Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Axial / Traxxas Driveshaft Interchange Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Axial / Traxxas Driveshaft Interchange Info

I had a heck of a time tring to find this info and eventually got tired of looking, so I just rounded up the parts and figured it out myself. I'm sure some of you guys already know this - but I didn't and just wanted to share the info in a thread that people can search and find.

Steel / Metal / Yoke

'Axial' Metal Driveshaft Yoke (1/pkg) #AX30380 $21.99

'Traxxas' Drive Yokes Steel (2/pkg) #4628X $17.99

These steel yokes for the Traxxas Stampede/Rustler are basically identical and totally interchangeable with the Axial AX-10 Scorpion! But the Traxxas parts are half the price.

DriveShaft / Driveline

'Axial' Drive Shaft Set (1/pkg) #AX80011 #9.29

'Traxxas' Long Truck Half Shafts H&BE (2/Pkg) #1951 $5.79

'Traxxas' Long Truck 1/2 Shaft Pro Pak (6/Pkg) #1953 $9.29

These Driveshafts for the Traxxas Stampede/Rustler are basically identical and totally interchangeable with the Axial AX-10 Scorpion! But the Traxxas parts are half the price.

The yoke dimensions are the same AND the cross pin dimensions of the u-joint are the same. So you can install Axial Driveshafts onto Traxxas Yokes OR you can install Traxxas Driveshafts onto Axial Yokes.

Another thing I found out is that you can slide the Axial Male driveshaft into the Traxxas Female Driveshaft. Its a bit loose and not perfect, but it does fit! However the Traxxas Female will NOT fit the a Axial Male driveshaft.

Anyways what all this means is that if you want to homebrew a driveshaft DIG setup for a Axial - you can save some $$$ by purchasing the Traxxas Stampede / Rustler driveshafts and install them on your OEM Axial yokes! and you don't have to use Traxxas Steel Yokes.

Note - Traxxas E-maxx / T-mass Parts are larger, so they wil not work.

Last edited by 4RnrRick; 04-30-2008 at 10:29 AM.
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #2

This is very useful info. I need new yokes and was blown away by the $tiff price$ for Axial parts.
sedanman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Nice.

Plus the Traxxas shafts are much more durable.

If you find yourself not liking that the Traxxas shafts are shorter it is very easy to make your own extended shafts. If you run your truck long you might not like the fit of the Traxxas shaft.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You may also want to check out Jason's recent thread on installing Maxx shafts. More work, but an improvement in strength.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RnrRick View Post
I had a heck of a time tring to find this info and eventually got tired of looking, so I just rounded up the parts and figured it out myself. I'm sure some of you guys already know this - but I didn't and just wanted to share the info in a thread that people can search and find.

Steel / Metal / Yoke

'Axial' Metal Driveshaft Yoke (1/pkg) #AX30380 $21.99

'Traxxas' Drive Yokes Steel (2/pkg) #4628X $17.99

These steel yokes for the Traxxas Stampede/Rustler are basically identical and totally interchangeable with the Axial AX-10 Scorpion! But the Traxxas parts are half the price.

DriveShaft / Driveline

'Axial' Drive Shaft Set (1/pkg) #AX80011 #9.29

'Traxxas' Long Truck Half Shafts H&BE (2/Pkg) #1951 $5.79

'Traxxas' Long Truck 1/2 Shaft Pro Pak (6/Pkg) #1953 $9.29

These Driveshafts for the Traxxas Stampede/Rustler are basically identical and totally interchangeable with the Axial AX-10 Scorpion! But the Traxxas parts are half the price.

The yoke dimensions are the same AND the cross pin dimensions of the u-joint are the same. So you can install Axial Driveshafts onto Traxxas Yokes OR you can install Traxxas Driveshafts onto Axial Yokes.

Another thing I found out is that you can slide the Axial Male driveshaft into the Traxxas Female Driveshaft. Its a bit loose and not perfect, but it does fit! However the Traxxas Female will NOT fit the a Axial Male driveshaft.

Anyways what all this means is that if you want to homebrew a driveshaft DIG setup for a Axial - you can save some $$$ by purchasing the Traxxas Stampede / Rustler driveshafts and install them on your OEM Axial yokes! and you don't have to use Traxxas Steel Yokes.

