Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Old Hi Lifts don't die...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Old Hi Lifts don't die...

They get sold to someone else to fund another project, and that guy proceeds to rebuild it in his taste. Some of you may remember this hi lift as Chip Cross showed it in the 1.9 archive. I bought it some time last year from him and don't regret it for a minute. The build was clean Chip is an awsome guy to deal with and I got a really good deal. Thatbeing said it was not quite right...
The tranny would bind horribly between gears and lock up, so I rebuilt the tranny and it worked like a charm over the next months, but I never was fond of the 3 speed. another thing that bothered me was the stock motor (Lame) so I Hopped it up with a 17 turn Mod motor I had lying around. and some meaty 2.2 swamp dawgs. I proceeded to to torch the 3 speed on a local scale run.... About this time I decided that that F350 body is just tooooo pretty to trash so I got something else...but you will find out about that later in the rebuild. After a Rough mockup and a call with muddaber7 that had me sending my new body off to aide a little fab work. I decided to fix the last of my frustrations and personalize the Hi Lift to MY TASTE and something at least a little different.

Hope you all enjoy and please be gentle this is my first build thread.
Attached Images

Last edited by carcrafter; 11-10-2007 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Wanted to not have this thread moved because of truck being shown in old 1.9 set up
carcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Cool And now for something completely different...

Got some work done on the Hilift project today.

First I hated the cheap phillips screws so I replaced as many as I could with good stainless hex head screwsand used nynuts to mount the shock mounts to the chassis as I have had them loosen up on me a few times. Also this project is going to be red, so I went for the custom look (for when it is flipped over) so I painted the rails bright red it looked pretty good after the frame was all together I think.

As you already know I hated the 3 speed and decided on a not so common solution. I had a rebuilt Wheely King tranny with new gears and the 93 tooth spur gear. With the 23 tooth pinion I will get a 4.04 Final drive ratio. I figure that should be pretty even for a trail truck. To pull off the swap I had to trim the chassis to clear the spur I used the lower mid chassis mount on thetranny, and the first hole after the front springs rear mount in the frame. I also decided to create new lower mounts to keep it from swaying, and running true front to back. I also figure the slight angle they run at will work as small rock sliders if I become hung up in the center. *Warning* this tranny hangs a little low and I would only run it on a lifted 1.9 or in my case 2.2s. Enough talk here are the pics. Hope you all like what I have done so far.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Hey thanks for the post.. after seeing how you have the WK trans mounted I am thinking tha I might have to get a different frame to fit the AX-10 tranny into frame as it is a laydown style trans.. your build looks good tho!
Good Luck!
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

are u gonna keep the leaf springs or 3 or 4 link
gigercrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default Suspension

Hey,

Sticking with leafs. because all my other stuff is 4 linked and I want this truck to stand out even in my own collection. I am going to use the steel springs till they twist or break then I plan to go to a Composite spring at that point.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys sorry no new pics, as some of you know I am dealing with cancer and I just didn't quite feel fup to it after chemo. I swear I will do some updates tomorrow!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrafter View Post
Hey guys sorry no new pics, as some of you know I am dealing with cancer and I just didn't quite feel fup to it after chemo. I swear I will do some updates tomorrow!
wow man that sucks bad, but the build is looking great so far and I wish the best of luck to you

keep fighting it bro :-(
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default Lets do this thing!

Alright guys I am full of energy today, and my wife exiled me to the computer room, so I think it is about time to update the build! Been busy, I finished making sure the tranny is running true. As you may have noticed the small links I installed make the tranny be adjustible front to back so I can experiment with different driveline angles. Some people have thought the wheely king Tranny hangs way low but I actually discovered it sits slightly higher then the 3 speed. I was even able to use the small plastic crossmember under the wheely king tranny without much mod. (Now if I can find the aluminum skidplate I took off months ago and put on a shelf I will be golden.) I also cleaned and rebuilt my hi lifts axles with fresh lube (I use antisieze because it was designed for water resistance by the navy so it can handle a little water from mud bogging) I then bent the front ear on the factory leafs. This seemed to soften the truck slightly and also lengthened my wheelbase slightly. About then my wife surprised me with a present. She came across this wicked gear reduction unit out of a plane thinking I could use it for a non working winch...a mini T motor and a little fab work later and I have a winch that has double the motor of a servo setup and a 3 to one ratio reduction...It pulls pretty hard My plan now is to use a mini speed control on channel 3 and it will have a variable speed too! Oh and because I am going for a mean overbuilt bogger/trail truck look I fabbed up this motor plate for the Muscle Machine Blower route. I made sure it is sunk below the hood a little so it looks more scale. I also hooked up the header pipes so the truck will look like she has open pipes. Alright, lemme show you the pics
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default winch pics

Having probs with the winch pics but Lets try it again
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

That winch looks pretty burly. Is 3:1 enough reduction?

The open pipes are pretty sweet, too, but I think the blower might be a little over the top.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #11
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was wondering what happened to that rig glad to see its still around
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Default Yes it lives

Yeah Chip it's around, it has had different life since it got to wisconsin wrapped in that stylish beach towel...the chassis can never be called a shelf queen now...That body is still too pretty to bash.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrafter View Post
wrapped in that stylish beach towel
My wife has griped at me about that ever since but it was well protected
Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

First lemme say thanks for checking my build out goat. First I have loved alot of your stuff, and second I know you have plenty of projects. As far as your concerns. I am going to try to compinsate for the fast gearing with that torquey motor, and the throttle control I will get from the ESC setup I am trying. If it is too bad I am pretty sure I can get a smaller pinion and gear it down a little more 3 to one 2.5 and 2.0 were my stock options and I am not feeling up to a 45 minute drive to my hobby shop. On the blower, I guess to each his own. All I can say is with the plate hieght I have and the taper of the body I have planned it is not too bad. I was really pretty set on the blower being low slung under the hood... when it is put together you see the pulley but the base of the blower is out of sight.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Well if you wanna hear the funny part, my new wife was griping about me sending it's new body to Mudaubber7 in Missouri wrapped in the same towel. IT's Tradition I suppose
Old 11-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Is there something you all aren't
tellin' me about this towel?
muddauber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Default The Happy towel

Ummmm I dunno the wifes seem to get attached to it... but I swear if it was sticky it was the cheap tape I used to wrap the hard body
Old 11-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #18
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

a sticky hard what ?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:35 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

muddauber7 Does killer work you will be very pleased He made my front and rear bumpers and rock sliders on my hybrid Grade A++++++++ craftsmanship
draven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Default This is not over yet...

Hey all,

This build is still happening, and I am going to be showing signs of life on it soon. Muddauber7 still has my new body and is custom fabbing some wicked sounding skidplate/bumpers for me (Seriously I haven't seen my stuff yet and just from the 2 hour phone conversation we had swapping Ideas about what I want he is the man.) When I get the body back I will unveil it and begin to layout the electronics which have become much more complicated then expected, but you can expect the winch to work and I am going to have some LED lights layed out too. this bad boy is going to have 2 batteries even! Good times are coming. and I have 2 more projects going, so there may be even a surprise or 2 in January from the carcrafter camp!