Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 Articulation problem...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default AX10 Articulation problem...

With my current set-up, my AX10 will articulate fully but it doesn't want to. I can twist it and turn it smoothly with my hands, but it only flexes about 1/2 of what it's capable of on the rocks. Sometimes applying throttle will accentuate the problem and the front axle will almost totally straighten out on a climb when it should stay flexed and conform to the rock-face. My total weight is 5.5 lbs and I have added 4oz to each back rim and 9oz to each front rim. I have Losi shocks and TCS 4-link plates. I'm wondering if my links or shocks are mounted in positions that make articulation tough. I've studied lots of threads on articulation/squat/droop. Its a bit confusing and my trial and error hasn't gotten me far. Heres a few photos of my set-up. Any feedback would be great! Thanks...

J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

best thing i can say would be to play with it a little. cause you cant really tell.. i have taken my susp. apart about prob like 30 times to get it were i want and it still aint there.. thats not that much help.. but just play with it. i like the way it looks though good job..
REDCORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

It sounds like your springs might be too stiff. The key is to get the suspension soft enough to articulate easily but not so soft that you have a ton of torque flex. and if you cant get it soft enough without torque twist the leave the soft springs and try to preload the rear side spring its torqing to and use some ticker shock oil in all the shocks to slow down the movement of the truck. Also you generally wanna run a little stiffer spring in the rears. Hope that helps.
theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The white springs are losi's soft. check your suspension at full flex to make sure you are getting no contact. I would also sugest moving your shocks to the outside of the chassis and to the furthest point on your axle. this will help with stability and suspension cycle.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Back off on the preload of those springs. I run those same shocks and have the upper collar (your lower) about 3 threads from the top (your bottom).
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Back off on the preload of those springs. I run those same shocks and have the upper collar (your lower) about 3 threads from the top (your bottom).
If he was to back off on the pre-load, would heavier shock oil be needed? And what would be a good start point for oil weight? Thanks
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I run 40wt in my shocks.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I run the losi shocks inverted as well however mine are on the outside of my swx chassis, and I think if you watch close, you will notice binding on the lower shock mounts.
JEracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
I joined the Band!

Springs to tight. Back off that adjuster. Super Soft up front and Medium in the rear. The only shock that should be adjusted is the rear driver side, make it a little stiffer than the rest. If you mount your shocks up right then they wont bind any more.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If you wind off the preload, wont the springs jump out of their seat easily?
jordi555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Zippie ties are like duct tape. I ran one around the collar in the past ant kept everything together.
sickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Maybe try this: with everything mounted on the axles ( wheels, batteries, etc.) lay your rig upside down on a table. Do whatever it takes to just have the tops of the side plates touching the table(spacers, whatever) Your suspension should relax and the axles should move down. Look at how much it moves down, and how fast. It should pretty much bottom out the shocks, and take about 2-4 seconds of time to do it. If it doesn't, you might have binding issues, so check for those. Springs too tight-back off adjusters. More that 4 seconds of time- too heavy oil weight in shocks. From your pics,with a 4-link, you should not have alot of torque twist, and it looks like you are not binding.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all your feedback so far!
I have a longer rod end than stock on the shocks to add some ride height. So it looks like I have the adjusters really tight but there actually is just enough tension to hold the springs in the cups. The only shock with extra tension is the rear driver side. And I have 45wt oil in the shocks.
Also, when it flexes, I checked and no parts touch, links and shocks all move freely...
And, I'm not totally sure what the term "binding" means?
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordi555 View Post
If you wind off the preload, wont the springs jump out of their seat easily?
I havent had any troubles with mine...
Old 02-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #15
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Binding is anything touching something else-shock hitting link, link hitting mount, drive shaft bottoming out etc.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Do you have any wieght in wheels, the wieght helps keep wheels planted on ground. With no wieght the springs can not compress. My front wheel tire combo wieghts 1.33 lbs and rear are .95 lbs per wheel combo. Sorry reread you have wieght just not enough. take and add lead to axle on front about 1lbs and 1 lbs to rear axle and see what this does!
BIGJOEDUCKSLAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

sorry to be off topic, what is it u used to wrap ur wires? its realy nice id liek to use somethng like that on my rig.

thanks
carzlutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

i tried to put my losi shocks on my stock chassis.... but i found out you need a narrower chassis.... try to make it more narrow it will home and try not to have the shocks at an angle. and the other thing is get the upper links closer together at the point of chassis. pm me if you have a question
93'wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

id try soft in da fcront and a lil stiffer in da bak thats the only thing id do
kdizzle122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #20
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Don't wont to step on 93'wranglers toes, but your shock angles are fine. If you look at my SWX build they are almost at the same angle, cuz mine are outside the frame. The wide space upper links keep the axle centered better, especially if your lowers are straight. Now if they were shorter, then it wouldn't be good for you. As I looked at your pictures again, one thing I do see is that those shock nuts are cranked pretty far down(up?) Open those springs up more,(pull-em with your hands to strecth em)

Last edited by gunnar; 02-11-2009 at 12:29 AM.