Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Black Widow with R2D - any pics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Black Widow with R2D - any pics?

I tried searching, but every post with the words "black", "widow" and "R2D" come up....it's a lot of posts!

I know that I saw it done before and that somebody had good info on mounting the servo.

I would like to check it out as I have ordered the chassis.

I currently have my own custom mount bolting the servo to the front of the R2d but would like to see what others have done.

Thanks!
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Black Widow Crew...anyone there?

I'll have to check out that thread again I guess!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Got the chassis.

No way in hell I can mount the R2d with a servo in front with a brushed motor!

Wish one of da' Black Wido' Crew would have taken the time to help a brother out and give him a heads up.

Grrrrr...
Old 05-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've never had an R2D so I don't know for sure, but can't you just drill your own holes on the skid to make it fit?
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I had an R2D for about two days, thought I would put it on my Black Widow, didn't happen. The R2D is too wide for that chassis, not to mention the combined length of the tranny and motor could be too long to fit (didn't get that far when I realized it was too wide). I suppose you could tap a new set of holes on the bottom of the R2D and maybe find a motor with a shorter can, but I was happy with my homemade dig to begin with and decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Good luck though.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Drilling new holes is no problem as I had made a new skid for the stocker and also used it on the Edge.

I thought it would be a quick swap to the new chassis since I made my own servo mount on the trans and everything was like a single unit...drill 4 holes and bolt it in.

At least that's what I thought!

I will make it work, but now it's going to take some more work then I will be back to the drawing board on the servo mount and linkage again.

Like tcabner stated, only 2 of the stock R2D holes will fit onto the skid when I position it where I think it should be, so either I drill and tap 2 new holes or make a sort of cradle bracket that bolts to the skid and then bolt the R2D in with the side mounting holes.

I was actually thinking that I could use the side holes for mounting some sort of bracket for the body mounts though...unless I incorporate everything together which is going to take a little longer.

Anyone think it would be ok with just 3 bolts holding it in? That way I'd only have to drill / tap 1 new hole which would most likely be bigger than 3mm since I just snapped that tap anyway.