran that same section in 4wd! oh yeah well the other guy ran it in 2wd with only the rear axle locked in!"

Enough ranting for now. Thanks for the comments (and getting that jst-hx/hyperion adapter out so fast) ;)
Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
It's definitly alot of fun to play with. The best thing about having a crawler is you don't have to go to the hobby shop everytime you want to upgrade or change something. Most of the time, you just go to lowes or the hardware store ;)

I'd really like to see some one make a selectable locker axle for 1/10th trucks. That's the one thing I can't get right now that I would buy in a heartbeat. It would make a truck like this so fun to play with. I have almost as much fun driving this one as I do working on it.

If I could run a section in 4wd with the front and rear locked up, I'd try it again in 4wd with the axles unlocked or in 2wd with the rear locked up. I think it'd bring a new method of scoring with scale rigs too. "oh he ran that same section in 4wd! oh yeah well the other guy ran it in 2wd with only the rear axle locked in!"

Enough ranting for now. Thanks for the comments (and getting that jst-hx/hyperion adapter out so fast) ;)
You could do that with a front and rear dig but it would take away from the scale look..

Also what is your wheelbase? 12.3?
losimini760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The wb sits right at 12 1/8th". The rear upper links are still stock TR lowers. They've worked just so I havn't replaced them yet.

For the axles I was thinking, what about a set of electromagnets on either side of two seperate differential outdrives? I think the magnets could be strong enough when energized to just about lock the axles and when unenergized they could provide a "limited slip" action. It wouldn't take a whole lot of work to spool a few feet of small gauge wire around the inside of a housing and the magnets could be esily sourced from any online industrial magnet warehouse. Some small springs could be used to displace the magnets when not locked.

There ya go, my million dollar idea, given away ;)
Old 05-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
The wb sits right at 12 1/8th". The rear upper links are still stock TR lowers. They've worked just so I havn't replaced them yet.

For the axles I was thinking, what about a set of electromagnets on either side of two seperate differential outdrives? I think the magnets could be strong enough when energized to just about lock the axles and when unenergized they could provide a "limited slip" action. It wouldn't take a whole lot of work to spool a few feet of small gauge wire around the inside of a housing and the magnets could be esily sourced from any online industrial magnet warehouse. Some small springs could be used to displace the magnets when not locked.

There ya go, my million dollar idea, given away ;)

thanks!

I need a spare Axle to design something like this! lol
losimini760 is offline   Reply With Quote