Note - Traxxas E-maxx / T-mass Parts are larger, so they wil not work.
good info, but all i got was red X's in the box......................bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

No idea on the red boxes... the pictures use-to work.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The Traxxas parts should be used as a complete switch over ... Meaning, use Traxxas yokes with Traxxas driveshafts. For best results, do not mix with Axial parts.
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #8

I agree with Jake for best fit don"t mix.
Rockhabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH Racing View Post
The Traxxas parts should be used as a complete switch over ... Meaning, use Traxxas yokes with Traxxas driveshafts. For best results, do not mix with Axial parts.
Now granted I don't have hundreds of hours on my crawler with 'mismatched parts' - but I see no reason to shell out $40 for (4) traxxas steel yokes to "match" the traxxas shafts. Especially when the traxxas drivelines are (6) for $10 - that means I can wear out 24 drivelines before it would be benifitual based on cost. and if you breaking axial / pede drivelines, then you need bigger shafts anyways, so this parts interchange is pointless.

Anyways - I don't agree with what your saying. The key is to find the best parts (strength vs price) for the application whoever the manufacture.

Not sure if you trying to be a "purist" to a particluar brand - but your only wasting your money if you are trying to stick to one brand. Kinda like a Jeep with only Jeep parts will not typically be as strong as a Jeep with Jeep/Chevy/ Ford/Dana/etc... parts.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Its not about " purist" or "price" its about what works, most older axial yolks have slightly shorter cross pins than the traxxas ones and the plastic of the traxxas shafts is much stronger than the axials. If you mix an match you may be leaving a week point somewhere, shure shafts are cheap to replace but you cant replace lost points in a comp due to failure.
Ax-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Jato shafts will also fit the Axial or Traxxas yokes.But the Pede shafts are just as good as the Jatos. As far as "mismatching" parts...what about those of us using traxxas yokes on Tamiya or Axial axles? The parts are "mismatched". If it works I don't care what brand name is on it. I have been running Pede shafts on the Axial yokes with no issues. If it becomes an issue,then I will put Maxx shafts on it like I did my TLT. Just my $.02
jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax-hole View Post
...most older axial yolks have slightly shorter cross pins than the traxxas ones....
How much of a difference? Have you measured?

Honesty, I didn't break out the calipiers when I was comparing the parts.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax-hole View Post
....shure shafts are cheap to replace but you cant replace lost points in a comp due to failure.
Theres more to life than RC Comps for me.... and I'm not made of money. I know I could use $40 better elsewhere in my life!
Old 05-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
RCC Addict

what happened to the pics?
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I didnt measure them, didnt need too, you could actually see a difference. The axials pin sat a hair below the traxxas shafts ear holes, the traxxas pins sit a hair above the ear holes.

I dont comp alot but I still dont want to have to fix broken parts on the trail either, just sayin that for those of us that want a tough trouble free rig the full traxxas setup is the way to go. I am by no means saying not to mix parts, just that it might not be the best for some of us, to each his own.

The combination of too short a cross pin and the shaft plastic being too soft is why axial came out with those band aid rings.

Last edited by Ax-hole; 05-02-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Ok, so I was curious as to just how much different they are, I measured them and found that the traxxas pins are 1.4mm longer, thats quite a bit. i got my ax in december and I seem to recall someone posting that the newer kits have longer pins. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

The pins on my Axial measure 12.75mm wide or 0.502"
Old 05-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

ok now were talkin, I broke out the calipers and my stock axials are 0.460" so there are 2 different types out there. The traxxas are 0.510" even better but still I agree with you that you should be fine with axial yolks as long as they are the new style.

Good that people can know this: check your pin lenghts if you have a prob with your mix matched drivline.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Thats good to hear that I'm not loosing my mind....They sure looked teh same to me.

'new' pin length on axial yokes = 0.502"
Traxxas pin length on steel yokes = 0.510"

Thats only 0.008" overall or 0.004" each side which is just a hair more than a thickness of the hair on your head! I'm still going to say its not worth $40 to upgrade to traxxas yokes..... (well unless you have the 'old' short axial pins- then maybe.)
Old 05-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I wonder "when" did axial change the pins? maybe kits manufactured "after" they released the drive shaft rings have the longer ones, so kits made after January?

4RnrRick, when did you buy your kit?