Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Tweakin on my comp rig for BG...updated Slingshot & DNA Dig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Tweakin on my comp rig for BG...updated Slingshot & DNA Dig

In my very limited free time I've decided to make some small changes to my comp rig before BG. Aside from the tuning changes you'll notice the proto CF side plates and the updated DNA Dig unit.

Only complaint thus far on the cf sides is I think they are a bit thin causing them to have a slight amount of flex when in a bind (not even as much as the SE but I still like my rig stout, so we are making some new side plates with a few more layers of CF). The weight difference is the biggest deal on this as I dropped 2.2 ounces from my rig in side plates alone. Once I have the new plates I'll hide my wire and clean it up some.

Till now, I've only ever run my original dig prototype in my comp rig which contained no hard anodized parts, minimal grease, and a cut down shock shaft for my shift rod. This was actually the first time in 3 months of hard play and competition for me to tear my dig down (will post pics shortly of the internals). I'll of course be keeping the original for another buildup since it's done so well for me for so long. You'll notice first off that I relocated my dig servo (the production digs still include the mount for those of you who dont want to custom make your own...and dont stare too hard at the dig case servo mount mounting holes location as this case was the setup part that I decided to use for myself instead of throw out). This is the first time for me to relocate the dig servo on my comp rig and so far I like it, but then again mine has always worked fine in the other location. A few things you'll like about the new production dig I think: programs have been tweaked to clean up the internal parts a bit more making things smoother right from the first use, dual flats are machined on the dig outdrive/front spool so you can run 2 set screws per, and the case is now black anodized. I bolted this unit up and on my rig with no tweaks to any part of the dig unit, and it is buttery smooth 360 degrees right outta the box.

On my suspension setup, I run mine abnormally stiff with low articulation. The last pic is actually near max flex, which I've been competing running around 30 degrees with good success. Shocks have 80 weight Associated oil, "special" pistons, and Losi red springs up front and Losi blacks out back...stiff! GC is currently set at 2.6" but I plan to pull out my limiters bumping it up to 2.8" or so.

Feel free to post up any comments/questions...I'll find some time later to check back in.

Don
DNA
Attached Images

Last edited by billet works; 07-04-2008 at 09:52 AM.
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #2

Looks good Don. I need to talk to you about something. What is the the best way to contact you?
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
Looks good Don. I need to talk to you about something. What is the the best way to contact you?
Sending PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

black looks good. i will be getting one of these for a new build.

Last edited by calcat430d; 07-04-2008 at 10:09 AM.
calcat430d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hey Man,
I've got a question for you, could you send me a PM?
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I like the Black dig. Chassis looks good too. Can't wait to see it at BG.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The black dig looks the goods as does the chassis, great work Don.
I would be interested to see how the carbon holds up after hitting the rocks, how are you treating the edges?
genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by genki View Post
The black dig looks the goods as does the chassis, great work Don.
I would be interested to see how the carbon holds up after hitting the rocks, how are you treating the edges?
The edges get resealed with resin. I'm bashin this one without treating them just to see how she holds up...so far so good.

Thanks guys...keep 'em comin.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looks great...I was planning a similar Dig servo mount to low my CoG...just too lazy...your idea looks good and I'll go about setting it that way on my new chassis.

Looks great...and I still love my original shipment Dig...works great and holding up great.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
MODERHATER™

Looking good! Is the Sling shot chassis still available in Aluminum and Delrin?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Curious when the black dig unit will be available.
Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Looking good! Is the Sling shot chassis still available in Aluminum and Delrin?
Thanks! I have 40 Slingshots going out Monday in both aluminum and delrin! Very much still available and still being produced.

The black dig has already started shipping and once more hardware is received Monday many more are on their way out. You'll find them in the next week or so at TCS, RCP, RPP, Jakes, Tammies, Stormer, Genki (Japan), and HSRC (Australia). Coyote Hobbies will have the first of this batch on Monday.

On the servo mount option I used, all I did was relocate it. I used the servo mounting screws that are included in the kit and also used the same linkage, just stretched it a bit. The only thing I added was an additional 4-40 lock nut between the shift collar and the linkage rod end
Old 07-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Default Alternate mount for other chassis'

Looks Fabulous!!

Here is how I mounted my servo low ad behind the dig unit!! I fel this will fit in many other chassis as an alternative to the chassis mounted servo's, keeps all torsional load on the unit itself.

I ran it this way at the WCCC for 10 grueling courses in 2 days without one failure or missed shift/engaugment. In fact almos worked too well, as when I got nervous and "bumped" the 3rd channel switch it shifted very "nicely" and cost me dearly, but that is another story. Anyway here the pics:

Hope I'm not Threadjacking!!! If so I will delete this post and move it!!
The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Dogman View Post
Shoot no buddy, I'm diggin it for sure!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I may have been dense and missed it in the thread, but any idea if/when the carbon fiber Slingshot would go out? I've been eyeballing one, and would love a lighter option. I'd get the delrin one, but I'm concerned about it breaking in our cold colorado winters. Nothing like crawling when its 15 degrees out....
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
I may have been dense and missed it in the thread, but any idea if/when the carbon fiber Slingshot would go out? I've been eyeballing one, and would love a lighter option. I'd get the delrin one, but I'm concerned about it breaking in our cold colorado winters. Nothing like crawling when its 15 degrees out....

Don is still trying to kill the CF slingshot. The resin that we are using in the CF is not the polyester or vinylester resin that arrow shafts and boats are made from. This is a aircraft grade epoxy and CF that is extremely tough. It is not effected by temps that you might be crawling in. Also the epoxy does not get brittle in extreme colds or heat. I am talking -45 to 350 plus degrees. The CF is sealed all the way through. So it will be very difficult if not impossible to split the CF layers before destroying the rig first.
210solomon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Looks good Don. Hope you are ready for BG's and our comp this coming up weekend

I need to come by and check out that new dig and the CF chassis sometime
Lankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Don the CF sides look great as does the new black dig unit. Glad to have you back in the swing of things again. Oh and take a day and go rip the skies up!!!!

Jason
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps.com View Post
Don the CF sides look great as does the new black dig unit. Glad to have you back in the swing of things again. Oh and take a day and go rip the skies up!!!!

Jason
Yeah, my nephews have been pushin me to get back in the air...just seems there is no time for anything but work. One day soon hopefully. I'm sure my old lipos are toast by now...will have to get a hold of a few packs from you to get back up! Thanks for the comments. You have a package en route btw...officially.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

looks great ! did you fab that servo bracket ? if so, nice job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Dogman View Post
Looks Fabulous!!

Here is how I mounted my servo low ad behind the dig unit!! I fel this will fit in many other chassis as an alternative to the chassis mounted servo's, keeps all torsional load on the unit itself.

I ran it this way at the WCCC for 10 grueling courses in 2 days without one failure or missed shift/engaugment. In fact almos worked too well, as when I got nervous and "bumped" the 3rd channel switch it shifted very "nicely" and cost me dearly, but that is another story. Anyway here the pics:

ROCKCAD is offline   Reply With Quote