Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Project Heavy Bastard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Project Heavy Bastard

This is a project I have been working on for a long time now, and have to get it done before I move this weekend. Here is thestory behind the project. I got a RTR AX-10 about a year ago (maybe 1.5 years ago). I have been messing with this, and figuring out things to do. First I started off with the blackjack chassis and made some new bottom links, and made new top links as well. The ride got a bit more flex, but was out of control forthe most part. I then went to some big bores, and tried some new link setups. I finally got it working better, but it would not hook up, so on go some claws. I then was able toscore some Panthers from Doug for free... Now the truck is sitting with a 65t motor, stock electrical, and it can crawl kinda well... BUT i am seeing all these tubers all over the place, and I kinda want one, but i can'trationalize spending the $100-$200 for just the chassis, so what does a cheap bastard like me do??? I decide to make my own. Here is what I did:

I have no brazing tools, but Ido have a monster welder, so I got some solid 3/16" tubing and went to work. I bent up the first chassis out of coathangers, until it was perfect, and then I went towork copying it. As I was working on the tubing,new ideas kept popping into my head. As they would pop in, I would build it. So I am now sitting on a rig that weighs in at about 200lbs... SEriously it does not weigh in at 200lbs,but it is heavy as sin. Before I could not keep the front end on the ground, but now i don't think this is going to be a problem. I have the whole rig just about done, so pics will be up this week.

Dima
Flatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I can't wait to see it. I love building custom stuff.
dj23gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
RCC Addict

hopefully you kept all the weight low if you want it to work very well at all. i personally like a heavy rig but i think if your trying to make it the best crawler like as in a "comp" crawler tuber isnt the way to go. imho

for scale looks thoe they sure are sweet!

lets see some pics.

Last edited by akguanja; 12-08-2008 at 03:44 PM.
akguanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #4

I just asked the homemade chassis questinon in the newb section. Do you have any pics or measurements? Thanks
spacecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by akguanja View Post
if your trying to make it the best crawler like as in a "comp" crawler tuber isnt the way to go. imho
Why is that?? I run a tuber and have been for over a yr now as my comp rig and place in the top 5-10 90% of the time and there is many guys in our club that run them and have pulled many first with them. I know that each rig has different advantages but to say that a tuber isnt a comp worthy rig...I would have to say your VERY WRONG! I know it is you opinion and thats cool but to tell someone a tuber isnt a comp worthy rig is wrong.
01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

SO POST THEM UP ALREADY!
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

U$edUpH00ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

needs pics
merrillon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01XJ View Post
Why is that?? I run a tuber and have been for over a yr now as my comp rig and place in the top 5-10 90% of the time and there is many guys in our club that run them and have pulled many first with them. I know that each rig has different advantages but to say that a tuber isnt a comp worthy rig...I would have to say your VERY WRONG! I know it is you opinion and thats cool but to tell someone a tuber isnt a comp worthy rig is wrong.
i didnt say they werent comp worthy at all.

but try this draw an imaginary line from top of tire to top of tire on your crawler. anything left ABOVE that line is excess weight im my eyes. unless he builds the tuber with all of his weight(welding) below that line he is going to have to do 2x as much work to get it to work as well as a TVP chassis that everything sets below that line except the body most of the time. Unless you add alot of excess weight and then youll be sacrificeing some vertical lines cause of it.

dont get me wrong ive ran a tuber in our comps in the past and i love them! but when people start stepping up there game then you will be left behind unless youve managed to figure out a way to defeat these problems.

if most of the guys in your club are all running similar rigs/tubers then it will be fine

and thats my 2c

- tre

Last edited by akguanja; 12-08-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

This thread is missing something........ oh yeah pics.
thunder7845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:08 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Here are some pics of the completed project. Once again, I did not take pics as I went along

Let me know what you think

DIma
Old 12-08-2008, 11:21 PM   #12
RCC Addict

looks good man. looks like you kept it pretty low. and HOLY COW @ those beefy links what are they 3/8th's?
full droop?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:32 AM   #13

nice miller
mig or tig welded?
Oogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogie View Post
nice miller
mig or tig welded?
All Mig welded. Gotta add the extra weight where I can. I am scared to weight it, but I will as soon as I get access to a scale. You would think that being a wrestling coach, I woud have scales all over the house... hahahahha

Dima
Old 12-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I like it.... I'll bet it weighs 6lbs.
thunder7845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

head to the grocery store with it. They have tons of scales that or the post office after hours. Thats what I do.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I will weigh it today at practice, and hopefuilly get a chance to try it out this evening after practice.

Dima
Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

At ride height, the belly is sitting at 2 5/8" off the ground. It is not as heavy as I thought. Iwent to a buddy's house, and his berg weighs more than this crawler. I plgged the battery in to try it out last night, and sure enough,the ESC is getting no signal from teh throttle. I have steering control, but no throttle at all.

Dima
Old 12-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #19
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Quote:
Originally Posted by U$edUpH00ker View Post
Is she running a lipo in that copter
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Default tires

What are you running in your tires thay look hard for a heavy truck