Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Mods to your scorpion that you regret

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Mods to your scorpion that you regret

I am fixing to be purchasing a AX10 to fiddle with in my free time and figured I'd ask everyone who has one....

What is something you have done to yours that you didn't like or regret getting for it?

and why?

Parts not up to par? Didn't perform well?
Testykalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Team T1E/VP Driver

Drive Shaft Rings...

They just didn't stop the breakage of driveshafts....but they added some cool green under the rig!!
Uroplatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Novak Rooster Crawler ESC... i shoulda went with a castle product...
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Team T1E/VP Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDEcrawlerguy View Post
Novak Rooster Crawler ESC... i shoulda went with a castle product...

Can I ask why? I love my rooster! just wondering what about it isn't good.
Uroplatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
Nope..

I just bought one today too..... What was so bad about it? Everyone else loves theirs.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

you guys dont have the notorious glitching...

they must have fixed that. I got mine like a few weeks after they were released, and i wasnt impressed
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

A Integy 75T motor and a LRP runner ESC... The motor b/c its so slow barley any wheel speed and the ESC bbecause of he 3 second delay....
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDEcrawlerguy View Post
you guys dont have the notorious glitching...

they must have fixed that. I got mine like a few weeks after they were released, and i wasnt impressed
Mine works bitchen as well. I've used it on an old FM system and now on a DX3R. If I'm not mistaken, I know Novak was letting people send their Roosters in and they were reprogramming them with new software. Might want to give that a try.
AX10 Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
RCC Addict

My Rooster Was Glitchy So Got Tired Of Messin With It And Got A Mamba Max. I Can Programit Myself Now And They Have Great Tech Support.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

i second the driveshaft rings, waste of money!!!! your better off to spend the money to get stronger shafts. also the set screws that came with mine didnt even fit the rings so they were useless.
m3kan1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax22 View Post
A Integy 75T motor and a LRP runner ESC... The motor b/c its so slow barley any wheel speed and the ESC bbecause of he 3 second delay....
I'm running a LRP A.I. Runner Reverse and it has no delay. what model do you have?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #12

Spending way to much money way to quick to have it all!!! Should have played with the kit first and added little things along the way. My one biggest purchase I regret is the Edge chassis, only because I wanted the tube look, but should have went with a comp chassis, as now I'm buying one anyway and the Edge will be hitting the shelf
boilermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

the jr126mg I initialy had for it, there was nothing wrong with the servo, it just didn't have the torque required to turn the wheels at a stand still, this would probably go for the hitec 645mg as well as it is rated at less torque than the jr126mg DON'T GO CHEAP ON YOUR SERVO!
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #14

1. 4 link servo plates reduces the ease of full articulation over the stock 3 link setup. The 3 link setup seems to flex easier to full articulation.
2. a tube chassis, the weight of a steel tube chassis causes a lot of the plastic parts to break, plus mine was poorly made with thin steel for the side suspension plates so my entire frame is warped from all the falls. It's OK, it was only 80 bucks ans did look pretty sweet those 10 hours I used it. I'm going back to twin vert plate setup, gonna try the carbon tvp setup next to bring my weight back down.
3. Proline Moab M3s. Although they are super grippy, their soft rubber provides no sidewall support. I don't have weights in my wheels and the memory foams are not star cut. Still my heavy crawler is always bottoming out the sidewalls so it tends to rollover more and has less height clearance. I'm back to using the stock axial tires because their sidewalls actually hold up weight and their larger diameter gives more clearance. Maybe these work well on a completely stock (light) Scorpion, but they are useless with a rig that has lots of weight.
4. 4WS. I found this does not provide more benefits than drawbacks. It adds weight and makes the rig more unstable when turning on a slope. It made me think twice as hard to execute a line because I had to make sure the rear tires didn't get stuck under an overhang or in a crevice.

After all this money spent, I find the stock AX10 is absolutely amazingly good. It seemed to run better and break less when it was stock. My friend hasn't wasted money on metal parts like me so his is still light and hence has a lower CG and doesn't break as often. I loved my pimped out crawler while it lasted, but I often think about getting another one just to leave stock.

Note: I like my Rooster package although it does have those annoying acceleration glitches for no reason. My friend's does too.

Last edited by takman; 05-18-2008 at 10:34 PM.
takman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #15
Nope..

My Dynamite Tazer. It's by far the biggest piece of shit ESC for crawling I've ever had. That includes LRP Runners and every other OG crawler speedo on the market.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:55 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

moped ESC is a waste of $$. Glitchy POC and it likes to shut down for no reason.
MasterShake44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:07 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

the rooster crawler

castle sidewinder is so much smoother and you can adjust all the throttle and brake curves, as well as everything else
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:32 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

I have the Novak rooster Brushless combo, and it does glitch, should have gotten something else. Will be sending mine back to get reprogrammed. The down time will suck.
trailjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #19
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I'm running a LRP A.I. Runner Reverse and it has no delay. what model do you have?

No reverse delay in the LRP A.I. Runner Series?
What the hell are you smoking
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

the driveshaft rings are a waste just get better shafts
4ws is awsome but it needs to be independant
i have a sidewinder with an integy 11v 35t with a 3s lipo and it's awsome
bluelightning is offline   Reply With Quote