Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2015 Scale Nats Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #881
Quarry Creeper

Default re: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2012 NWSC Rebuild 49" IROKS(Paint and interior updates pg53)

Just skimmed through your build. Very amazing.
Bronco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #882
I wanna be Dave

Default re: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2012 NWSC Rebuild 49" IROKS(Paint and interior updates pg53)

Better get this old guy done......looks like Guido will be competing in another TTC. Build it strong, this is going to be the toughest one yet!
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #883
RCC Addict

I never thought it could happen, but Guido is going to be more badass Please tell me you plan on incorporating the coil springs with the new axles! Can't wait for more updates!
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #884
PapaGriz Yo

Spent the weekend making inner/outer axle tubes, link/shock mounts, coil spring mounts, and prototyping the axle truss parts out of styrene. The new axles will be about 1 1/8" wider than the AX10 axles. I hope to get on the lathe at work tonight and open up the axle tube ends for the bearings. Then I can start welding.

Thanks for the good words guys. Guido will still have the coil spring suspension. I thought about running the Wraith axles full width but the pumpkin interfered with the coil springs so that's why I have to make a centered pumpkin axle. Plus the cool factor.

I'm hoping Guido will be tough enough Tim. I'm sure your courses will be evil. The only part I wonder about are the XR-10 universals and if I should get Vanquish VVD's or 300HD's. Money is the big factor there though. Everything else has proven to be reliable.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 07-30-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #885
RCC Addict

I don't know many people who have had problems with xr10 shafts. I run them in my wheely king and they work well. Glad to see u back at it and keeping what made this truck unique and not just going with the flow. :thumbup:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #886
RCC Addict

Remember the Suzuki I had last summer? It had xr shafts and I couldn't break them even on 4s with that ridiculous tekin motor
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #887
I wanna be Dave

Just spent the last 2 hrs reading the 45 pages. Great build and much updates. Like the axle tube Idea. Should work out well!
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #888
PapaGriz Yo

Thanks for the info guys. I feel better about them now. I didn't realize you never had a problem with the shafts Casey. Great to hear.

Thanks mgputer, it should look good. Hopefully as good as Carter Fab's Titan60's.

I worked too late to do any work in the machine shop yesterday. So after dinner I started some styrene work on the tool box to hide the battery. Unfortunately I couldn't find my Tenax so all I have is a bunch of cut up styrene.

Also, I drove Heather's Tahoe to work today and left my axle parts in the truck so no machining tonight either. I'll post pics when I have something tangible.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #889
Old guy

You need the number 44 on that Bronco.
Back in the Calvery days, they would go catch wild Broncos and the ones they couldn't break, they would brand a 44 on them so the next time they went to get Broncos they wouldn't get the ones with the 44 brand on them.

Yours looks like an wild Bronco to me.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #890
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
You need the number 44 on that Bronco.
Back in the Calvery days, they would go catch wild Broncos and the ones they couldn't break, they would brand a 44 on them so the next time they went to get Broncos they wouldn't get the ones with the 44 brand on them.

Yours looks like an wild Bronco to me.
That is a bad ass story Ricky, I've never heard that before. I think I will incorporate the 44 into the paint. Thanks man.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #891
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
That is a bad ass story Ricky, I've never heard that before. I think I will incorporate the 44 into the paint. Thanks man.

heheh, me too, thanks for the info man.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #892
Old guy

Quote:
I just learn this myself, I was asking Russ hogan what the 44 was on his Bronco, then he told me about it. So I went home and put it on my Hogan build.

I thought it was cool too.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #893
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
I just learn this myself, I was asking Russ hogan what the 44 was on his Bronco, then he told me about it. So I went home and put it on my Hogan build.

I thought it was cool too.
Nice. You really did some nice work on the Hogan Bronco build Ricky.

I am going to have rips in the paint this year and thought I could have the 44 being exposed in the rips.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #894
Old guy

Quote:
Nice. You really did some nice work on the Hogan Bronco build Ricky.

I am going to have rips in the paint this year and thought I could have the 44 being exposed in the rips.
Thanks, Hogan rig has been fun to build, I going to show it to him soon.

That will be bad ass in the rip, that will make people wonder about it too.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #895
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Also, I drove Heather's Tahoe to work today and left my axle parts in the truck so no machining tonight either. I'll post pics when I have something tangible.
Dang, I like what you doing with the axles! Giving me ideas to make hybrid axle.. wraith center chunk with custom tubes and G-made portals outters.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #896
Metal shaper

Axles are looking good. Just wandering what you're gonna do about the larger diameter of the c hubs compared to the smaller tubes you plan on running. The transition between the 2. I turned down the diameter of the lockouts on my rear Titan and I'm running .625 tubes on it and the lockouts are still larger. I'm running .500 tubes on the rears of the Ultimate 9s and the BlackRock 60s but they use special lockouts that are the same diameter. The fronts will still get the .625 tubes due to the large diameter of the c hubs though.
Thanks for the above mentioned compliments as well.

