Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2015 Scale Nats Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #961
No idea what I'm doing

Default re: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2012 NWSC Rebuild 49" IROKS(Paint and interior updates pg53)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
.005" is shim stock. I've tried to work with that stuff before but it's so flimsy.
So are you saying that you like the .016" or you want something thinner, but yet thicker than .005"?

This is .010":

Aluminum Sheet Craft Metal: All Sizes FAST SHIPPING
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #962
PapaGriz Yo

Default re: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2012 NWSC Rebuild 49" IROKS(Paint and interior updates pg53)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Hobby lobby sells it in rolls, I believe it is .050". I have two of them at home. Used it to make body panels with when forming over a buck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Have you looked into craft foils? You might try a place like Michael's or Hobby Lobby:

Aluminum Craft Foil for Embossing & tooling : All Sizes & FAST SHIPPING

edit* Dang, Harley beat me to it!!
It just hit me. I was wanting to skin my lexan body panels in aluminum but the .016" is too thick. That .005" would be perfect to glue to the lexan and give me the look of aluminum body panels.
Thanks for the brain kickstart guys.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #963
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
So are you saying that you like the .016" or you want something thinner, but yet thicker than .005"?

This is .010":

Aluminum Sheet Craft Metal: All Sizes FAST SHIPPING
I'm perfectly happy with .016" for things like roof panels, floor panels, and the dash panels. It's strong enough to be structural but is easy to cut and shape.
I'm not sure why everyone is telling me to use something different to be honest.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #964
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
I checked Tower, onlinemetals, and Mcmaster, nobody shows anything thinner than the .016" sheet I am using from the hardware store. You guys are smokin crack.
Quote:
I'm not sure why everyone is telling me to use something different to be honest.
From the post above, I thought you were looking for something thinner.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #965
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Nope, people were just suggesting a thinner material. I guess because it took me a few tries to get the dash panels made right.

Just the same, the discussion found a solution to a different problem with the body panels. Nothing like a good discussion/brainstorming session to get the brain working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Konceptz View Post
Think of it this way Guido is like a boy that is growing, changing and getting stronger as he gets older......

Rob
Exactamundo!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #966
I wanna be Dave

Just such an epic build, more so over the years. It's a testament to your skills Chris that you've been able to evolve Guido around so many different set-ups and still make it work and look great. I think you'll have as good a chance as any for concourse. Guido is a fan favourite. That, plus we all know you'll end up doing work and get Guido where you want it. Who needs sleep?
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #967
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
That's what I thought too.......smoked too much CRACK I guess

Anyhoo, let's address that drill bit walk then. How about one of these...Roper Whitney punch. I love mine!
Name:  0012_049.JPG
Views: 1386
Size:  112.4 KB
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #968
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
I think you'll have as good a chance as any for concourse. Guido is a fan favourite. That, plus we all know you'll end up doing work and get Guido where you want it. Who needs sleep?
Thanks Chris.
This interior is a good example, rebuilding doesn't net me any more scale points. I just couldn't stop myself from redoing it. Sleep is overrated, although as I get older the all-nighters take more of a toll on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
That's what I thought too.......smoked too much CRACK I guess

Anyhoo, let's address that drill bit walk then. How about one of these...Roper Whitney punch. I love mine!
Attachment 206010

Hey, we've got one like that here at work..........I'll need to be borrowing it. Great idea.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #969
I wanna be Dave

Flanger and hole punch combo - love that tool.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #970

thats one hell of a rig you got there bro nice to see Guido getting back in action love the whole build like to see this rig in TTC you came along ways on this build. like the lights set up in the back wheels and everything else keep up the good work bro.
1baddcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #971
PapaGriz Yo

Well, the last couple weeks have been a nightmare. Some problems came up at work and I've been working late, including some 16 hour days, been trying to make it to some of Cody's football practices, had some dirt I had to move at the house. Basically I've had no time to work on anything.

So I finally got some time this weekend and went in to the shop at work to do some work on the axles.

Set up the tubes in the mill to fit the 5x10 bearings in the end of the tube. A big thanks goes out to Juan (C*H*U*D) for his help setting up the program to do this.

Made some spacers for the knuckles.

Made the tapped holes for the knuckles.

Rotated the part 90 degrees and drilled a hole for the set screw. This will keep the knuckle from twisting since I don't have splines. The knuckle is tapped for an M3 setscrew.

