Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: hilux 4x4x4-door

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
Oppan Gangnam Style

Default hilux 4x4x4-door

well, i decided that it was time for another project and since i am on a budget, i called in some assistance from a few fellow nor-cal guys. ther were some deals made, some trades made and some favors called. the results were some extra parts and i hope enough to complete my most difficult project to date. since i got rid of all my land cruiser projects and you all like my scale tan 'yota, i thought i'd attempt to top it but of course it'd be with another 'yota. i am using my last two spare bruiser bodies for this one. one of them was pretty beat so i hacked it to pieces and glued, filled and sanded like a mad man. still need to finish filling and shaping the roof, fill in the recess between the side doors where the cab vents were and complete the window channels for the rear door windows and maybe redo the rear of the cab. comments on the rear window louvers please, i'm on the fence on this part. this is my first attempt at redoing a hard body and i have to say it's much easier than i expected. onto the pics!

shortened bed

full body and bed mockup.

rear window louvre, not sure i can remove it now since i glued it in ths morning (3:00am) before i realized i might not like it.

this thing will be on a 13.0" wheel base. i could recut the bed and take out another 1/4" which would be more to scale but this way was easier.
stay tuned!

edit: i know the door handle recess should span the side from handle to handle and the rear of the cab behind the doors should be shortened a bit but i really don't want to mess with it. close enough to the real thing for me.

Last edited by chino63; 02-04-2007 at 09:52 PM.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looks cool I like the old crew cabs.
madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Sinking with the ship

Damn Dean, this is going to be awesome. I have only scene one other build like this over the years and that was by Brusier builder (Forrest) but his was only an extended cab if memory serves me right. Your looking like a natural with that body work you are doing there. Keep up the good work.

O and I like the louver or however the hell you spell it I actually have the rear window on my one mountaineer with the louver over it

-MIke
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #4
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser
Damn Dean, this is going to be awesome. I have only scene one other build like this over the years and that was by Brusier builder (Forrest) but his was only an extended cab if memory serves me right. Your looking like a natural with that body work you are doing there. Keep up the good work.

O and I like the louver or however the hell you spell it I actually have the rear window on my one mountaineer with the louver over it

-MIke
thanks, i used to do body work on 1:1's but i always hated it. that's why i became a mechanic, not that it's any better. well what else do you do when you hate/suck at school!
i tried to remove the rear cab wall, no dice. i guess it's staying.

i have always wanted one of these since i saw them in saudi arabia back in the early 80's. used by the oil companies for service work on the oil pipelines, pump stations, etc.

Last edited by chino63; 02-04-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63
thanks, i used to do body work on 1:1's but i always hated it. that's why i became a mechanic, not that it's any better. well what else do you do when you hate/suck at school!
i tried to remove the rear cab wall, no dice. i guess it's staying.

i have always wanted one of these since i saw them in saudi arabia back in the early 80's. used by the oil companies for service work on the oil pipelines, pump stations, etc.
Whats funny is that you can drive that exact truck in the game 1nsane.. I hate to bring it up since there are like 8000 threads on it but check it out here http://www.insaneheat.com/insane/Vehicledl.asp?ID=403 Only difference is they did a cap on it.

I hate doing body work too...it burns me out for some reason... and I hear ya on the mechanic thing...did 3 years at a yota dealership..now I want to become a police officer and make bank like my parents

Keep up the good work on the 4 door
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
Oppan Gangnam Style

nice. i could never figure out how to play any of those online games, i'm a computer retard. looks cool though.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Another chino special... Looks like an awesome start Dean! Gotta give Microgoats Scout a good run for its money.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #8
Im Brandon

Looks killer man! Let me know if there is anything I can help with. Looks like you have it under control!
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

NICE! an arb style bullbar front bumper, snorkel,highlift tires and a few jerry cans......yea
miniwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
Official Scale Nazi

Looks great! Can't wait to see it done.
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #11

great idea i cant wait to see it done. i will be watching this biuld very close.
kongmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 AM   #12
Oppan Gangnam Style

thanks guys, i'd be done with the roof by now if the putty would hurry up and dry. i should have used a good two part filler instead.:-(
Old 02-05-2007, 12:09 AM   #13
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikster
Another chino special... Looks like an awesome start Dean! Gotta give Microgoats Scout a good run for its money.
no way, goats scout wins hands down. that thing was made from scratch, mine is just glued together. he's the man in my book!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:12 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Aww... Building a 1st Gen 4-door. Like my buddy Ben's good 'ol '82 from a few years ago....

Keep up the killer work!!
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:21 AM   #15
Oppan Gangnam Style

WOW! that's sick! i was thinking about doing the same to my '83. my mental images of how to do the body are almost exactly like what your buddy did. thanks for reconfirming my thoughts!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:17 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Are you gonna make a plastic "baggie" for the pass fr. window?
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:24 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Cool build, about time someone came with a 4 door hi lux build , only thing is, i'am almost pretty sure the bed on the 4 dr trucks ia a little shorter, let me get some pics and i will post them later.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Where was I when this got posted up? Nice Dean.....speechless.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default 4 door

looks sweet good work keep it comming
madscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up

I was wondering how you were going to top that tan Yota. This one's got some sweet potential

Leave the louver in there, it looks great. In fact, I might have to copy it on my Bruiser build (coming soon).

It won't be that hard to make the channel for the door handles. You've gone this far, might as well make it 100%.

Hella sweet. Can't wait to see how it turns out
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote