Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: building an ax10, some basic questions from a newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #1

Default building an ax10, some basic questions from a newbie

I want to start to build an ax10 but don't know where to start, I am pretty sure that I want to go with the bastard Jr. as a chassis but don't know where to go from there. I have been looking at the Integy alloy kit as my suspension, drive lines etc... With that said I have two questions, one is this a pretty good kit to go with, and two if not what would be some comparable kits? Thanks,
Bigz
bigz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

if it was me, i would get a RTR and any chassis....play with the RTR to get a feel for it, then swap/upgrade everything over.
matt ellerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I would stay away from an alloy kit. The money is better spent on other things. The stock parts work well for the most part... and you can replace stuff as you need to / want to as you gain experience. You'll get better products that way.

Chassis selection has a lot to do with personal preference. Ten different people will tell you 10 different things.

Good luck
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz57 View Post
I want to start to build an ax10 but don't know where to start, I am pretty sure that I want to go with the bastard Jr. as a chassis but don't know where to go from there. I have been looking at the Integy alloy kit as my suspension, drive lines etc... With that said I have two questions, one is this a pretty good kit to go with, and two if not what would be some comparable kits? Thanks,
Bigz
If you want to run a Bastard Jr. chassis,you can either click RCP Crawlers in my signature or look in the RCP section in the vendors area on RCC. I've seen a few run and they definitely work very well.

Personally,I'd steer clear of the Integy stuff. For shocks,I'd look at the Traxxas big bores,Losi Crawler shocks or the Gmade Zero's. Any of those 3 shocks will work well.

Drivelines,I'd just run Pede Shafts and Traxxas steel yokes. The Pede shafts are hard to beat. Easy to work with and fairly stout. RCP Crawlers also has a ton of link options for the Axial rigs. Buy them by the piece or they have kits as well.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

only buy integy if you want to spend even more money only to replace that part agin!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #6

True,
And to answer your question, the ax10 is a great kit to go with! There is lot's of aftermarket support if you are not into fabbing things yourself.
ArcticRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

yup axial is a great starting kit i love mine i bash and comp it and it does verry well compared to bergs and such and owns the creeper
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
Relaxed !

true,very true i dove in head first and found myself goin back to stock stuff and i'm still searchin for stock stuff to keep gettin better, in my opinion like said before stick with rtr or go artr and add the stuff that makes sense,I;e motor,susp.tire/wheel pkg,weight. i found on my bender that losi shocks are good ,but on the rtr the 120mm from ckrc are sick and i mean sick but see what we mean by its all in your preferance
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

1. Integy=bad.

2. what kind of budget are you looking at? Things can get very expensive really quick with out a plan.

3. What is your end goal? A comp capable rig?, Just a basher? Answering questions 2+3 will help people help you!
crawlincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlincircles View Post
1. Integy=bad.

2. what kind of budget are you looking at? Things can get very expensive really quick with out a plan.

3. What is your end goal? A comp capable rig?, Just a basher? Answering questions 2+3 will help people help you!
I dont know were you are getting your info about integy but i have two rigs one with integy and one with axiel alumunum parts and i will tell you integy parts are a lot better quality and last a lot longer and also cheeper.
brushlessemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I get my info from personal experience. I am also far from the only one who feels that way.

I am glad you are happy with your Integy parts. You are in the small minority. If you do have a problem with them try and see if you can get some customer service. Good luck

I did not see in your sig but are you a Integy driver? if so that would explain your feelings about them.

Also, good way to get this thread off topic and take away from the other things I said to bigz57

Last edited by crawlincircles; 05-02-2009 at 09:46 AM.
crawlincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #12

Like several people have said, start with what comes in the box, have fun with it, and slowly switch things out one by one as needed.
When you upgrade parts one by one, you get a better feel of how every part influences the trucks capabilities, and you will have a better insight into RC crawling.
To answer your second question, being that this is posted in the AX10 subforum, you will not find to many people recommending other comparable rock crawlers. We prefer our AX10's
ArcticRider is offline   Reply With Quote