Then I worked on the sheetmetal for the transmission hump/center console.

Having the right tools makes things so much better.

Sunday I made a jig to weld my link/shock mounting brackets on properly. I spaced them wider than the AX10 axles but narrower than the Wraith axles. I set the caster at 12 degrees instead of the 18 degrees like Wraith axles and 10.5 degrees like the AX10 axles. I can adjust it later if needed.

Then I spent all day Sunday fighting steering, trackbar, and winch mounting. I'm having a really hard time fitting everything at the ride height I want with any uptravel.
If I put the steering box inside the frame rail the winch doesn't fit and I have zero uptravel so I moved it to the outside of the frame. I may need to make a new bellcrank arm to get full steering but I won't know for sure until I figure out how to fit the trackbar in there.

I made a new steering box with bearings since the old one caused major steering issues with the slop in it. I will prolly have to come up with something stronger than the brass sleeve over the brakeline. Sorry, I didn't notice the blurry pic.

Front axle under the chassis. I'm trying to set Guido up with only uptravel in the shocks because I think the handling will be more predicable that way. I've always set it up with some droop before. I may have to go back to partial droop when the trackbar goes in. We will see.

I'm loving the width of the axles and the look so far.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 08-27-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #972
Rock Crawler

That looks awesome and huge all at once
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #973
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lxmorepower View Post
That looks awesome and huge all at once
The tires look huge but they actually scale out to 49" on Guido.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #974
Rock Crawler

They look really wide what wheels and foams you running with the iroks
Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #975
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
They look really wide what wheels and foams you running with the iroks
The wheels are RPP Special Edition scale wheels from a few years ago. I think they are 1.5" wide, if I remember correctly. The foams are the stock foams with a slice of another foam to stiffen up the outer sidewall.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #976
Rock Crawler

Nice i heard stock rc4wd foams are way stiff without trimming but may not be a problem being on a heavier rig like yours. You should check out my bug buggie build thread ive got a 1 off bug build im building but only if you want im always looking for coments from people and some of scale greats like you.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #977
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Nice i heard stock rc4wd foams are way stiff without trimming but may not be a problem being on a heavier rig like yours. You should check out my bug buggie build thread ive got a 1 off bug build im building but only if you want im always looking for coments from people and some of scale greats like you.
Yeah, they seem pretty stiff but if Guido ends up at 12 lbs again I need the sidewall support. Past experience has shown that soft memory foams don't work well under Guido. I will plan for some options and hopefully have time for testing before NWSC.

Thanks, I'll check out your thread.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #978
www.team3sixrc.com

Wow, all that stuff to do and you certainly made a dent.
That juan guy is sime good people too.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #979
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Wow, all that stuff to do and you certainly made a dent.
That juan guy is sime good people too.
Thanks Norm. Just getting the front axle under there was a big step. Hopefully I can nail down the front suspension and get cruising on the fab work, the planning is so time consuming.

Yes, Juan is a good egg.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #980
www.team3sixrc.com

Yup yup, the planning sucks because as your well aware of. Plans dont go without a hitch.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bronco, guido, holmes hobbies, irok, rc crawler, scale, top truck challenge, ttc, vanquish, wraith axles

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-scale-rigs/70328-guido-scale-ttc-bronco-2015-scale-nats-updates.html
Posted By For Type Date
Staffware´s Brownie wird KOH Bronco - Seite 4 - Axial Wraith 2,2" - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 01-20-2012 01:57 AM
Axial 2010 MSD Scale Nationals - Página 2 - TwistedAndes This thread Refback 10-10-2011 01:41 PM
Staffware´s Brownie wird KOH Bronco - Seite 4 - Axial Wraith 2,2" - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 10-10-2011 01:08 PM

Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2015 Scale Nats Updates - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OMG... 2012 Scale Nats TTC teaser, just a few days late toyofast Scale Videos! 10 11-14-2015 08:10 PM
RC4WD SCALE JAMBOREE QUÉBEC 2015 The biggest Scale event in Canada danbillyboo Competitions 26 10-04-2015 09:54 PM
PinchFlat’s MSD Scale Nats TTC Entry - Sami Buggy PinchFlat 1.9 Scale Rigs 127 05-09-2011 10:57 PM