Carter Fab & Machine: Hand Made Customs

Last edited by CarterFab; 08-01-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Cuz I type before I read. DOH!!
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #897
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Dang, I like what you doing with the axles! Giving me ideas to make hybrid axle.. wraith center chunk with custom tubes and G-made portals outters.
That would be a sweet setup Eric.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterFab View Post
Axles are looking good. Just wandering what you're gonna do about the larger diameter of the c hubs compared to the smaller tubes you plan on running. The transition between the 2. I turned down the diameter of the lockouts on my rear Titan and I'm running .625 tubes on it and the lockouts are still larger. I'm running .500 tubes on the rears of the Ultimate 9s and the BlackRock 60s but they use special lockouts that are the same diameter. The fronts will still get the .625 tubes due to the large diameter of the c hubs though.
Thanks for the above mentioned compliments as well.

Looking back I prolly should have started with a solid .625" rod and put it on a lathe. However, machining means having to stay at work late or come in on a weekend. I don't like to do either so I tend to try and work with what I can while at home.
Right now my plan is to come up with some shims to make the Chubs fit tight to the .500" tubes but those will be really thin. I may end up boring out the Vanquish Chubs to remove the splines so the spacer can be thicker. I'm still in the winging it phase right now. I usually like to build a prototype, learn what would have worked better, then build it the better way.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #898
Metal shaper

.530 is what you are shooting for on the OD if you leave the splines. That's only gonna be a .015 wall thickness so I would probably bore the splines out and give yourself some meat. Then make a bushing that will press into the C hubs. The only thing I don't like about doing the front axles, or steering axles, without splines, is losing the ability to clock the hubs. If you like me though you will probably be setting them and leaving put. I just always run a splined tube for customers in that situation cuz you never know.
If you haven't checked yet I would also try and find some smaller OD bearings than the standard 5x11. That is also going to leave a thin wall, even though it gets reinforced a bit when the c hub bolts on.

CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #899
20K Club

Quote:
If you haven't checked yet I would also try and find some smaller OD bearings than the standard 5x11. That is also going to leave a thin wall, even though it gets reinforced a bit when the c hub bolts on.
I would definitely stay with the 5x11. Just going down to a 5x10 bearing you cut the load handling about in half These heavy scale rigs already EAT bearings under big power. I believe a 5x11 will hold about 80+ lbs and a 5x10 is in the 40-50lb range. I would have to double check my numbers though, was just talking with VP about this yesterday in reference to the EXO knuckles. Axial dropped down to a 5x10 on the front side I believe.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #900
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
.530 is what you are shooting for on the OD if you leave the splines. That's only gonna be a .015 wall thickness so I would probably bore the splines out and give yourself some meat. Then make a bushing that will press into the C hubs. The only thing I don't like about doing the front axles, or steering axles, without splines, is losing the ability to clock the hubs. If you like me though you will probably be setting them and leaving put. I just always run a splined tube for customers in that situation cuz you never know.

Yeah, I have not had adjustable caster Chubs on Guido for a while. I don't think it's that important because once they are set I won't change it. I'll prolly just make new axles in a year or two anyway.

Great idea on the bearings , I checked Tower Hobbies and Acer makes a 5x10x4 bearing. That would only require removing .014" from the tube wall, leaving me with about .053" wall thickness. A 5x8x4 bearing is too small.

Tags
bronco, guido, holmes hobbies, irok, rc crawler, scale, top truck challenge, ttc, vanquish, wraith axles

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-scale-rigs/70328-guido-scale-ttc-bronco-2015-scale-nats-updates.html
Posted By For Type Date
Staffware´s Brownie wird KOH Bronco - Seite 4 - Axial Wraith 2,2" - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 01-20-2012 01:57 AM
Axial 2010 MSD Scale Nationals - Página 2 - TwistedAndes This thread Refback 10-10-2011 01:41 PM
Staffware´s Brownie wird KOH Bronco - Seite 4 - Axial Wraith 2,2" - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 10-10-2011 01:08 PM

Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2015 Scale Nats Updates - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OMG... 2012 Scale Nats TTC teaser, just a few days late toyofast Scale Videos! 10 11-14-2015 08:10 PM
RC4WD SCALE JAMBOREE QUÉBEC 2015 The biggest Scale event in Canada danbillyboo Competitions 26 10-04-2015 09:54 PM
PinchFlat’s MSD Scale Nats TTC Entry - Sami Buggy PinchFlat 1.9 Scale Rigs 127 05-09-2011 10:57 PM