Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX-10 kit vs RTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #1

Default AX-10 kit vs RTR

I used to be into RC back in 92 or so. I didn't race, just "ran around". So, I still have all my gear. (Kyosho Raider Pro, Futaba AM radio, servo, ESC, 1500 NiCAD, Hobbico AC/DC timer charger. It's all low end stuff, but it works)

Anyway, the whole point of my anecdote was to introduce another one. Last week I saw the neighbour kid out with a crappy RC car. So, I go to get mine all ready to go, thinking it would be fun to race around with him.(I probably hadn't used my car in years; my wife didn't even know I had one.) Of course, by the time I had found some AAs for the transmitter and charged the battery, they were done. I had lots of fun for the few minutes the battery lasted for.

I had so much fun that I went online to see what was up in the world of RC. There were many changes. I was fascinating by this new segment of RC Rock Crawling. I looked on Youtube and saw a few videos.

Now, I'm thinking about getting one of my one. I have all this old, yet still working gear. Here's my question:

What's the difference between the RTR and the kit? Obviously, the RTR does come with the ESC, Servo, and motor. Which should I get, keeping in mind I already have workable gear? I'm not afraid of building the kit, and I also don't want to spend too much money.

thanks, ej
ejej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

The rtr does come with all plastic links and nuts and bolts. SO the kit is more durable imo. I would go with neither and get the ARTR because it comes with rear lockouts, waaaay better tires, good lockers, better body and it's already built. Then you throw your own battery,esc,servo,motor,tx&rx, and its ready to go.
rc4x4crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I agree. Since you have a radio, servo and ESC, get the ARTR, then add a 55-turn motor for $20, since the one in your Raider won't work well in a crawler. The ARTR is pre-built, has a pre-painted body, and has upgraded aluminum parts that the RTR doesn't have. The kit is a complete build-it-yourself affair, and lacks some of the nicer parts that the ARTR includes, such as the bent lower links, rear axle lockouts, better tires, and stronger locked differentials.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I am with him. I got the ARTR about a month ago. All you need is a motor, servo, ESC, radio gear, and battery. Good luck and have fun!
bnoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #5

So this is the ARTR, then, correct?

I see what you people mean about better parts. Unfortunately, the Canadian website I listed earlier wants a large premium for the ARTR versus the kit.

I realise that many of the American websites would probably ship to Canada, but the problem is that most of them probably ship via courier, instead of USPS. Then, I'd have to pay duty in addition to the large "brokerage" fee.

I'll have to think about what I can do.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The ARTR is by far the best value out there. With the kit or the RTR you will have to replace some parts like the tires and foams, things like that, before you even really can start crawling. The ARTR truly is ready to start crawling with, and has a lot of the most important first upgrades already installed, like the heavy duty lockers, rear straight axle, and hammer tires with memory foams.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #7

I do live fairly near to Bellingham, WA. (1 hr drive) Perhaps a hobby store there sells the ARTR. Then I'd only have to pay duty.

hmm
Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesTheMan View Post
The ARTR truly is ready to start crawling with, and has a lot of the most important first upgrades already installed, like the heavy duty lockers, rear straight axle, and hammer tires with memory foams.
Ah. Yeah, I probably wouldn't want to spend more money right away, just ask for stuff for Christmas.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #9

Hmm, this looks like a possibility.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLORx4 View Post
then add a 55-turn motor for $20, since the one in your Raider won't work well in a crawler.
What do you mean? I'm sure Kyosho specced a really good motor for the Raider kit. Actually, I do remember I upgraded the gearbox with the bearing kit, and I think I was considering getting a real motor.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #11

I just got the Axial ARTR, being completely new to Rock Crawling. I am having loads of fun with it, and it's really amazing "out of the box". I have done some upgrades to mine, but generally it's sweet just as it is. You can do many things to improve its performance without spending much or anything at all as well - Like lowering the center of gravity, drilling holes and adding weights to the wheels and cutting the body even more. All which can be done without spending anything, really.

Id without doubt recommend the ARTR. I bet youd be really happy with it.
supah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by supah View Post
I just got the Axial ARTR, being completely new to Rock Crawling.
I was astonished at how many new segments there are in RC offroad alone. I remember when 1/10 stadium trucks were new. Now there are people converting 1/8 buggies into electric.

I just thought this rock crawling looked fascinating. I'm unlikely to get into competing(never say never) so rock crawling is something I can do locally, on my schedule, perhaps even in the backyard!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-AX1...4-p-16938.html

That is the best place to get it! I got mine from there. They ship super fast!
DLE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLE88 View Post

The price seems to be good, so I sent in a shipping request. Of course, it's now pretty much long weekend, but oh well.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejej View Post
What do you mean? I'm sure Kyosho specced a really good motor for the Raider kit. Actually, I do remember I upgraded the gearbox with the bearing kit, and I think I was considering getting a real motor.
To answer your question ej, the motor in your Raider is probably like a 20T or 27T motor, it has too much rpm for it to be a good motor for crawling. Remember crawling isn't about going pedal to the metal all the time. You'll need the finese of a slow turning motor to get over some obstacles. Do you really want to be driving full tilt over a rock and then come tumbling down the other end because you went too fast over the rock the first time?

Remember this mantra for crawling: Speed kills!
zoojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLE88 View Post

Well, I ordered today! Normal USPS Priority Mail International, so I would assume two weeks.

I'll bump this again when I get it.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #17
DMC
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejej View Post
I just thought this rock crawling looked fascinating. I'm unlikely to get into competing(never say never) so rock crawling is something I can do locally, on my schedule, perhaps even in the backyard!
Depending where you are in the LM there is tons of places and loads of folks that are into RC Rock Crawling. lots on the shore, ridge, Coquitlam, mission and way out in Hope/beyond. Not limited in the LM like the 1:1 crowd is (unfortunate for me).

My wife bought the RTR for my b-day and I can tell you It lasted a hole 40 minutes before I had it torn into peices due to breakage and just plain modificationia (a real medical illness ). The ARTR is the best value. Get it built and we'll see you on the rocks.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote