Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Steering Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #1

Default Steering Issue

I am having a steering issue, not sure why it is doing it but I will explain. I have Axial Alum knuckles, C's and CVD shafts in the front end. I'm having binding and the only thing I am seeing that is wrong is the knuckle is too tight on the C. Now I have been running this set up for about 6 months and no problems, and it just started all of a sudden. I just thought my servo was going bad, it was glitching and getting stuck at full lock. So I just got a new one and tried to replace it. Well when I was doing that I noticed it was a biotch to turn the knuckle. So I tried the new servo and same problems, it has got to be the knuckle. The plastic bushing the screw goes through seems fine, and the inner C doesn't seem to have any issues. Any ideas why all of sudden it is hard to turn?

And yes I took the front end apart on that side and didn't see anything wrong, and it turns fine when I back the screws off 3/4 of the way.
Bustabizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

there is usually a metal bushing that makes turning smoother in the top of the knuckle when the screw goes threw make sure you have those.
93'wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Are your C's both clocked in the same direction ?? Your C's are made with the caster set so if one C is off in degree from the other it will cause binding.
DORK VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Custom Carbon Fiber

try moving them by hand with no servo attached? does one side feel tighter then the other?

try swapping knuckles on each side, could possibly have a knuckle or C thats bent just enough to cause a bind. also maybe check the CVD, possibly a bent shaft/stud or pin could be doing it.

good luck.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

If it turns fine when you back off on the kingpin screws, its your plastic bushing. They are supposed to be just a hair outside the knuckles, so your screw tightens down on them, not the knuckle. With the knuckle off, install the bushing, and make sure they stick out a little.
jimgavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #6

Well I took the whole front end apart, the bushings are metal by the way. The one side is no issue at all. I switched the knuckles to opposite sides. Ruled out its not the C's. The knuckle bushing can fall out of the good knuckle, the other knuckle I can't get them out at all. So it has to be the bushings being stuck in the knuckles. I can't get them out at all.
Bustabizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

That happens to me when I put too much loctite on my screws. But I bet you over tightened the screws at one point. Time for new bushings.
jimgavey is offline   Reply With Quote