Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2015 Scale Nats Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 02:41 AM   #821
Pebble Pounder

congratz on the best overall 2010 (and the years before too) ... YOU TOTALLY DESERVE IT!

I totally respect your creation and dedication.

I just finished reading the whole 41 pages .. took me 2 days of my office work .. mesmerized by your creation.

thanks for sharing. hope to see you in person and the Guido together. All the best.

Other than I saved all the pictures here to my laptop so i can watch them many times, I also would like to quote back what u said back few pages back,

"My son spent most of the day on Sunday with me in the garage so

my progress was slowed, but I showed him about grinding, welding

and cutting. We had a lot of fun together and he is not so scared

of the tools in the shop. He asked me if the sparks from the dremel

hurt and I said "No. Put your hand there and feel them." He did and

was laughing because it tickled. Good times. "

I am a family man and I feel the emotion during this moment. I have 3 boys and i did the same to my elder son age 6 ... just go ahead and try the drill ... really REALLY good time ...

all the best and keep us updated
JonehRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #822
Pebble Pounder

So i am convinced that you either retired this AMAZING monument, or it burned to the ground.
Because I havent seen any updates, what gives man?
Nick Slemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #823
I wanna be Dave

How do you water proof this winch?

sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #824
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Bumping this to the top for no reason other than it's Guido

Actually, I was looking for ideas on pitman arms on a future build since I love rigs where the axles get shoved out and the shocks leaned back. Anyways, Guido came up in my search, so hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea for steering set-up .

One question with the steering, do you have any issues with getting full turn radius out of the super 300's with this set-up (i.e. turning radius isn't limited by the steering set-up)?

What is Guido doing nowadays...?
Steal away Chris.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconrockkrawler View Post
Well I found this while searching for builds and I must say that is an awesome machine.
If i remember right through all those pages you mentioned you had trouble when going through deep water. Since I am a noob don't laugh to hard but i had an idea to maybe help with that. You could add a cb antennae on the rear quarterpanel and use it to hide your receiver antennae, if your receiver has that option. Maybe use a small wd40 spray tube painted silver to hide the wire out of the fuel tank so it looks like a fuel line then using more and paint to match the frame so it hides it as it goes back along the bed. Make a 90 mount and use a shortened tube sticking up and paint it. You could keep the wire inside hidden. If you didn't want it external you could put it on the rear bumper or in the bed. Just a thought. I wish i had your imagination for building this is a very clean and top notch rig you have there.
Thanks for the compliments and ideas. The only problem is that the 2.4Ghz atnenna wires are so short I can't route them very far. Plus I was trying to avoid an antennae sticking out of the fuel cell. There's a lot of money inside that fuel cell and a leak from a hole scares me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy View Post
its just cool seeing these together.
I like that shot too.
Our belly clearance is near the same but I have the drop belly pan so Guido has to sit taller overall. Had to do it though to fit the Parma hemi under the hood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonehRC View Post
congratz on the best overall 2010 (and the years before too) ... YOU TOTALLY DESERVE IT!

I totally respect your creation and dedication.

I just finished reading the whole 41 pages .. took me 2 days of my office work .. mesmerized by your creation.

thanks for sharing. hope to see you in person and the Guido together. All the best.

Other than I saved all the pictures here to my laptop so i can watch them many times, I also would like to quote back what u said back few pages back,

"My son spent most of the day on Sunday with me in the garage so

my progress was slowed, but I showed him about grinding, welding

and cutting. We had a lot of fun together and he is not so scared

of the tools in the shop. He asked me if the sparks from the dremel

hurt and I said "No. Put your hand there and feel them." He did and

was laughing because it tickled. Good times. "

I am a family man and I feel the emotion during this moment. I have 3 boys and i did the same to my elder son age 6 ... just go ahead and try the drill ... really REALLY good time ...

all the best and keep us updated
Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. Glad to hear that you know the feeling of sharing that experience with your kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Slemp View Post
So i am convinced that you either retired this AMAZING monument, or it burned to the ground.
Because I havent seen any updates, what gives man?
I thought about burning it..... Nah. Not really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
How do you water proof this winch?

