Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Noob to crawler scene

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #1

Default Noob to crawler scene

Well my name is Angel and I'm new to the rc world and happen to have gotten into crawling. I come from the hobby of drag racing so naturally I know nothing about crawling. Luckily I stumbled upon this wonderful site which has guided me so far. Here are some pics of my RTR rig. Mods include 55t Axial motor, pen spring shock mod with spacer and spring on top of shock as well. It sits pretty low after the shock mod and lost clearance.My previous shock setup consisted of stock shocks with soft springs up front and stock springs in rear. I like the way it crawls with the new setup better just don't like the belly height. I just ordered the Edge chassis and hardware kit as well as strc links. Here are a few pics. If you guys have any tips for a beginer let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by GHRGRIMREAPER; 02-11-2009 at 10:32 AM.
GHRGRIMREAPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to this site...It's okay imo...i would get a little bit more ground clearance around 2.5", upgrade the steering links to aluminum...get a split battery pack on the axles to lower the center of gravity...star cut the foams and drill the wheels to allow air in and out.
It's just too stock...many other thoughts, but now its sounding like I'm the one building it.

I do love these crawlers tho....check out my build for some details....

My destroyer of Clods...
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #3

Thanks for the link, I noticed you are running spacers on the outside of the shock on the piston. Is there an advantage to this from running one on the inside of the shock on the piston?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yeah as the3kid said in is endless you can put aluminum steering,upper 3-link, bottom links, or you can change it to 4-link, motors to esc to like batteries, it is litteraly endless.... but you have a good start.. welcome to the exciting world of rc crawling.
REDCORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Weighted tires more up front less in the rear
Cut your foams (its like letting air out to 4X4 better)
Losi Rock Claws tires
Aluminum links and hardware upgrade kit
4 link in the rear
MaxAmps saddle packs and plate for over the front axle mounting
Lock the front axle
Instal the 14T pinion
upgrade the ESC & motor (Novak Rooster Crawler ESC motor combo)
XC-1 axial body cut so no tire rub

I know a lot of people like to keep the truck low (2.5" or 2.75") but there is a price and that is being able to clear ledges and anything that will snag the bottom of your truck and then there are people who like to run there trucks around 3" and that will raise your center of gravity. My point is that there is always a trade off and finding what works best for you is what really matters.

This is my RTR upgraded and can crawl almost anything!

Last edited by grimgard; 02-11-2009 at 03:50 PM.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Welcome Angel, looks like your off to a good start and have been doing some reading. crawling is alot of fun with endless options you just have to find out what works for you .
waterweezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i have a edge chassis and it works great. you just need to practice alot and fine tune your rig to how you drive. Everyone drive different and likes different set-up
Attached Images

4ruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #8

Yeah mine sits low and I don't like it for the crawling I do. Do you move the links around to bring her up a bit? Ordered some links with 30* bends front and back hoping that will help.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHRGRIMREAPER View Post
Yeah mine sits low and I don't like it for the crawling I do. Do you move the links around to bring her up a bit? Ordered some links with 30* bends front and back hoping that will help.
I've got the 30* links in the rear and love them, a lot less hang ups. Here is a pic of my rig so far. Oh, and welcome to a new addiction.
Attached Images

JarheadRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to rcc enjoy the greatest crawling site
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Welcome to Rcc!! Your ax10 rtr is set up pretty good for not swapping parts. They have given good direction to help make it even better. I like the re-used material for you crawling course.
lukedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote