Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Guide to installing Stampede driveshafts..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #1

Default Guide to installing Stampede driveshafts..

So i decided to install Traxxas Stampede driveshafts today to make my drivetrain a little stouter.

First Off you need two of these from your LHS or order them.

Second i took two female shafts and shaved down one of them about 1/2 an inch.Next i cut the yoke off of a male end and two little pieces off the other male end i used the little piece and put them inside the two female ends to fill in the gap so the bigger male end piece cant by some chance slide out.

Here is a picture of the shaft with the two little pieces in the female ends and the bigger male piece inside the female shaft.

Here is the shaft put together ready to install.

Next i drilled a hole in the output shaft ends and tapped them.

I got a button head screw that is long enough to go through the driveshaft and into the hole in the output shaft but THE SCREW WILL NOT SCREW INTO THE OTHER END OF THE YOKE. So it has to be short enough to not go all the way through to the other side.

Picture with the button head screw installed

Drive shaft installed in the AX10. You will notice that when you take out the yoke of the stock axle shaft how easy it is to bend the yoke ends to get the u-joint out. Then when you install the stock yokes into the stampede shafts you realize how much harder it is to get the u joint of the stock ax10 yoke to go in. Therefore shows how much stronger the stampede yoke is to resisting stripping that the stock AX10 yoke was notorious for.

Last edited by nylintmaxx; 01-26-2009 at 12:58 AM. Reason: mispelled
nylintmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

how strong is the output after you driil it? seems like it would weaken it
mac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
no talent hack

your output is going to break. drilling it makes it super fragile
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:52 AM   #4

The outputs are ckrc chromoly outputs so the shouldent and wont break and they havent so far and im pretty hard on the driveline.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #5

I would not recommend drilling the stock AX10 outputs unless you have some stronger aftermarket output shafts that you can drill.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i have the same shafts but with traxxas steel yokes....what is the purpose of joining the shafts like you did compaired to just the m/f shafts by themselves unless you needed to make them longer...............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #7

the female ends are alot stronger then the male ends the male ends tend to twist and sometimes snap right where they meet the yoke and when they snap i mean they snap clean off.

Last edited by nylintmaxx; 01-26-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

thx ................bob

Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #9

i have a real nice comp crawler and about 6 years ago on my first crawlers i went to traxxas shafts. so on my new comp rig i did not get steel shafts and with r2d holmes crawlmaster 1000k and rovers it rips the shafts right off so i am going to rcp tuesday to get mip's hopefully that fixes it.
TWISTEDBYDESIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

if you can get a hold of some cdw 6mm outputs for the trans. than the strongest reasonable drive shafts are some maxx ones.
all you have to do with them is order cdw outputs. and
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPZX2&P=Z x2
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTB48&P=V x2
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDDS6&P=SM x2
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSP55&P=M x1

the ring gear does take a tiny bit of modification , you have to drill the 4 mounting holes a little wider, but dont drill all the way threw just enough to countersink the mounting screws.
throw it all together , cut the drive lines to the right length which is also a benefit because i cut mine just enough to have the right amount of travel (about half an inch )
so now i only have female shaft under my rig.(stronger and no hangups)

the drivelines are like twice the size and strength of pede ones, you will not break these parts
but not so big they get in the way of links and stuff

just throwing out another option . the pedes work but are still know to break , twist etc.
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

will the steel yokes from the pede work with the t-maxx shafts or do i need bigger yokes.............bob

Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

they dont work with the maxx shafts .
i mean if you already have the steel yokes u might as well stick with the pede yokes as they arer usually strong enough but if your looking to upgrade
the maxx shafts are a great choice. u have a hole for the pin of both the axle side and the trans side.
u get rid of the weak hollow alum outputs on the trans
here is a couple of crap cell phone pics of mine

beefy outputs, kinda can see them

dont mean to rob the thread. srry
Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #13

TWISTEDBTDESIGN you should get some CKRC punisher shafts all steel and wont break. I will proubly end up with the crawlmaster set up as well aventually not sure when yet. The problem is wit the maxx shafts if you use the stock spur gear the yoke of the maxx shaft will rub against it. some people go to a 81 tooth from the stock 87 tooth and that fixes it. Or they grind down the maxx yoke so it doesent hit but that makes the maxx yoke significantly weaker.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #14

Yeah whats up with robbin my post man...Just messin i dont care.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #15

Another thing that might help everyone out a bit.......LAY OFF THE THROTTLE A BIT......When you notice that your binding up dont keep giving it throttle cause something is going to break,bend,tear,or twist. So use some decent judgement when throttling. Theres guys out here who have never had to do anything with the stock axial shafts they have had no problems at all. But then there is some guys out here who break them and twist them left and right and if you watch them closely its all in your throttle finger to much at the wrong time and yes its will BREAK.
My stock axial shafts never had any problems in fact they were just fine i was just bored and wanted to add a little strength insurance to my AX10.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #16

Old pics but good pics truck is different know notice the evx out back thats because i was on the fence about what brushless system to buy so i bought a integy 55t and used an evx i had layin around.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

im not sure if cdw still makes them or not. but the outputs extend past the spur so you can run i think up to a 96t spur without mods to the shaft or yokes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda316 View Post
they dont work with the maxx shafts .
i mean if you already have the steel yokes u might as well stick with the pede yokes as they arer usually strong enough but if your looking to upgrade
the maxx shafts are a great choice. u have a hole for the pin of both the axle side and the trans side.
u get rid of the weak hollow alum outputs on the trans
here is a couple of crap cell phone pics of mine

beefy outputs, kinda can see them

dont mean to rob the thread. srry
How does the extended output work for you, any problems with it ?

Yeah, I know I'm a little late asking

thanks
Firefox is offline   Reply With Quote