I waterproofed the winch like I do my servos......I don't do anything.
Waterproof the servo control board but the winch itself is fine.

Thanks for keeping the vision alive guys. I have been taking a break to attend to family and home stuff. It's amazing how time flies and now I find myself in Spring and I have not done anything. I didn't think I was going to go to Montana but now I find that I may be able to so I need to get to work.

No major reworking this year, just some tweaking.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #825
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I thought about burning it..... Nah. Not really.

No major reworking this year, just some tweaking.
Yes !!!! Keep Guido Alive!!!!!

always my favorite forever
Old 03-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #826
RCC Addict

Can you make a fuel filler neck desert rig style that you could run the rx wire thtough? Be easy to keep sealed, and it would and one more little touch
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #827
PapaGriz Yo

Default 2nd Place at the Lutz TTC event!!!!

Well, we had a TTC event this past Sunday. I have not had time to get ready for it but at the last minute I decided to take Guido instead of Pepe.

What this meant was I had to cut the melted plastic spur gear adapter off the tranny input shaft, it was melted to the threads and had engulfed the lock nut.
After that I had to replace the front gears because they were dragging. Not sure why but I'll try to figure it out later.
Then I found that one of my 2 cell LiPos had puffed up so I disposed of it. That spurred me to relocate the battery to just behind the driver. It was a pain having the batteries under the floor because it was impossible to change them on a trail ride and ever since the switch to LiPo I couldn't get them to charge in series or parallel.
Moving the battery meant having to get rid of the aluminum fuel cell to make room. That meant finding a new place for the ESC and RX's.

So I put the ESC in an old TMaxx RX box so that it still looked somewhat like a fuel cell. The BR XL fit in there perfect. Then I moved the receivers and BEC to a Radio Shack project box in the back. I ran the antennae wires up the dual antennae tubes so that I don't have to worry about getting stranded in the water again.

I decided to pull the 7T Puller out of Pepe and run it with a 3S LiPo. The tranny gearing is still the 32 pitch 54/9 combo on a Traxxas slipper clutch.

I also decided to try the Proline Swampers. These tires are great!!! They look more like the 47" LTB's I want and they work awesome. I don't know if they would be the difference between winning or not with Rok Lox, it's pretty close overall. I think the SX2's dig harder in the mud and grip oh so slightly better in the rock when they are wet. The shorter sidewall of the SX2's does allow a softer foam and I ran the stock memory foams.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To make a long story short: Guido is back and kicking some ass! We got 2nd place at the TTC; winning the truck pull and the mud bog.

The weight was heavy and the ground was loose for the truck pull so it proved to be a difficult event, but the Holmes Hobbies power came through as Guido bitch slapped that sled! Guido went the full 25 ft like a bat out of hell so I left it pinned for an extra 5ft or so until the rear tires of the sled locked up. Man that was fun!

I am fighting some slop in the steering bellcrank that makes turning a pain in the ass. I was doing poorly in the rock crawl event, I'd had two rollovers due to my 50 point turns and the pinion gear set screw came loose so I called it after about 3 gates and got dead last. I went to the truck and put some blue Loctite on the set screw. A better finish here would have really put me in the hunt for 1st place overall.

The frame twister was going well until the first set of logs where I clipped a marker for a 30 sec penalty. Continuing on I managed to find a submerged rock right before the second set of logs and got high centered. It took a bit of throttle work to get free but I was able to finish with a mid pack score.

The tank trap was going pretty well until the exit. It was a soft muddy bank coming out of the creek and kris had chewed the heck out of it so I decided to try a route around a big rock and sneak in front of one of the finish gates before driving between the gates. It work well except I clipped the flag for a 30 second penalty. After the finish I drove back in the river and tried the straight shot up the chewed up bank. Guido blasted right out of the creek and across the finish. Bad choice on my part but another decent finish.

Finally was the mud bog. This was in the middle of the creek and the bottom was real solid so it turned into a drag race through 4" of water. Guido blasted through the 25ft course in 3 seconds to win the event.

I have decided to sacrifice a bit of the scale look for functionality by having the battery exposed, but being able to change batteries during a comp has been worth it.

