Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Old Bruiser Just restored with all the goodies!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up Old Bruiser Just restored with all the goodies!!!

Well after a bit of work I finally managed to finish the restoration of my original tamiya bruiser. I bought this truck here in RCC form a member that didn't finish the restorarion process.

The incredible thing about this truck is that it has EVERY single aluminum/stainless upgrade that there was in the market (many aren't available anymore).

It has the RC4WD Punisher shafts (bruiser specific)
the RC4WD Scale Beadlocks that were also made only for the bruiser,
Aluminum steering arm, brackets, collars all stainless screw set... ecc..ecc..

The paint job isn't perfect but be nice.... it's just the second hard body I airbrush in my life.

Tell me what you think....
This pics are BEFORE RESTORATION:

This are AFTER:

Last edited by norbyx; 03-29-2011 at 03:06 PM.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #2

Looks great.

Does your rear RC4WD driveshaft fully clear the radio box without trimming?

I had issues with mine touching the radio box. However, I see that you mounted yours with the sliding end on the transmission. I installed mine the other way. Perhaps that makes a difference?
VTBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That looks awesome, I've wanted a bruiser forever but couldnt justify the price tag...and after totaling up my last scaler build sheesh I could have bought 2 off of fleabay..lol

Nice work one of these days I'll be doing one hope it tuns out as nice as yours.

really diggin the painted axles too they set it off well
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBruiser View Post
Looks great.

Does your rear RC4WD driveshaft fully clear the radio box without trimming?

I had issues with mine touching the radio box. However, I see that you mounted yours with the sliding end on the transmission. I installed mine the other way. Perhaps that makes a difference?
The drive shaft doesn't touch the radio box in mine. Might just be what you stated, mounting the shaft the other way. I haven't tried it but I can tell you that mine is just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-tech View Post
That looks awesome, I've wanted a bruiser forever but couldnt justify the price tag...and after totaling up my last scaler build sheesh I could have bought 2 off of fleabay..lol

Nice work one of these days I'll be doing one hope it tuns out as nice as yours.

really diggin the painted axles too they set it off well
Thanks I couldn't justify the price of it ether, I got it in a trade (as you see it before the restoration) and after I finished the build I have to say that I understand the real value of this truck. It is just amazing the level of detail it is got. I have 2 tamiya hi-lift (a tundra with a MFC-02 and a toyota) and even considering that the hi-lift is a very nice kit, very well done, the bruiser is just light years over it. I think that if they had to make a bruiser kit now days the price would be around the used price of this trucks, over $800 for sure. I CAN'T justify the price of a NEW IN BOX bruiser going for over $3000... that I DO NOT understand, not even for a collector, but I completely understand the $800-$1000 that you find a complete bruiser. Too bad it will just be a shelf queen...
Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback, norbyx.

I'll try flipping the RC4WD driveshaft around and see if it makes any difference.

I'm not the only one who has had issues with the RC4WD driveshafts clearing the radio box.

This person (who made a terrific Bruiser thread on the Scale 4x4 forums) also had fitment issues (see post #157):

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...ruiser&page=11

By the way, here's a link to my recent Bruiser rebuild on Tamiya Club if you're interested:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=61659

In any case, fantastic job on your Bruiser!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBruiser View Post
Thanks for the feedback, norbyx.

I'll try flipping the RC4WD driveshaft around and see if it makes any difference.

I'm not the only one who has had issues with the RC4WD driveshafts clearing the radio box.

This person (who made a terrific Bruiser thread on the Scale 4x4 forums) also had fitment issues (see post #157):

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...ruiser&page=11

By the way, here's a link to my recent Bruiser rebuild on Tamiya Club if you're interested:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=61659

In any case, fantastic job on your Bruiser!
Your bruiser looks killer...
So did you switch the driveshaft to see if you soved your problem?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #7

hay nice job hay i was wondering if you might no what is wroing with my bruiser trany it shift fine on the bench but when i put it in the truck it grinds the gears the tail shaft seams to move back a little bit then grinds but when i push it back in it works ok eny help would be appricated
bruiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I see it a bit difficult to diagnose a gearbox problem without having it in hand. I would suggest you to go here: http://www.bruiserbuilder.com/manuals.htm and download the transfer manual, and start from there. Disasamble it and see if there is any broken or missing part.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #9

Beautiful truck! The bruiser is a true classic.
highwaystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
Your bruiser looks killer...
So did you switch the driveshaft to see if you soved your problem?
I haven't tried switching the rear RC4WD driveshaft around yet. I still have the stock driveshafts installed.

I've got too many other things going on right now. When I get the chance to fiddle with the Bruiser some more, I'll report back.