Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: New to forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #1

Default New to forum.

I just wanted to say hi and have some questions regarding the AX10 ARTR. I have two nitro trucks so I am not new to r/c but I am new to electric. I am getting tired of bashing and have been gaining more and more interest in the rock crawlers. I want to get started in crawling but I want to be sure that what I buy will meet my initial as well as long term needs. I would rather spend extra up front on a speed control/motor set up rather than want to upgrade in a few months time. Here is what I am looking at, any suggestions would be great.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=AXIC9004&P=K
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXTJD6&P=K
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXNCR1&P=K
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXK204&P=K

I have a Futaba 3pm for the radio and a Hitec 5645 for the steering servo. I have a Dynamite charger that can handle nicad/nimh batteries up to seven cells. I guess my biggest concern in the motor, esc and battery. I would like to get it right the first time. Thanks.
Wideopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Well to start off Hello and welcome to the addiction. Glad to see the crawler bug will bite yet another guy lol! Hope you enjoy it.
Ok my suggestion would be not to get that battery but instead buy a split saddle pack 6 cell or 8 cell if u wanna get a new charger. Deff huge upgrade. That motor set up and esc is pretty nice thats what i run now in mine and love it. Deff want t run like a min of 3oz in front tires and like 2oz or none ur preff in rear. Then Next best upgrade would be Losi rock claws or w/e u like for pref. Another huge upgrade! Just my .02. Good luck!
Ax10CrawlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Forget the stick pack, go for a saddle pack instead like AX10 said, put the steering servo in the middle of the axle, batteries on each side between servo. Every thing else look fine. Welcome to the forum, and get ready to spend your money.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

What part of this giant country are you from?

...I know a lot of guys here run the Rooster, and seem to like it; I just put the Tekin FXR in mine (was an RTR) and I LOVE it. Using a Venom 55-turn motor; works well, but is noisy.

I think what you've got listed there is a great start, based on the research I'd done in past. Hopefully someone who as used both the Rooster and other ESCs can help you further.

EDIT: Oh, and about the battery - Gunnar is totally right.

Last edited by Coldnorth; 03-09-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Other people with good answers. Jeez.
Coldnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideopen View Post
I just wanted to say hi and have some questions regarding the AX10 ARTR. I have two nitro trucks so I am not new to r/c but I am new to electric. I am getting tired of bashing and have been gaining more and more interest in the rock crawlers. I want to get started in crawling but I want to be sure that what I buy will meet my initial as well as long term needs. I would rather spend extra up front on a speed control/motor set up rather than want to upgrade in a few months time. Here is what I am looking at, any suggestions would be great.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=AXIC9004&P=K
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXTJD6&P=K
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXNCR1&P=K
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXK204&P=K

I have a Futaba 3pm for the radio and a Hitec 5645 for the steering servo. I have a Dynamite charger that can handle nicad/nimh batteries up to seven cells. I guess my biggest concern in the motor, esc and battery. I would like to get it right the first time. Thanks.
Motor: I recommend to go with a Banzai, Holmes Hobby or Integy 35 turn or 45 turn
ESC: Mamba Max or Tekin FXR
Battery: I would recommend a 7 cell 1500 split pack from TCS or Maxamps
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Well the stick pack wont cut it unless you plan on breaking it down and building a split pack to fit on your axle, the rest looks good. The esc isnt very programable but it will work. If you want a very programable esc, the cc sidewinder or the cc mamba max would be excelent choices, but you will probley have to run a bec, and buy a cheap integy motor. It all depends on how much you like to tinker with your electronics, the novak is a plug and play type of esc, the cc's takes a little more work to get it just right.

By the way i am running two novaks on axial's and a mamba max on a berg and they all work great.

Last edited by paintballer9876; 03-09-2009 at 06:50 PM.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Hey Wideopen go for the tekin fxr i got two. A 55t combo and 45t combo. I rate them high so small and light which is what you want, i also have the novak goat crawler system and its was a peice of S#!T the day i took it out of its package and it still is.... TEKIN FTW.... just my .2 cents also if you want to do things right the first time get lipo batt and charger they are the go cheers>
mint355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. Any links for split 7 cell packs? Coldnorth, I am in New Brunswick.

Last edited by Wideopen; 03-10-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:04 AM   #9
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Welcome eh.
Tekin fxr 55t combo and check out cheapbatterypacks.com. The name says it all. And the are the S*&T
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:45 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Wow, except for the battery, I swear you copied my shopping cart from Tower

You won't be disappointed.
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #11
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint355 View Post
Hey Wideopen go for the tekin fxr i got two. A 55t combo and 45t combo. I rate them high so small and light which is what you want, i also have the novak goat crawler system and its was a peice of S#!T the day i took it out of its package and it still is.... TEKIN FTW.... just my .2 cents also if you want to do things right the first time get lipo batt and charger they are the go cheers>
x's2
I have 2 Tekin FX-R's and they are awesome. They are adjustable on the rocks or on the computer via the Hotwire interface. It has a great adjustable drag brake and, they are quiet, no high pitch whinning every time you touch the throttle. I understand that they just came out with a crawler specific throttle profile that is great. Definately drop some change and go lipo!! Saddle packs are old school and have no punch and are ugly hanging off your front axel. Lipos' tuck up under the body on the upper links out of sight and harm. The rooster is a glitchy P.O.S.!!! Integy makes a good and affordable 45t and 55t motor but, if you want the best go with a Holmes Hobbies.

Last edited by Pdog7; 03-10-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #12
RCC Addict

welcome aboard the forums, like myself too...and agreed...prepare to spend money, and lots of it. I find this crawler like drugs imo. i cant get off of the damn thing?

welcome!
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Everything looks great except the battery. I would use a split saddle pack for the front axle. and also besure to order more weight for the wheels. I have 7.5 oz. in the front and 3.5 oz in the rear. Oh don't for get to drill out your wheels for air release.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I was in the same situation about 2 months ago I am even using the same radio and servo.I went to the split pack and am way happier then running the stick pack. Welcome to the addiction.
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #15

The split packs that I find are only 1500mah, to me that seems low. How much run time could be expected? Thanks for the replies, it's nice to know the different options available.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

With my 1500's, I get about 25-30 minutes of runtime without noticing any negatives.

I also crawl for about 10 -15 at a time before I get called back inside for something.
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. Any links for split 7 cell packs? Coldnorth, I am in New Brunswick.
Cool. That's a long ways from here. :P

...cheapbatterybacks.com, you can order 'em through there. Or wherever else. I just ordered my Tekin FXR from RPP hobby, and it was quick to get here.

Also, I seem to get between 25 and 40 minutes out of each of my 1500 mah packs, depending on what is broken and/or malfunctioning at the time.

...get two of 'em (at least). There's nothing better than delaying that 'damn-battery-is-dead' moment.
Coldnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #18

Theanks for the replies, they have helped me make some decisions. I have ordered the Tekin FX-R 55T crawler combo, Deans connectors and some weights.
After alot of reading, I have decided to take a closer look at the lipo option. I would like to hear some opinions on this setup. I have a 12 volt power supply for the charger.

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...po-Sack&cat=33
http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-1100-111-Pack.htm
http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0403i.htm
Old 03-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #19

Talking

welcome to the addiction
mszz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

hey man, welcome. after owning an ax10 myself, i would really look at the lipo option. the esc and motor combo you have chosen is a good choice. another thing i would look at is a set of panther cougar tires. i have had three different sets of tires and these, imo, are the way to go. i run 6oz. weight up front and none in the rear and this seems to work pretty well. hope this helps.
cavie98 is offline   Reply With Quote