Some great pics from Rogue and 666.
One of the truck pull
One of the rock crawl
5 of the frame twister
one of the tank trap
one of the mud bog
and one of turtle trying not to fall in the stinky black mud.
Attached Images

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 03-28-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #828
I wanna be Dave

Nice pics, truck is still looking great.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #829
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
Nice pics, truck is still looking great.
Thanks Justin!

I just want to add that although I am sorry Tim sold his EB truggy, I am glad that I will get to see it more often now and it's still doing what it was meant to do.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #830
Gettin’ back on the horse

Glad you and Guido made it yesterday had a blast hanging with everyone. You better be ready for the next one, because I am right on your heels.

I got 32 pitch gears and a motor relocation going on this week.

Edit:

No kidding Chris, this is bronco country now.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #831
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
this is bronco country now.
That is so cool

Glad so see Guido in the Mud where he belongs
Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #832
Quarry Creeper

glad to see guido's still alive and lookin great
speed ghilliesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #833
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Glad you and Guido made it yesterday had a blast hanging with everyone. You better be ready for the next one, because I am right on your heels.

I got 32 pitch gears and a motor relocation going on this week.

Edit:

No kidding Chris, this is bronco country now.
Hell yeah, I had a blast and can't wait for the next one. Looking forward to yours being 100%, I'll have rear steer next time.

Bronco country it is!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #834
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'll have rear steer next time.
Its on now!
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #835
RCC Addict

Nice to see two classic broncos in the mud and congrats on the finish..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #836
I wanna be Dave

Looking good there Chris, congrats on the second place finish
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #837
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks Justin!

I just want to add that although I am sorry Tim sold his EB truggy, I am glad that I will get to see it more often now and it's still doing what it was meant to do.
That's about what it looked like at the last Railroad TTC
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #838
Oppan Gangnam Style

Way to go Guido!! Awesome pics, looks like Guido is ready to dominate!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #839
I wanna be Dave

Cool! Glad to see Guido back in action, I was worried it was destined for shelf queen status !
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #840
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
That is so cool

Glad so see Guido in the Mud where he belongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed ghilliesniper View Post
glad to see guido's still alive and lookin great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
Its on now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
Nice to see two classic broncos in the mud and congrats on the finish..
Quote:
Originally Posted by exesivefire View Post
Looking good there Chris, congrats on the second place finish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser View Post
That's about what it looked like at the last Railroad TTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Racer View Post
Great pictures!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Way to go Guido!! Awesome pics, looks like Guido is ready to dominate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Cool! Glad to see Guido back in action, I was worried it was destined for shelf queen status !
Thanks guys!
It was great to get out and drive Guido again and have him work so well. I was really disappointed after the Scale Nats TTC and thought about shelving him.

I am inspired again after this weekend so Guido will still be on TTC duty for a while. I'm going to get the rear steer on there and work on some more scale things like headers, exhaust, Optima batteries, and the snorkel intake.

Tags
bronco, guido, holmes hobbies, irok, rc crawler, scale, top truck challenge, ttc, vanquish, wraith axles

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-scale-rigs/70328-guido-scale-ttc-bronco-2015-scale-nats-updates.html
Posted By For Type Date
Staffware´s Brownie wird KOH Bronco - Seite 4 - Axial Wraith 2,2" - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 01-20-2012 01:57 AM
Axial 2010 MSD Scale Nationals - Página 2 - TwistedAndes This thread Refback 10-10-2011 01:41 PM
Staffware´s Brownie wird KOH Bronco - Seite 4 - Axial Wraith 2,2" - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 10-10-2011 01:08 PM

Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2015 Scale Nats Updates - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OMG... 2012 Scale Nats TTC teaser, just a few days late toyofast Scale Videos! 10 11-14-2015 08:10 PM
RC4WD SCALE JAMBOREE QUÉBEC 2015 The biggest Scale event in Canada danbillyboo Competitions 26 10-04-2015 09:54 PM
PinchFlat’s MSD Scale Nats TTC Entry - Sami Buggy PinchFlat 1.9 Scale Rigs 127 05-09-2011 10:57 PM