Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: thundertech/mips vs. pede driveshafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default thundertech/mips vs. pede driveshafts

hey guys, i'm puttin a dna dig in my ax10/slingshot and am wondering what would be the best driveshafts to go with- pedes or thundertechs/mip?

i know that the thundertech/mips would be stronger, but will that cause other things to break instead since there is no give w/ metal as opposed to plastic/pede shafts?

if i go thundertech/mips, are there other things i should upgrade to prevent breaking?

am i just better off going with pedes because they're durable enuf yet still have some give in the drivetrain so i'm not continuously breaking other parts?

any advice you can give me on what i should do w/ my drivetrain and shafts is greatly appreciated... and yes, i did a search and didnt find a comparison thread between the 2 options. thanks!
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I'd seriously suggest the mip driveshafts. I don't know about anyone else but if you break something behind one of those you are doing something right(nudge nudge wink wink) because they won't break.
celicaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #3

I dont understand building a week link into a system. I do not have that much experience with comps, and bashing on stuff, but from the stuff I have read, one you upgrade the common stuff, things "usually" do not break.

Not saying that things cant be broken, but most have to try very hard to actually break stuff.

I have the MIPs without a dig, and I like them.
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have the same dig and mip shafts. It works fine I even have aluminum wheels each front weighing a pound and the rear each weighing ten oz still no problems.
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I highly suggest the MIPs. I have actaully completly stalled my 35t on 3 cell lipo in a bad bind with the MIPs and the driveshafts held strong and nothing broke! And if your doing comps theyre definitly a plus because a popped driveshaft could cause you to take a repair, which can hurt you sometimes.
BR4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
Pullman Crawler

this is just what i was looking for. i just finished building my new comp rig. when out to do some testing. got to the first rock gave it a little trigger and snapped the stock u joint into two parts.
A_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i am using mips that i shortened and welded for the dna dig( i also did axman2010's) they work great no problems, but i am running brushless(so is axman) and i know we both have stripped spur gears, cant wait for the slipper to show up.
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Gettin’ back on the horse

HUH... I ran pede shafts for two years and never broke one, plus you can get huge packs of them for 10 bucks...
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I ran a 10t cobalt on 3 cell lipo for a while and only broke pede shafts if I went from full forward to full reverse instantly on carpet. That was without a slipper, and yes I never broke one on the trail or during a comp. If your driveshaft angles are reasonable, you shouldn't have problems with pede shafts. Also they're cheap, self lubricating, and if you do break one, there are plenty of spares at practically every hobby shop in the country. Pede shafts don't like extreme angles though, MIPs are probably better for tall rigs (I never ran more than 2 1/2" center clearance with my shafty)
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I've popped plenty of Pede shafts off, plenty of stock Axial shafts too, the Pede's are better than the Axial's it seems but now I run a modified Punisher for my rear shaft (with DNA DIG) and I run a modified MIP in front. I've got a few hours and a few 1st place finishes on the Punisher and MIP with ZERO problems. I recommend the Thundertech MIPs

As for breaking other stuff; I would definitley recommend upgrading to the hardened beveled gears and some sort of good locker I use the Axial 30395 Gears and Freak Stuff Lockers, no complaints.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:33 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsmith512 View Post
i am using mips that i shortened and welded for the dna dig( i also did axman2010's) they work great no problems, but i am running brushless(so is axman) and i know we both have stripped spur gears, cant wait for the slipper to show up.
are you just using the slipper tranny that axial put in the rtr?
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i run a slipper in my ax10 with pede shafts and never had a problem
WheelinKing is offline   Reply With Quote