Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: To what extent do you scale "details"???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default To what extent do you scale "details"???

After seeing numerous threads on a variety of builds, to what extent do you "scale" it if you will? I have a 2.2 buggy build in the works, and am at a crossroad in the design/build phase of what to do at this point. Seeing that this site is "THE" place for scale, what can you tell me? (Hopefully this is in the proper catagory for the mods)
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: To what extent do you scale "details"???

I'm not huge on a ton of scale items on a rig I feel less is more. When I build my 2.2 bouncer I plan on running a "fuel cell",a set of seats, center console, and maybe a set of shifters.

It really boils down to whatever you want.
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I hear what you are saying there about too much. I went the "nothing" route on this car. This one is all business, no frills. Now I am doing v2 of this car here, but with some chassis mods the build is to look like the 1:1 pic. That is the one that has me stumped. So, how far do I take it? The new car has to be built by the end of June for a contest. Help!!!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I would say "scale it out" to the extent that it looks right.

For example:

A Class 1 truck that looks like it might be headed up camping for the weekend would be outfitted differently than a hard-core trailered Class 3 buggy.

I typically have a spare, fuel can, tow strap, high lift jack, interior with drivers etc on my Class 1. Class 2 will have a couple items strapped in back (fuel can, water, cooler) with a couple safety items in the interior. Class 3 is bare bones, driver, interior, fire extinguisher and that's it. I think simpler is better, just make it look reasonable.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

Get the tube work as close as possible to the 1:1. Then get the details as best you can. You can easily replicate the interior (or at least something close that hides the electronics), the mirrors, window netting. Get as much as you can is my thought.
Do something on the back end to hide the motor/trans.

The hard work on the details is what will make it stand out. The items with higher detail will also help draw your eye away from the things with less detail.

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
PapaGriz Yo

The first things I notice on your buggy are the lack of an interior, the unscale looking black shocks, the motor/trans in the back, and the spare tire hold down nut. Scale tires would help a ton as well.

That spare tire is a prominent item, make it look good with a scale looking hold-down nut.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks so far for the input. Please keep it coming. Nice rig by the way^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The first car was built just to prove that it could be done- rear trailing arms. That said, the spare tire is already history, and I'm going to build a deck lid out back on the "done" car, maybe a dash and some motor panels. The car in concern is V2, the one that in progress. It is 1/4" aluminum rod, all tig welded. A little large for scale I know. As for the shock situation, out back will be a Yeti rears and the same black ones as you see for a bypass. 3-5/8" travel up front, 4-1/2" out back. It will be mid motor because of driveline choice and the battery will cover the rear with a deck lid, hiding the rear.
Half of my problem for keeping some of it scaled is that there are a very limited amount of "stockish", off the shelf parts for my build, as it is not "traditional" if you will, and, it has to be able to take a beating. That is the other variable so it is slightly over-engineered, again, blowing the scale.

I'm sucking this up like a sponge. Anybody else? Just saw this above: Quit buying it and build it PRICELESS!
Old 04-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

It wouldn't take much to build a nice scale buggy. You don't need a bunch of details. I think of the Tamiya Rough Rider and the Associated RC 10 when I think of scale buggies/desert racers.

If you keep most of the 1/4" rod covered like the 1:1, it won't look bad.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
RCC Addict

My build will look basically exactly like the black Porter in the pic, except the hood will have a single bubble instead of 2 over the tops of the front shocks. I guess my question is to what extent of detail do you take it, because this would be kinda like a class 3 crawler I guess if I have that correctly. The car scale is probably more like 1:9 than anything. I am just going to have to figure out how to hide stuff in the cab, the rear will be covered up with body panels. Bad thing is I have to create/invent mix match parts from everywhere to get the look/performance I want, some of which just don't scale out right. After seeing various build pics here, you guys have me convinced to go wild on the interior, so that will happen. (The problem with the "done" car is the battery runs across the car where the seats are to be and the steering servo jacks up the console location.) Here are a couple more cars to give you the idea of what a class 1 SCORE desert car looks like. They run with the trophy trucks for performance/speed perspective.
Here is a Penhall:

Another Porter:

Old 04-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #10
PapaGriz Yo

Those other cars are plain looking in my opinion.
Detail it out like the Herbst car and you've got something.

Just kidding really, seems like you have an idea of what you want and it can be done. A good interior will be great, but as you find with the "done" car, it is hard to get placement right and fit a detailed interior.
Like you said, you will need to kitbash. I go to the local Hobbytown and just go through all the racks of parts looking for things that might be useful.

Here are a couple epic RC trophy truck and buggy builds that I find inspirational:

Old 04-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #11
RCC Addict

No light bars during the daytime, pit crews put them on at dusk so nothing gets damaged by anything on the course. Otherwise I have to invent a little actuator that will pop them up like the real deal for those who leave them on the car. Cycons truck is nice for sure. Herbst rig is a truggy- buggy body on a mild trophy truck, no offense, but those don't do anything for me. My problem is I've had too much exposure to the 1:1 world, and the things that I find as detail or difficulty in duplicating just aren't what the rest of the "scale" world necessarily sees. Trailing arm cars- How many custom builds have been done this way? I haven't seen any because it is a PITA! 1:1 guys dig the "done" car, just as it is, they are more interested in how it works than the fine details which is the purpose for this thread. Teach me what the rest of the world is seeing as important in doing a scaled build.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Right out the wrapper…

Well ya gotta build it
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
PapaGriz Yo

Fair enough.
I do believe "scaler" guys will be plenty impressed by your custom suspension. It's just impossible to see from the pics though.

The Beast is a really good example of a balance between scale and functionality. Have you seen it?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Who built the blue rail ? Do you have a link to it ?
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Here's one: I think it's a Apachi C1 body on a SC8 looks really cool

Old 04-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #16
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Who built the blue rail ? Do you have a link to it ?
I don't Dev. I've only ever been able to find this Flikr account with the pics.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/otaka0706/7725916262/
Old 04-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Grizzy don't you have a kinda custom short course buggy?
Old 04-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #18
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1800 View Post
Grizzy don't you have a kinda custom short course buggy?
Nope. All I have for fast stuff is a mini desert truck, a couple Pedes, and my trophy truck Slash. Oh, are you talking about the Slash?
Old 04-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Yes if I remember it's kinda cool looking. I know not really a desert buggy, but kinda
Old 04-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I had a project I built named "project mayheem" but all the pics got screwed up.

I see if I can dig some up.

To what extent do you scale "details"??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Details About "Jenny Craig" by Coleworx Tommy R General Scale Talk 6 09-17-2010 09:26 PM